Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

I already told it some sides ago. And can't get me really angry. I'm just only "smiling tired" about it, because typical german old-fashion-as....es, not worth to think about.

When you are paying at the clothing store-checkstand and people without manners are already scrambling and placing their articles on the checkstand-counter, directly next to your articles, although they are not yet on their turn.

Germans:
Saving money, saving time, saving money, saving time, saving money... ;)

"GEIZ IST GEIL"-society. ("tight is right")

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Trivial yet annoying.

It's probably a policy at the checkout to ask if I need a bag for the item
I just purchased.

If it was one item and I'm done shopping and heading to the car, it
would be fine.

But when I have several items or I'm going to another store.
It's not easy to stuff them in my pockets.

Next time I need to bring a shopping bag.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The poorly-trained temps that UPS hires during the holiday rush who always manage to lose at least one vital movie shipment that I have to spend the better part of three days -- far into the night, with constant phone calls between here and the West Coast -- trying to track down, only for UPS to admit that they did, in fact, lose the package and the distributor will have to overnight me a replacement that I'll have to spend all day tomorrow waiting for in hopes it will arrive in time for me to test it, and with no guarantee that the boneheads won't lose it as well.

Say what you will about the USPS, but I never, ever have these kinds of problems with them.

The poorly-trained temps that UPS hires during the holiday rush who always manage to lose at least one vital movie shipment that I have to spend the better part of three days -- far into the night, with constant phone calls between here and the West Coast -- trying to track down, only for UPS to admit that they did, in fact, lose the package and the distributor will have to overnight me a replacement that I'll have to spend all day tomorrow waiting for in hopes it will arrive in time for me to test it, and with no guarantee that the boneheads won't lose it as well.

Say what you will about the USPS, but I never, ever have these kinds of problems with them.

Back in my vagabond youth, when my gainful employment was an ad hoc affair and movies shown at the theaters were 35 millimeter prints which were transported from place to liace in steel cans (two cans, generally, weighing a combined 70 pounds or so), I worked for a bit with a couple of fly-by-night operators of my prior acquaintance who had set themselves up in the courier business. Among the more lucrative pieces of that trade was getting movies to and from the more remote theaters. A hundred miles or more at something approaching taxicab rates per mile made for a good night.

I was left with the impression that such an expense was justifiable in light of the value of the print itself (thousands, I was told), and the potential for greater ill should the shipment get "misdirected."

But, you know, that's just what I was told. And I've been told a lot of things.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
2:45 driving on the highway, all the stoplights on the cars ahead of me come on, so I know, rush hour has started! Didn't take to long to see the cause, a wreck, one car stopped in the left lane, the car in front of it, upside down. Not sure how that could have happened, it was on a straight stretch of road, no ice or gravel, couldn't ask for better conditions. Odd thing, the car in front of me was a State Patrol Trooper, and he just drove right by! Maybe, it's because their motto is way to long to remember? "It shall be their duty to promote safety, protect human life and preserve the highways of Colorado by the intelligent, courteous, and strict enforcement of the laws and regulation of this state relating to highways."

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Here's one: every time I've bought a car from a friend we've messed up the process and it's resulted in letters from the DMV or getting stopped because registration isn't in the system, or what-have-you. The process is confusing to my little brain and at this point I still couldn't list all the steps. I'm just not good at tearing through red tape ever. When one of my parents dies it will be a nightmare.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't tell you about Wisconsin, but in Michigan they encourage you to complete the transaction right in the Secretary of State ("DMV") office. They get the sales tax right away and you get the assurance the transfer is done correctly.

...When one of my parents dies it will be a nightmare.

Um, yes, sure, the red-tape around the death of a parent is brutal. It will tie up over a year and that's for someone without any meaningful assets / complications. But most would say the emotional toll is the bigger issue.

Macabre kidding aside, it is a web of red tape to get all straightened out and there's no "master plan," you just fumble your way there.

I couldn't tell you about Wisconsin, but in Michigan they encourage you to complete the transaction right in the Secretary of State ("DMV") office. They get the sales tax right away and you get the assurance the transfer is done correctly.

I just a couple days ago ridded myself of a car bearing State of Washington plates here in Colorado. The title was issued by Washington as well. There's a tear-off section on the certificate of title called "seller's report of sale," which the seller is to deliver to the state's Department of Licensing within five days of sale. This is to protect the seller, lest the buyer fails to put the vehicle in his name and gets parking tickets or, worse, causes a collision with the vehicle that, as far as official records indicate, still belongs to the person who believed it was out of his life.

I phoned the DOL with a couple of questions, to be as certain as I could be that this vehicle would never come back to bite me. The charming and helpful woman instructed me in the use of their gee-whiz online seller's report of sale. Took about a minute, and I shortly thereafter got email verification that in the view of the State of Washington's Department of Licensing, that motor vehicle no longer belongs to me.

I got no complaints.

My mother lost her -- uh -- boyfriend of 28 years this week, and the battling with his relatives over The Will has already begun. And I get an earful of it by phone every morning, whether I want to hear about it or not. Death brings out the very worst in the living.

To the best our knowledge, neither I nor my lovely missus are in a terminal condition, but, you know, people in apparently better health than either of us will croak today.

We spent a bit of scratch with an attorney specializing in estate planning. This should uncomplicate matters for the one of us who survives the other (provided we don't shuffle off together) and those who survive both of us.

I can only hope that my dear old ma has taken similar action. I would of course rather not bring up the subject with her. But should I and my two remaining siblings survive her, I would much prefer to be spared the arm-wrestling. I assume, based on more than just hunches, that her estate will be a modest one. But if there's more than a couple of bucks to be had, I assume, based on what I know of these characters (particularly one who shall remain nameless) that avarice will rear its head.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My mother lost her -- uh -- boyfriend of 28 years this week, and the battling with his relatives over The Will has already begun. And I get an earful of it by phone every morning, whether I want to hear about it or not. Death brings out the very worst in the living.

Only thing I ever received upon the death of a relative was about $800 from an insurance policy when my mother died. And that went to cover adoption costs for our oldest son.

My sister got everything when a rich bachelor uncle died. I bear no grudge: she put up with a lot from the old ba***rd (including his incontinence) before he finally took the dirt nap. Additionally, her husband is in his late 50's and a former employer screwed up their 401(k): after nearly four decades there he ended up with less than ten grand.

It's best to not count upon anyone leaving you money when they die: those who deserve it rarely get it, and those who do get it uaually piddle it away on nonsense. You know: like so many lottery winners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally