Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Liver is beneath my contempt. :D

WOW, this is getting better and better! I'm honestly having a hard time controlling my laughing; don't want to wake the kid from his nap!

Priceless... this thread is turning out better than I thought!

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I just figured that since my own liver is beneath my contempt........;) :p

Well, it is Friday, so I'm sure there will more than one of us showing our respective livers a little contempt before the night is over.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Well my goodness! My head was big before this thread, but now I'm surely convinced that I should be Miss America! Er, Mrs. America! Maybe queen! Yes, Queen sounds good. You may all worship me at my Court soon, which will take place in Dita Von Teese's hat room. We'll serve high-brow beer and Combos, and I'll be the short one riding the Unicorn. See you there!

*Seriously, gosh thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
When I first joined I was cautious about encountering snobbery from the 'vintage only' members, as opposed to others like me, who are mainly interested in repro but I'm happy to say I've never once noticed this happening. There's a place for every enthusiast here and I think the Loungers in general are very accepting of eachothers tastes.

That is because the women in the PR don't engage in it as much. I have seen it at times in the men's clothing forums.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Snobs? I look down on snobs.

From a great height.

And laugh.

Like now. And when I read the first post.

I think somebody missed their nap-time! BTW, can I borrow some duct tape?

Short Clara, I'll bring the skittles, and a horse. I am not qualified to ride a unicorn.

surely

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
I hesitate to put forward such an idea because all it will do is decrease the number of people willing to share photos of their cool stuff without fear of feeling that they are being perceived as snobby. :eusa_doh: So that feeling works both ways. I don't post many pictures of what I have because of it.
I am sure many collectors here have the attitude that they collect purely for their own enjoyment---as do I. I am just glad that someone is sharing nice suits, hats, shoes, etc, etc when they really don't have to do so. It gives one an example and teaches the novice. This site would be like a dry textbook without pictures.

Yes it does work both ways.

I certainly do not want to decrease the amt of photos; quite the opposite. But I see your point. Mine is that there are moments during the telling of a story when snobbery may sneak in. To be called out each time is ridiculous.

But for us to discuss this openly should, if theory be correct, be a 'good thing'. I think we are in the process of creating an atmosphere and techniques where collectors and hat users alike can post without fear of being a snob or being called a snob.

airforceindy said:
There we go... I finally get a :cheers1: :D

Samuel Adams, here I come...

Are you sure you don't want one of these?:
IrinaVoronina.jpg

The beer just in case you can't see it. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member