Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

filfoster

One Too Many
MAD at MEN

Two thoughts on this show.
Jon Ham is one of those actors who manages to look perfect in his part and yet nothing like his character in real life. Amazing.

I grew up in a very small Ohio town in the fifties and sixties but I tell you this: these 60 minutes are like a time machine back to a wonderful, safe,familiar world of drinking, smoking, comparatively well-dressed, groomed adults who honored all the useful hypocrisy. Let's stipulate their horrible social and political viewpoints, from today's vantage, and just enjoy their world for a few moments.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
But we tend to harp on what they are wearing.. ;)

This is certainly true. When we were kids, we actually had our pants over our bums and they fit right. You know how that went, mom made you put on the pants, made you spin around then stuck her fingers in the waistline and tugged it a few times. lol Nowadays as you already know they're halfway down the kids rear or lower. I don't want to see anyone's bum or they're funky drawers. That's not style, that's laziness!

High Pockets

Practically Family
filfoster said:
I grew up in a very small Ohio town in the fifties and sixties but I tell you this: these 60 minutes are like a time machine back to a wonderful, safe,familiar world of drinking, smoking, comparatively well-dressed, groomed adults who honored all the useful hypocrisy. Let's stipulate their horrible social and political viewpoints, from today's vantage, and just enjoy their world for a few moments.

I spent the 50's and 60's on Long Island,.....not only in that time, but almost that location and I remember it well. The show is my little trip back to a part of my life long since gone and I love it.

There are many political and social viewpoints today that are just as wrong as those back then.

Weston

A-List Customer
Really? We finish up the episode where Kennedy is shot, the whole thing seems ready to go to pieces, and no more discussion?

I did note that there was very little of the next episode in the preview. Maybe it's wall to wall surprises?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jump_The_Shark.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Hip Hopalong

mannySpaghetti said:
This is certainly true. When we were kids, we actually had our pants over our bums and they fit right. You know how that went, mom made you put on the pants, made you spin around then stuck her fingers in the waistline and tugged it a few times. lol Nowadays as you already know they're halfway down the kids rear or lower. I don't want to see anyone's bum or they're funky drawers. That's not style, that's laziness!
I admit this belongs in a new or different thread but I had to agree with your observation. Each generation is entitled to their 'look' but the preceeding ones have mercifully faded into passe'. When will this awful 'fashion' go that way? It just seems to hang on forever. But then, everything happens last in Cincinnati so maybe the 'crotch at the knees' thing has already subsided elsewhere and will disappear here in another ten years or so. Please God, give me the strength to see it so!

filfoster

One Too Many
GO WEST, young man!

High Pockets said:
I spent the 50's and 60's on Long Island,.....not only in that time, but almost that location and I remember it well. The show is my little trip back to a part of my life long since gone and I love it.

There are many political and social viewpoints today that are just as wrong as those back then.
LI to Oklahoma! Man, that is a move! From uber-urban to wide open spaces. How long did it take to adjust to that?

filfoster

One Too Many
Nuts! -Anthony MacAuliffe

Marc Chevalier said:

You know those slick TV commercials that win scads of awards for agencies but fail to make the products memorable and meaningful? Everyone remembers those ads; few can recall what they actually advertise.

Mad Men has become that. Slick on the outside, sure; but who can say what the nut of it is?

I think Don Draper is nuts for dining out when he has Betty at home.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Wow, so let's get this straight: some writers got what? 50K? 100K? to scribble a hundred or so lines of reaction to news footage anyone could watch on youtube? Forget about Seinfeld. This is truly the show where nothing happens.

I still enjoy the show. Many people view JFK's assassination as a turning point for this country, and I believe that is what the writers were intending to convey for the show - a turning point toward complete change in each of the character's lives. Betty considering leaving Don, Don's secret is out, crazy teacher getting dumped, Joan's husband joining the Army and more than likely shipping off to Vietnam, Sterling Cooper for sale again, Pete's unhappiness at work, Sal losing his job, Roger and Jane's lackluster marriage... The carefree, secretary-chasing liquid lunch lifestyle they've all enjoyed for so many years is grinding to a halt. The end of Camelot, not just for the Kennedy family.

Pete even made the comment, "It felt for a minute like everything was about to change." Well, everything is.

At least, it better. lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
filfoster said:
I think Don Draper is nuts for dining out when he has Betty at home.
Yeah, but she's a self-centered little girl who has never grown up. He always strays with a strong, self-empowered woman. Even if she wasn't nuts, marriages grow stale all the time, they just didn't have the luxury of divorce. Think about it, Billy Joel got tired of Christie Brinkely, Brad Pitt got tired of Jennifer Anniston. Just because Betty is pretty on the outside doesn't mean she has enough of what he needs on the inside to keep him.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
Yeah, but she's a self-centered little girl who has never grown up. He always strays with a strong, self-empowered woman. Even if she wasn't nuts, marriages grow stale all the time, they just didn't have the luxury of divorce. Think about it, Billy Joel got tired of Christie Brinkely, Brad Pitt got tired of Jennifer Anniston. Just because Betty is pretty on the outside doesn't mean she has enough of what he needs on the inside to keep him.

I'm not convinced ANY woman could keep Don.

I think the fact that his entire life as Don Draper was a lie just meant that he could do whatever he wanted, with anyone, and avoid any consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe