Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:

You know those slick TV commercials that win scads of awards for agencies but fail to make the products memorable and meaningful? Everyone remembers those ads; few can recall what they actually advertise.

Mad Men has become that. Slick on the outside, sure; but who can say what the nut of it is?

I've been wondering how long it would take for people to catch on..
;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kamikat said:
Yeah, but she's a self-centered little girl who has never grown up. He always strays with a strong, self-empowered woman. Even if she wasn't nuts, marriages grow stale all the time, they just didn't have the luxury of divorce. Think about it, Billy Joel got tired of Christie Brinkely, Brad Pitt got tired of Jennifer Anniston. Just because Betty is pretty on the outside doesn't mean she has enough of what he needs on the inside to keep him.

Right - she's pretty...but inside, she's pretty empty. She's cold with Don, cold with the kids (and especially

She opened up a little with the divorcee neighbor's son who had a crush on her, and showed more caring for him than she did her own children.

Always the pouty little look, distant, cold.Part of it may be that's ALL she can do in the way of acting - she's pretty one-dimensional.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kamikat said:
Yeah, but she's a self-centered little girl who has never grown up. He always strays with a strong, self-empowered woman. Even if she wasn't nuts, marriages grow stale all the time, they just didn't have the luxury of divorce. Think about it, Billy Joel got tired of Christie Brinkely, Brad Pitt got tired of Jennifer Anniston. Just because Betty is pretty on the outside doesn't mean she has enough of what he needs on the inside to keep him.

Right - as Betty Drapher, she's pretty...yet inside, she's pretty empty. She's cold with Don, cold with the kids (and especially the older son). She opened up a little with the divorcee neighbor's son who had a crush on her, and showed far more concern and care for him than she's ever done for her own children.

Now she's playing on again, off again with the politician. He says he wants to marry her now, after just knowing her a relatively few days while she was working on the reservoir project and the fundraiser for Rockefeller. And she's apparently all set to go for it. Her father's attorney's already pointed out what a stupid idea divorcing Don would be.

Always the pouty little look, distant, cold. Part of it may be that's ALL she's capable of in the way of acting. She's pretty one-dimensional. So what does January Jones do to try to prove she's not jus a pretty face, and that she's got talent as an actress? She shows the naysayers by doing a photospread in GQ with her boobs hanging out. Brilliant...just brillliant.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
I'm not convinced ANY woman could keep Don.

I think the fact that his entire life as Don Draper was a lie just meant that he could do whatever he wanted, with anyone, and avoid any consequences.
I agree with you there. Don Draper is just a role to Dick, therefore Don's vows aren't really Dick's vows. That's why I'm really curious to see how things pan out now that Betty knows about Dick.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
I agree with you there. Don Draper is just a role to Dick, therefore Don's vows aren't really Dick's vows. That's why I'm really curious to see how things pan out now that Betty knows about Dick.

Yeah, you could feel his shock when she confronted him in the kitchen and he dropped his cigarette.

Tiller

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
I'm not convinced ANY woman could keep Don.

I think the fact that his entire life as Don Draper was a lie just meant that he could do whatever he wanted, with anyone, and avoid any consequences.

I'm not so sure of that, I thought he looked hurt when Betty tore him down and said she was leaving him, and how he ruined everything.

Plus we've already seen that he can't handle doing "whatever he wanted, with anyone, and avoid any consequences." his brother hanging himself has had a huge affect on him whether he admits it outright or not. His breaking down over it shows that at least a part of him regrets it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I definitely saw Don's vulnerability when Betty dropped the bombshell that she didn't love him. He, of course, didn't want to deal with it and treated her like a child at first - "you'll feel better in the morning." I almost, almost felt sorry for him.

I really like how they used Kennedy's assassination as a catalyst for so many things in the show. And then there's the whole thing with Roger and Joan...methinks they will be getting back together again.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
a lil dab will do ya

Senator Jack said:
Axe? Smooth and sophisticated? About as sophisticated as a locker room.

Goofy, eh?
Surprised Brylcreem hasnt been tapped for an endorsement...

3518559357_7a58e3f381.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
What a great finale,.......I wish the new season started next week.

(I still find it hard to believe that I actually allowed the producers of a television series to hook me and reel me in like this.)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Great finale. They were so right to have the Kennedy thing in the penultimate episode. Season 3 turned out to be the best so far.

Does anybody know if season 4 is filming or what's happening?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe