Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I could,..............(What business would you start)???

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Thanks so much VargasBaby and CanadaDoll. Hopefully this is just the impetus I need! ;)

Miss Neecerie said:
I would open up a shop that dispensed common sense...and maturity. Maybe some Kindness in a refrigerated display near the side wall.

I love that!
Only problem is, those who really need it aren't really buying.
I'm afraid you might have to chase some people down the street to give it to them! lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
Thanks so much VargasBaby and CanadaDoll. Hopefully this is just the impetus I need! ;)

I love that!
I'm afraid you might have to chase some people down the street to give it to them! lol

Yea...well this was dream-land stuff.....:D

Josephine

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:

She'd do booming business with gift boxes of the stuff. "I don't need any, but my sister in law, on the other hand..." :D

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well now...

A couple of things have been on my mind for years:

- A vintage car restoration garage to completely restore vehicles from the tires up.

- An airplane production facility to reproduce vintage aircraft in the new carbon fiber technology with modern components and modern technologies. Old airplanes, new again!

-A photo/video production facility with studios, equipment, fractional ownerships and rentals.

-A garage band of middle-aged guys like me who only want to play Merseybeat as if we're still in the Cavern Club in Liverpool! :D

Dixon Cannon said:
- An airplane production facility to reproduce vintage aircraft in the new carbon fiber technology with modern components and modern technologies. Old airplanes, new again!
Great minds think alike, Dix! "I do the research and concepting, you do the final re-engineering and shop-management" sound good?

Other thing is, how big would you go? I happen to have an application in mind for a 185'x160' airframe... hotrodding a B-52!:eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to have a plant nursery and/or market gardener for fruits, veggies, and culinary herbs.

I'm not a vegetarian but there's a lot of people who don't want their veggies sprayed down with herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides and then creepily waxed to a fine gloss.

The plant nursery aspect is appealling because I like to encourage other people to try a little gardening, and its nice in a neighborhood like where I live now, where you don't just see lawns but also decorative trees and flower-beds and immaculate vegetable gardens.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Drive-In Movie Theater/Driving Range.
Vintage publishing Co., publishing old fiction and new articles.
Film restoration.
Single screen movie theater.
10pm-10am Coffee shop.
Barcade.
An e-book device that actually makes it worth it + an e-book distr. website.
Literary rag.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
I am glad I asked.....................

the question in the first place.

The responses have been wonderful and display great imagination.
Great desire to be and to do something of import.

It is our lot to earn our bread in occasionally dull, mundane or boring occupations in order to survive.
Our dreams allow that survival.

Each of us have dreams. Sometimes fulfilled and sometimes there to be dreamed of again and again.

Each response has been the equivilent of a display of art of the individual's mind.
I wish all success in fulfillment. Or at the very least, good dreams.
G.Ashe;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Gideon Ashe said:
the question in the first place.

The responses have been wonderful and display great imagination.
Great desire to be and to do something of import.

It is our lot to earn our bread in occasionally dull, mundane or boring occupations in order to survive.
Our dreams allow that survival.

Each of us have dreams. Sometimes fulfilled and sometimes there to be dreamed of again and again.

Each response has been the equivilent of a display of art of the individual's mind.
I wish all success in fulfillment. Or at the very least, good dreams.
G.Ashe;)
Thanks Gideon, and thanks for starting this thread and reminding us of our dreams.
My group is in an old somewhat rundown neighborhood on Cleveland's east side. But not too far gone just yet.
I hear encouraging news every time I'm there about a grant for our new art colony. I am certain it will happen. We have backing from no less than our area's state representative, among other notables.
I can envision a thriving street of businesses here in the near future! :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shoes, beautiful shoes, mmmmm....

I would like to have a custom shoe company to satisfy my yearning for period shoes that actually fit my oddly proportioned feet! Mayching bags, of course.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Limousines

I would start an executive limousine company. I would have contracts with high-end hotels and large corporations. My drivers would be the best available, with extensive training in defensive driving and security. They would be courteous and helpful, impeccably dressed and groomed, competent and quiet. My cars would not be available for parties, weddings, proms, concerts or celebrity functions. My standards for employees and clients would be very high.

The majority of my fleet would be traditional luxury cars: Lincoln, Cadillac, Rolls Royce and Mercedes, in factory, formal or standard stretch (thirty-six inches or less) only. The colors would be black, white, dark burgundy, midnight blue, or silver. Some of the cars would be classics. No SUVs, Hummers, trucks or super-stretch conversions; no hot tubs or multi-axle cars. I would also provide executive vans, such as these. The vans would be available for long-distance travel, if needed by the client.

The only unique conversions I'd have would be a couple of 1966 Lincolns. I've thought about this for many years: I'd take a sedan and a convertible. I'd cut both cars between their clam-shell doors; the sedan would be cut across the top at the same point, the convertible top, of course, wouldn't need cutting (except to modify the header to keep the lines smooth), just the windshield header moved. Both cars would be stretched accordingly, and the back ends would be swapped. Can you see where I'm going? One car would have a hard top over the driver and a working convertible top over the passengers. The other would be a convertible over the driver and a sedan over the passenger compartment. These would be available only to exclusive customers, but more than likely would become my personal cars. :)

My company would be called, "Private," spelled out in small, elegant script centered low on the non-door side windows, and except for the license plates (PVT 1, PVT 2, PVT 3, etc.), there would be no other advertisement on the cars; not even the company phone number (all advertising would be direct mail or word-of-mouth). All of my regular clients would know their driver personally.

Lee

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
I would love to open a diner and serve all my granny's classic recipe's.

Ooh, that's a lovely idea! I'd love to do that too...but neither of my grandmothers could/can cook. So I'd open up a restaurant that only served the bizarre fare featured in cookbooks pre-1960. There could be theme nights (1942 Ration Nite! Bring your coupons! or...A Jell-o Fantasy Evening). I'm just not sure how long I'd be able to stay open. Very narrow clientele...lol

zaika

One Too Many
I'd like to have a fiber farm. Raise all manner of sheep, goats, rabbits and other animals with fur/hair I could spin into yarn. Then I'd dye it and sell skeins and hanks of wool...or weave the wool into blankets...or make socks.
But I love living in the city...I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't like a herd of Icelandic sheep gallivanting through their yards.

sweetfrancaise said:
:eek:fftopic: I'm so thrilled right now to see that reference...!
I'll see his "cold" and raise "cryogenic, right alongside the liquid-nitrogen tank"...lol;) :D

sweetfrancaise said:
Ooh, that's a lovely idea! I'd love to do that too...but neither of my grandmothers could/can cook. So I'd open up a restaurant that only served the bizarre fare featured in cookbooks pre-1960. There could be theme nights (1942 Ration Nite! Bring your coupons! or...A Jell-o Fantasy Evening). I'm just not sure how long I'd be able to stay open. Very narrow clientele...lol
Sounds fun, as long as ya also got WiFi...:D You'd probably last longer than Dix and I as planebuilders*, that's for sure! Let's see, you could probably deal with VargasBaby or CanadaDoll on baked goods, Viola for vegetables and spices... how many other potential business combinations could we come up with? (Personally, I think this paired with my "cruise train" idea would be a natural, for one.)

*No offense intended, Mr. Cannon, just that there're so few people who are interested in and can afford the kind of stuff we both mentioned...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A Cigar Lounge

I would open a nice, Havanna style cigarclub. With a bar and some tapas by the side. But most of all: A place for gents - and lassies - to come in, sit down and enjoy a cigar in nice, cool surrounding with som nice cuban music.
Every saturday evening there would be livemusic - cuban or cool jazz.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
my oddly proportioned feet!

[huh] I'm not sure I want to know. Now I've got images in my head of a pretty gal who just happens to have 6 toes on one foot ... the left foot is a size 3, while the right is a size 10 ... a corn the size of Des Moines ... a strange and disturbing "Igor limp". But then I see your photo and I think, nah ... it can't be ... but she is sitting down ... and I can't see her feet. :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Richard

sweetfrancaise said:

Or if not a diner a place like in Mildred Pierce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld