Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

billyspew

One Too Many
Won this recently...
CAVANAGH_08.jpg

Happy with it, though not sure yet if it'll fit. Very early Adam example though.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I guess I should have put a smiley emoticon after my comment. Would that have seemed more friendly? Sorry if my response wasn't what you were looking for. It actually was meant to be humorous.

I'd like to think that many of my posts here are helpful to others. This is just one of those topics where many are not going to be inclined to share information on.

B

I know your posts have been very helpful to me!
CC :D :D

fmw

One Too Many
It's a head scratcher for me. I can buy a brand new whippet at the Resistol Outlet for $99 and find them to be as good as any vintage hat I've had. I have two of them. Now I haven't had a vintage whippet so there might be something special about them. I, personally, wouldn't spend $239 to find out. I'd spend the money on a professionally made custom. I guess I'm just an outsider when it comes to vintage hats.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a head scratcher for me. I can buy a brand new whippet at the Resistol Outlet for $99 and find them to be as good as any vintage hat I've had. I have two of them. Now I haven't had a vintage whippet so there might be something special about them. I, personally, wouldn't spend $239 to find out. I'd spend the money on a professionally made custom. I guess I'm just an outsider when it comes to vintage hats.

To me, the appeal of a vintage hat, apart from wearing something old and previously in fashion, is the particular look you get with it. If you are angling for a certain look that you don't find on the current new hat market, a vintage can be a good way to go. I pick them up from time to time; would do so again for a Stetson 25 or 100, or any other hat whose looks I like, occasionally. For $239 a Whippet would be good for someone who wants that look of that era. Whippets don't get my engine running, so I wouldn't be a customer. All in all I am aiming for the new hat market, custom or off the shelf. Above all, I think vintage hats are good for imbuing "character" that one might be seeking. As I have gotten older, I feel I need that much less. Someone in his 20s or 30s might want it. But at my age I'm my own character now.

I've had pristine vintage Whippet & a Stetsonian. I own a modern Stetson Sovereign Roadmaster & 2 Pinnacles. Even the 100% beaver Pinnacles don't hold a candle to the vintage hats Stetson once put out & the Whippet is just a Royal Stetson grade. NO Way you can compare a modern Whippet to a vintage one, apples & oranges.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I really wanted the long hair Optimo that sold this morning. REALLY wanted it. Wanted it badly enough to come in second place. In the end, I just picked a number that would allow me to be happy to win it and happy not to at the price.

Still stings though... just a bit.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007