Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fmw

One Too Many
One of the things I like about vintage hats, I forgot to mention, is that they appear in styles that either you forgot about, or diid not expect, that look good. So they jar your idea of styles. The only problem with doing all custom hats, unless you have a visionary hatmaker, is that when you just echo your own thoughts and perfect your own thoughts in the specifications for a custom hat, you easily could get into a sameness and a rut about the kind of hat you're wearing. I do look to vintage hats to show successful styles of the past that might look good, which I did not imagine or couldn't specify to a hatmaker. If left to my own devices, all hats that I would custom-make would gravitate toward the same thing.

That makes sense. I ordered the custom by sending a photo and measurements of one of my own hats. It has great lines but is made of cheap wool felt. I had bought it originally because I simply loved the way it looked. I asked the hatter to make a version of it in a different color and, of course, with better felt. Rather than getting something completely new, I just upgraded and expanded what I already had. So I did exactly what you are talking about.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about this one? Would this be a candidate to wet my feet with a high quality vintage?

Looks nice. My size too! I won't bid though, I have an Alessandria from Peters Brothers, that's enough for now. Looks like a good hat. I'm pretty sure the price won't stay at 40 though, probably get up to 150 before it's done.

fmw

One Too Many
Looks nice. My size too! I won't bid though, I have an Alessandria from Peters Brothers, that's enough for now. Looks like a good hat. I'm pretty sure the price won't stay at 40 though, probably get up to 150 before it's done.

My bid was quite a bit more than $40. That was the minimum bid amount. We'll see how it goes. I trust this will settle the new vs. old question for me.

Last edited:
Yes I would like a better picture for that amount of money. It's not a hat that I remember Sinatra wearing in a picture. My father in law is a BIG Frank fan.
So I have seen several of Frank's straw porkpie hat pictures I like this hat.
frank-sinatra.jpg

I think I just bought it.

danofarlington

My father in law is a BIG Frank fan.

My late father was a big Frank fan also. My grandfather (born 1902) was a big Al Jolson fan. Elvis, a great, was a little before my time. I liked the Beatles. My question is, who was the greatest and most influential American singer of the 20th Century? Would it be Jolson, Crosby, Sinatra, Elvis, or Tiny Tim?

fmw

One Too Many
My late father was a big Frank fan also. My grandfather (born 1902) was a big Al Jolson fan. Elvis, a great, was a little before my time. I liked the Beatles. My question is, who was the greatest and most influential American singer of the 20th Century? Would it be Jolson, Crosby, Sinatra, Elvis, or Tiny Tim?

Tiny Tim for sure. Well....mayby Lady Ga Ga.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I am pretty sure it must have been Bobby Sherman.

No?

Well, I am no Elvis fan, but I'd dare say it really was Elvis and not Jolson. After all, the Beatles were not Americans, danofarlington!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Probably ALL of those though my vote would go for Billy Holiday. :)

Onward thru the ICE :)

danofarlington

I am pretty sure it must have been Bobby Sherman.

No?

Well, I am no Elvis fan, but I'd dare say it really was Elvis and not Jolson. After all, the Beatles were not Americans, danofarlington!

I know, I just wanted everyone to know who my favorite is. But for American singers, I often think that the most recent one tops the list in the estimation of the people currently alive and discussing, which doesn't really throw light on which one might be best or most influential. So I would expect many more votes for Elvis than Sinatra, more for Sinatra than Crosby, and more for Crosby than Jolson. I think Jolson or Sinatra in the end were more influential, but that's just a pedestrian opinion. Except for Bobby Sherman. Now, there was a singer! And unforgettable? In the same class as Wayne Newton. And Barry Manilow.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I often think that the most recent one tops the list in the estimation of the people currently alive and discussing, which doesn't really throw light on which one might be best or most influential.

I wonder if that line of reasoning could be applied to something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007