Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

warbird

One Too Many
It does seem that used fedoras in sizes larger than 7-1/8 are much farther and fewer between than 7-1/8 and under.

Yep. 6 7/8, 7 and 7 1/8 were the most popular sizes by far during that era, so many more hats made in those sizes. I think the most popular sizes today are 7 1/8, 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. So people are getting bigger headed. ;) Fortunately for me I am 7LO, 7 1/8. I'm still trying to unload some 7 1/4 that are too big for ma head. I know how to keep my ego in check.

The good news is there are a lot of vintage hats out there my size. The bad news there is still a lot of competition for them. Seems the ones I am interested in still go for a lot. If you like stingies you can get hats for cheap.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Wegener Blitzenrod Melone

!CERzDsg!2k~$(KGrHqQOKpEE0WD9-hRvBNRZ20WU5!~~0_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...UQZXK8cyejBBK8vskw%3D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1156

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
7 3/8 (LO preferably)
I feel there is much competition and unfortunately with my circumstances I can't throw down $125 on every vintage hat :/

If you are patient, you can get some good hats in that size (my size) for under $50 dollars.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I thought that was a great looking older 25... glad you caught it. Look forward to seeing more pictures when you've had a chance to give the JTL touch.

Thanks, Alan (and gents). I have been waiting a long, long time for the right "25" to come along -- it's the one Stetson quality designation in the Stetson OR/Western line that I have never been able to find. Admittedly, I've been holding out for an older one...;) Fingers crossed -- this lid looks very promising. :)

Dan -- it's a western, and not an OR. Ribbon is a two-cord. Judging by the photos, I'm guessing 3 1/4" on the brim.

Cheers,
JtL

Chinaski

One Too Many
Alex, as Yeps posited, you'll need to practice some diligence and patience. I fished one of my finest lids from the 'bay for $56, shipping included because is was poorly listed. I could tell it was probably a decent hat, but it threw others off enough that it was a good gamble. This is a hat that should have gone for $150+.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So far, I haven't been able to, but I haven't been in the hat game too long so I suppose time will tell.

Yeah, they really are once in a blue moon, but they are out there. You might also pick up a hat stretcher. That lets me by 7 1/4 hats, which are easier to find.

fmw

One Too Many
I think it relates to luck more than anything. Some people leave important key words out of the titles and causes them to drop from many searches. The hat pictured below is an Akubra that arrived brand new with the original tags, hat box and wind cord. I wasn't expecting a new hat. It was described as an Aussie hat in the title without brand or size. Apparently not many buyers put that in their searches. The shipping was an outrageous $25 but the final bid price was only $22 for a total of $47 delivered. You can buy a brand new Akubra or any other brand for under $50 if you are at the right place and time with the right head size.

flinders.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Here is an idea "What is your favorite Saved search title for Ebay?" I use my iPhone for ebay as it is with me all the time and I can keep track of hat that I am Watching. I also have a bunch of saved searches. So What are your favorite search titles.
That get results.

buler

I'll Lock Up
You can take my word for it: really nice vintage hats in 6 7/8 are a very rare thing these days... :(

Mario, if you only knew all of the 6 7/8 hats I've left behind in antique malls you would cry. But, that doesn't mean I don't have a few......;)

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here is an idea "What is your favorite Saved search title for Ebay?" I use my iPhone for ebay as it is with me all the time and I can keep track of hat that I am Watching. I also have a bunch of saved searches. So What are your favorite search titles.
That get results.

They are in my safe next to my Coke recipe.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007