Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

You're tellin me! Is it because there's high demand for a smaller quantity?

It is more about the other folks with that size head you are bidding against which equates to higher prices for that quantity of hats in that size. The prices at the 7 5/8 size get slightly higher too. There aren't that many nice vintage hats in the upper sizes. You also hit some pockets in the smaller sizes where deeper pockets get the nicer lids offered. You are swimming in a school with some pretty large sharks....

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is more about the other folks with that size head you are bidding against which equates to higher prices for that quantity of hats in that size. The prices at the 7 5/8 size get slightly higher too. There aren't that many nice vintage hats in the upper sizes. You also hit some pockets in the smaller sizes where deeper pockets get the nicer lids offered. You are swimming in a school with some pretty large sharks....

All that said though, there is a large number of vintage hats for sale on E Bay, and many of them seem to escape high prices.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Just wanting to help people.

They are in my safe next to my Coke recipe.

B

Such a friendly bunch. There are VTG "manufactors NAME".
Also using all cap's helps. mispelling of a manufactors name.
Is it really that hard to teach people how to use Ebay. I collect many things.
I have used the internet for collecting since the 1989 on compuserve. I always teach people the ropes. I wear my hats so I do not require the finest type just one to fit my head. Nothing more nothing less. I was just hoping others would be interested in helping others.

!CERzDsg!2k~$(KGrHqQOKpEE0WD9-hRvBNRZ20WU5!~~0_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...UQZXK8cyejBBK8vskw%3D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1156

This is truely a rare find! First pre WWII Wegener and from a US source!

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have used the internet for collecting since the 1989 on compuserve. I always teach people the ropes. I wear my hats so I do not require the finest type just one to fit my head. Nothing more nothing less. I was just hoping others would be interested in helping others.

Man. That sounds like a lot of work. I recommend that everyone with a size 7 or 7-1/8 give up. It's just too hard.

buler

I'll Lock Up

I guess I should have put a smiley emoticon after my comment. Would that have seemed more friendly? Sorry if my response wasn't what you were looking for. It actually was meant to be humorous.

I'd like to think that many of my posts here are helpful to others. This is just one of those topics where many are not going to be inclined to share information on.

B

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Trying out something new...just picked up this Milan. I have no idea if it was a decent deal or not - I know nothing about them. I just know that I didn't have one and it was in my size. I wear alot of straw hats in Orlando.
Bianchi Flicker Milan 7 3/8

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge LSR. Did something wrong? Not at all. You got one stellar deal though, well done.:eusa_clap When you do receive though, be sure to post a few pictures of it in action.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. The "in" part of that is that other hats with the same proportions and felt typically don't fetch as much as a hat with a particular model name. Stratoliner and Whippet are hot names, that normally bring higher prices. I would have expected your hat to go for closer to $250.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I've finally joined the white hat club!!

This is a maker I've never heard of before. It says on the liner "Layton Imperial, by Sherman." The band calls this model "the Senator." Has a big wide, 3" brim. 1940s? Anyone?

This thing has a ton of shallow moth nibbles on it, but there are so many that it almost makes the the thing look uniform! Also the thread on the brim binding is yellowed and impossible to clean, sadly. I had it soaking in the "stuff" for about 2 hours early this morning. It looked far, far worse, believe me.

When I got this one it was a twofer. A chocolate brown one in the exact same model was with it. I am working on that now, but it is in worse shape than the white one.

5408746408_2dee6dc611.jpg

5408746468_a56c457d56.jpg

5408746514_6efb7b9507.jpg

5408746556_d97a714ded.jpg

5408137601_e4497cd80f.jpg

I paid $50 each and they came in a double hat, Merrimac hat box. So, $110 for the lot.
5408811436_0c520f5b4b.jpg

5408202163_66b820b1e0.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I've finally joined the white hat club!!

This is a maker I've never heard of before. It says on the liner "Layton Imperial, by Sherman." The band calls this model "the Senator." Has a big wide, 3" brim. 1940s? Anyone?

Got to be 40s. Brims of that size were likely out of style by the 50s. I'm a believer in eyeballing to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007