Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
spongebob-coloring-5.gif

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I'd say so, that the pinch developed from being taken on and off from the front. There are some porkpie hats that are blocked in a teardrop shape, but this doesn't look like one to me.

The brown sweatband points at '50s. The color liner says late '50s or '60s. The style was relatively short lived, mid-late '50s through the early '60s.

I read in a thread here somewhere that it was a '20s thing, then revived in the late '50s. I was watching some original '10s and '20s footage in the special features part of the 'Michael Collins' dvd, and it showed late teens footage of a hat very similar to the 'Public Enemies' Depp publicity shot, but with a back-bow like this. As usual with fashion, probably caught on in Europe a few years before spreading to the U.S.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
:eusa_doh:

:rage:

lol

I never miss a chance to laugh at the misfortune of others when it comes to gambling ;).

I was laughing out loud reading these responses, even yours! The 'squaring', as expected, has almost all fallen out already - the hat looks really fantastic.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScottF said:
I read in a thread here somewhere that it was a '20s thing, then revived in the late '50s. I was watching some original '10s and '20s footage in the special features part of the 'Michael Collins' dvd, and it showed late teens footage of a hat very similar to the 'Public Enemies' Depp publicity shot, but with a back-bow like this. As usual with fashion, probably caught on in Europe a few years before spreading to the U.S.

Interesting. Thanks Scottf, and Dinerman. I might even keep the back-bow after all.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
It looks like a very nice little hat - if my head would fit in a 6 7/8, I would have more hats that Buler.

Yeah, it depends on the hat for me. I wear a 7 but some of the older 6 7/8s seem to fit just fine or with just the slightest stretch.

That is the lousiest deal with that box-pressed hat. Its ok for cigars but I don't think I'd wear that one even with a cattleman's crease!!!:D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
marvelgoose said:
oh no, I didn't buy that! I stopped at $71.00. I was just shocked at the price.

Whippets, like Stratoliners, go for astronomical prices because of the name. Add a desirable, large size and the price goes even higher. $200 for either model in a 7 3/8 is a recession price. If/When things improve, they'll be back up to around $300.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
20 seconds of steam and a hat packed in a box like that's good as new. Just flip the brim down all the way around, steam from the top of the brim, and there you go.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
20 seconds of steam and a hat packed in a box like that's good as new. Just flip the brim down all the way around, steam from the top of the brim, and there you go.

Thanks Dinerman. I haven't even touched it and the brim is almost back to normal - just one little bend on one corner. I remember reading a post here where someone received a bowler in a flattened box, and he re-steamed it to near perfect.

So if any of you ever buy a hat from me, I'm saving those tiny boxes to ship them in. :eusa_doh:

babs

A-List Customer
I was going to jump on that little stingy, then my internet took a nose-dive. I gave a big exclamation of the profane kind, then decided it was divine intervention and since I already had a semi-stingy gray fed.. Back up now I see it went for a sweet price, even with shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe