Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
babs said:
Wow.. A hat with history.. And I got fascinated reading the letter that I screwed up and missed final bidding.. Someone truly scored. I hope someone here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

Wow - great find! I must have my searches all whacked out that I missed that one. Also odd that it 'clearly' has a size tag, but size isn't mentioned anywhere...and in case you missed my bad pun, tag photo wasn't actually clear enough to read.

babs

A-List Customer
Yeah the hat for the hat's sake I think was worth the price, even without the box. The pics and description could have been better. These auction titles could be better in some of these also, given there's a very wide varying level of knowledge as to what to describe with the sellers. Some are like "what's fur felt? I can't tell."

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1950's Stetson 3X Beaver

6 7/8 '50s 3x goes for $111?

Is it because the seller claims that it is made of beaver fur? Nice-looking hat, but tiny.

ebay Stetson 3x

295404153_o.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family

High Pockets

Practically Family
:) Got this Royal Stetson the other day,.....sweat's a little worn out and the liner's gone, but that didn't matter so much. I bought it with full intention of sending it on a journey to Chicago so Graham can do the full-blown rebuild!!

That way I'll have $160 total in what should a primo lid!

tw085b.jpg

tw085a.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Sure looks like a mid-60's liner to me...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Yeah, isn't it weird that it has that liner, but an old logo stamped on the sweatband? It's almost like Stetson either had a stockpile of really old pre-stamped sweatbands, or the 'star vs leaf' thing took on a new significance around '52, in which the star logo was only used in certain circumstances.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Yeah, isn't it weird that it has that liner, but an old logo stamped on the sweatband? It's almost like Stetson either had a stockpile of really old pre-stamped sweatbands, or the 'star vs leaf' thing took on a new significance around '52, in which the star logo was only used in certain circumstances.
The sweatband logo is rotated 90 degrees like most of the 60's and later not like the earlier 3X.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
The sweatband logo is rotated 90 degrees like most of the 60's and later not like the earlier 3X.

rlk - Good eye, as usual. So now we've seen that you can find the 3X circle sweat logos either in pre-52 position with stars or the leaf, or, as in the case of the rilico hat, rotated 90 degrees but with stars. Very weird.

Here's a 3X NOT rotated, but with the changeover to the leaf, AND older than the one rilico just sold. Makes no sense that I can see.

StetsOR3X2Dtl.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Portis 7 1/2 l.o. only 1 bid takes it for just $75 (not me)
jul31img_3542.jpg

Portis Sterling arrived today - not as orangey as the seller photos, and except for the grosgrain pug, very Open-Roadish - nice pliable felt - same color and measurements as an older Portis Sterling OR-clone I had. Has OPS tag, so 1950-53. Seller measurements indicated a small 7.5, but it's a biggy:

PortisSide.jpg

PortisInside.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Portis Sterling arrived today - not as orangey as the seller photos, and except for the grosgrain pug, very Open-Roadish - nice pliable felt - same color and measurements as an older Portis Sterling OR-clone I had. Has OPS tag, so 1950-53. Seller measurements indicated a small 7.5, but it's a biggy:

PortisSide.jpg

PortisInside.jpg
Looks good, I'll bet there's an OR style ribbon under the pug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe