Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

munchausen

One of the Regulars

billysmom

One Too Many

munchausen

One of the Regulars

Mario

I'll Lock Up

babs

A-List Customer
Spats McGee said:
Very nice hats, Mr. Paladin, and great scores at those prices!

Here's a hat I won last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270442604474&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That makes three lids I've bought off ebay since Friday. I need to put down the mouse and slowly step away from the bay. . .

Yeah I got in a little on that rascal. NICE WIN! That looks like a seriously nice hat... The ribbon and brim trim is very slick! You beat me by 11 cents!!! I just had to stick to my principle mental high-dollar on it. If it doesn't fit your bill, let me know. :) Being I have one decent vintage. Though I'll bet you'll be very pleased.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
babs said:
Yeah I got in a little on that rascal. NICE WIN! That looks like a seriously nice hat... The ribbon and brim trim is very slick! You beat me by 11 cents!!! I just had to stick to my principle mental high-dollar on it. If it doesn't fit your bill, let me know. :) Being I have one decent vintage. Though I'll bet you'll be very pleased.
Thanks, babs! I figured that I'd be bidding against at least one Lounger on that one. But I understand the need to stick to that "mental high-dollar." You know, I'd never heard of Barton hats before, but I thought the ribbon & trim looked outstanding.

babs

A-List Customer
Me neither.. Did a little search in here and found very little.. That one I think will be in an interesting piece for discussion. Dang sharp hat!

I'm seeing a lot of hats in ebay that look like they have potential if they were re-worked a bit.. cleaned, re-blocked, maybe a new sweat-band, ribbon, etc.

I'll have to get a few favorites in my browser as to who you guys like to send some of these gems to for putting the sparkle back into these old hats. Might be worth the cost to renew one if it can be picked up for a sweet price.. And save an old gem from the land-fill at the same time.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Well, I recently told the tale of bidding on a hat on ebay, only to discover that it's too small. Well, that hat arrived today, and we unpackaged it.

The box is not in great shape, but it's not bad.

Once out of the box, even a cursory examination of the felt shows a few stains:

That examination also begins to reveal a few surprises. I found this nifty little string running around the brim of the hat. A wind trolley! It was not visible in the ebay pictures, and the button was actually tucked up under the bow.

Flipping the hat over, I discovered that it's not exactly a size 7. It's a 7 1/8, and the box is labeled 7 Long Oval. I don't know if it's the original box or not. Anyway, I am also pleasantly surprised to find that the sweatband is in pretty good shape. It's a Royal DeLuxe Stetsonian and it came from Zachry, in Atlanta.

billysmom

One Too Many
Spats - Congratulations on your pleasant surprise. That looks as if it has the potential to be gorgeous!

Sometimes eBay throws unexpected gems our way and then there are the other times when things aren't quite as expected.:rolleyes: That's the risk we take in buying at auction.

Sue

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks, Sue. Truth be told, though, this is way to small for me. It's not even close enough to stretch, so I'll be selling it. Nonetheless, it was interesting.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1942-ish Disney

I'm very surprised no one was very interested in this one - $52 seemed cheap.

1942-ish Disney on ebay

IMG_3836.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe