Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
munchausen said:
I'm still trying to secure me a nice Dobbs... and don't even talk about the Whippets! Damn this size 73/8 - 71/2 head of mine. It looks as though genetically our heads got bigger.

Bigger brains? :p

Well, I'll go take pics of the one up the street (if it's still there), and if Herzen's not interested I'll send the pics to you.

Herzen - go post a few more times so I can PM the pics to you! :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
munchausen said:
Quite the Borso lover there, Herzen. :)

I saw that 4 seasons and besides the marina colour which didn't really show through on the photos, does anyone know why it got up to over $170US?

Cheers

Had to be the large size, because it wasn't even a Dobbs hat, unless the liner was replaced at some point, which I doubt. The rest of the hat looks new. I can't read what the liner tip says, looks like "...field."

Brad

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
eBayISAPI.dll

Won this one yesterday.

JEEZ, that looks like the real deal, rik. Wow, what a price. If the seller had listed it better it would've gone quite high. Glad you got a deal and I have no doubt that Graham will make a masterpiece out of it. Please keep us updated on the progress along the way. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Homburgs and Open Roads---I'm an addict. Just got two apparent beautiful homburgs off e-Bay. Can't figure how to post the e-Bay links without the personal info on them so you will have to wait until they arrive for my pics in New Hats. Both are grey with black ribbon; one is a Dobbs BIN and the other a Royal Deluxe Stetson St. Regis that appears to be immaculate. Both were ridiculously cheap I thought, but size 7 heads can be great on e-Bay! We'll see....

Thanks to JTL for the sizing advice on the Stetson.:eusa_clap

Spats McGee

One Too Many
munchausen said:
I'm still trying to secure me a nice Dobbs... and don't even talk about the Whippets! Damn this size 73/8 - 71/2 head of mine. It looks as though genetically our heads got bigger.

Bigger brains? :p
I know just how you feel, munchausen. This is what my wife hears when I browse ebay:
"Seven, no. Seven and a quarter, no. Seven, no. Six and three quarters, oh, for pity's sake! Seven and a quarter, no. Oooh, there's a seven and three eighths. I might be able to stretch that one. Don't know that I'll ever get the tire tracks out of it, though. What's the bid? Aw, crud. Seven, no . . . "

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Imagine if eBay...

Spats McGee said:
I know just how you feel, munchausen. This is what my wife hears when I browse ebay:
"Seven, no. Seven and a quarter, no. Seven, no. Six and three quarters, oh, for pity's sake! Seven and a quarter, no. Oooh, there's a seven and three eighths. I might be able to stretch that one. Don't know that I'll ever get the tire tracks out of it, though. What's the bid? Aw, crud. Seven, no . . . "
lol lol lol This is what I hear when my wife opens the credit card bill...
"Paypal, 40euro. Paypal, $50US. Paypal, $65US... How many hats did you buy this month?"

It would make it easier if they listed the correct hat sizes in the title. As much as I like looking at pretty, vintage hats on eBay, if it isn't my size it's a little pointless. Also, had to create a spreadsheet to calculate hat sizes based on when listings only give a length and width description. Rassin, frassin...

And another thing, those shysters who list 50 of their stupid little bucket hats as "vintage fedoras" should be shot for clogging searches with irrelevant products. Having to sift through your hats when I am searching for vintage fedoras isn't going to make me want to buy them.

Sellers telling people in their listings that buyers should be giving them 5 star ratings. Sorry buddy, but if you're not giving me 5 star service, you're not getting a 5 star rating. Perhaps eBay should define or provide examples of what each rating looks like so it's less subjective, but I know when sellers have gone above and beyond.

I really do like eBay. Honest. :rolleyes:

Spats McGee

One Too Many
munchausen said:
. . . .Sellers telling people in their listings that buyers should be giving them 5 star ratings. Sorry buddy, but if you're not giving me 5 star service, you're not getting a 5 star rating. Perhaps eBay should define or provide examples of what each rating looks like so it's less subjective, but I know when sellers have gone above and beyond.

I really do like eBay. Honest. :rolleyes:
You and I have a lot of the same gripes, munchausen. On the feedback issue, the one I dislike most may be sellers that refuse to leave feedback until I have done so. MY part of the transaction is finished when I pay my money, unless there's a dispute as to the quality or description of the item, or on shipping. So at the point where I've paid, they can make a decision on my feedback. On the other hand, I can't make a decision on my feedback for them until I have the item in hand, and there's a lot more to consider: (1) Was the item accurately described? (2) Was it shipped promptly? (3) Was it appropriately packaged? (4) If there was a dispute, was it handled properly? (5) Etc. I see no reason that my feedback should depend on theirs. I'm a good buyer & prompt payor and should not be left bad feedback by crappy sellers, just because I won't say what they want. Harumph!

Ok. Rant over.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
munchausen said:
Sellers telling people in their listings that buyers should be giving them 5 star ratings. Sorry buddy, but if you're not giving me 5 star service, you're not getting a 5 star rating.

Very true. The seller of this last win posted about wanting 5 stars, yet he posted only one photo and very few details about the product he was selling. We'll see...

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Too true

Spats McGee said:
You and I have a lot of the same gripes, munchausen. On the feedback issue, the one I dislike most may be sellers that refuse to leave feedback until I have done so. MY part of the transaction is finished when I pay my money, unless there's a dispute as to the quality or description of the item, or on shipping. So at the point where I've paid, they can make a decision on my feedback. On the other hand, I can't make a decision on my feedback for them until I have the item in hand, and there's a lot more to consider: (1) Was the item accurately described? (2) Was it shipped promptly? (3) Was it appropriately packaged? (4) If there was a dispute, was it handled properly? (5) Etc. I see no reason that my feedback should depend on theirs. I'm a good buyer & prompt payor and should not be left bad feedback by crappy sellers, just because I won't say what they want. Harumph!

Ok. Rant over.

They hold positive ratings for ransom. For the system to be accurate, honest feedback on those points you stated, must be given. I suppose they might be worried that they may be ambushed by buyers who aren't happy with a transaction and provide no opportunity for communication or remediation. That being said, retailers (not of the online variety) sometimes don't get the chance and are slapped with negative word of mouth. [huh] Those with more experience selling on eBay might be able to shed more light on it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:

Ok. Rant over.

Given ebay's new feedback policy where seller's cannot leave negative feedback, I respectfully disagree with you. As a seller, I leave feedback as soon as paid (if I remember :)), for anyone who either has great feedback or who has been a good communicator; however, for 'potential trouble' buyers, I wait for them to leave feedback first. I have noticed from forums like this, that most of the 'potential trouble' buyers don't even recognize themselves as such.

For instance, I put 'CONTINENTAL US ONLY' and 'CONFIRMED PAYPAL ADDRESSES ONLY' in all of my listings, yet it is impossible to keep violators from bidding...and they do. Now I'm dealing with a non-confirmed Paypal buyer from Canada who not only did not pay before I left for a non-computer 2-week vacation (which he agreed to do), but has filed a dispute 8 business days after shipping, despite my giving him the exact shipping date and assuring him it was insured - I have since sent him a copy of the customs receipt, tracking, etc. Now Paypal has put a hold on $206, effectively rendering this a 'payment upon receipt and satisfaction' transaction. So, should I have given this clown positive feedback as soon as he paid? Once the transaction is complete and we have cleared up any potential issues that arise (including after the product is received), then I will leave positive feedback for such customers. All the buyer has to do is indicate to me that things are cool, and I'll leave positive feedback...then he can do the same, or not. Of course, it's easiest for him to indicate such by actually leaving positive feedback.

BTW - as a seller, I HATE PAYPAL. If it weren't for the bids I would lose, I would happily go back to a 'check and money order only' policy.

My rant is now over - did I mention that I don't like Paypal or ebay/Paypal's dispute resolution system?

munchausen

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Given ebay's new feedback policy where seller's cannot leave negative feedback, I respectfully disagree with you. As a seller, I leave feedback as soon as paid (if I remember :)), for anyone who either has great feedback or who has been a good communicator; however, for 'potential trouble' buyers, I wait for them to leave feedback first. I have noticed from forums like this, that most of the 'potential trouble' buyers don't even recognize themselves as such.

For instance, I put 'CONTINENTAL US ONLY' and 'CONFIRMED PAYPAL ADDRESSES ONLY' in all of my listings, yet it is impossible to keep violators from bidding...and they do. Now I'm dealing with a non-confirmed Paypal buyer from Canada who not only did not pay before I left for a non-computer 2-week vacation (which he agreed to do), but has filed a dispute 8 business days after shipping, despite my giving him the exact shipping date and assuring him it was insured - I have since sent him a copy of the customs receipt, tracking, etc. Now Paypal has put a hold on $206, effectively rendering this a 'payment upon receipt and satisfaction' transaction. So, should I have given this clown positive feedback as soon as he paid? Once the transaction is complete and we have cleared up any potential issues that arise (including after the product is received), then I will leave positive feedback for such customers. All the buyer has to do is indicate to me that things are cool, and I'll leave positive feedback...then he can do the same, or not. Of course, it's easiest for him to indicate such by actually leaving positive feedback.

BTW - as a seller, I HATE PAYPAL. If it weren't for the bids I would lose, I would happily go back to a 'check and money order only' policy.

My rant is now over - did I mention that I don't like Paypal or ebay/Paypal's dispute resolution system?

They removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback? Surely the feedback system should work both ways (excluding the stars).

I agree you shouldn't give this Canadian numbskull a positive rating. 1) for not being able to read and 2) for not abiding by your agreed upon terms.
But can I ask, how do you sense when a customer is going to be troublesome? I have to say, out of everything I've bought I have not once received feedback until I left feedback on receipt of the item first. I am a prompt payer and communicate well. The positive side to this is that I've never had a negative experience on eBay (yet).

Spats McGee

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Given ebay's new feedback policy where seller's cannot leave negative feedback, I respectfully disagree with you.
I don't buy that much on ebay, truth be told. I have gotten feedback a grand sum of twice. Also, I was unaware of this new feedback policy. I couldn't find that stated anywhere in ebay's policies, but there are plenty of statements to that effect in the Answer Center. Given that you have more experience with ebay than I do, it appears you're right on this.

With that said, my post was based on an event that happened, oh, a year and a half ago. It had to be before this new policy went into effect. Anyway, my wife bought me a vintage Dobbs fedora. There were no pictures of the size tag in the description, but it said, "Large" in the text. Sure enough, when the hat arrived, the tag inside said "Medium." No way this melon o' mine will fit into a medium vintage hat. My wife contacted the seller about this, and the response she got was to the effect of: "I didn't measure it. Too bad. And if you leave me negative feedback, I will leave you negative feedback." No refund, no return, no remorse. My wife left an accurate feedback. No, it wasn't a glowing endorsement of that seller, but it wasn't unduly harsh, either. Sure enough, the seller left her negative feedback. That was feedback extortion. My wife contacted ebay. They refused to remove the seller's feedback. I don't recall if we filed a dispute or claim, but I hope you can see why I posted what I did.

On one of the auctions that I watched recently, I saw what I thought was a pretty good policy on the part of the seller. At the bottom of the item description, it said something to the effect (I don't remember the exact wording) of: "Before you leave me less than 5 stars or negative feedback, please contact me. I'll do what I can to make this transaction satisfactory for you." That I can live with. I'm more than willing to give the seller a chance to make it right, and if they do, hey, I'll be glad to give them positive feedback.

ScottF said:
. . . . Now I'm dealing with a non-confirmed Paypal buyer from Canada who not only did not pay before I left for a non-computer 2-week vacation (which he agreed to do), but has filed a dispute 8 business days after shipping, despite my giving him the exact shipping date and assuring him it was insured - I have since sent him a copy of the customs receipt, tracking, etc. Now Paypal has put a hold on $206, effectively rendering this a 'payment upon receipt and satisfaction' transaction. So, should I have given this clown positive feedback as soon as he paid?
No. You're right on this one. My question, which is rather theoretical and not really relevant to the discussion, is whether Paypal put a hold on his $206, or just the next $206 that comes through. Who holds his money while the dispute processes?

ScottF said:
Once the transaction is complete and we have cleared up any potential issues that arise (including after the product is received), then I will leave positive feedback for such customers. All the buyer has to do is indicate to me that things are cool, and I'll leave positive feedback...then he can do the same, or not. Of course, it's easiest for him to indicate such by actually leaving positive feedback.
But there's a difference between "once the transaction is complete and we have cleared up any potential issues that arise (including after the product is received)" and "I don't leave feedback until you do."

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
I don't buy that much on ebay, truth be told. I have gotten feedback a grand sum of twice. Also, I was unaware of this new feedback policy. I couldn't find that stated anywhere in ebay's policies, but there are plenty of statements to that effect in the Answer Center. Given that you have more experience with ebay than I do, it appears you're right on this.

With that said, my post was based on an event that happened, oh, a year and a half ago. It had to be before this new policy went into effect. Anyway, my wife bought me a vintage Dobbs fedora. There were no pictures of the size tag in the description, but it said, "Large" in the text. Sure enough, when the hat arrived, the tag inside said "Medium." No way this melon o' mine will fit into a medium vintage hat. My wife contacted the seller about this, and the response she got was to the effect of: "I didn't measure it. Too bad. And if you leave me negative feedback, I will leave you negative feedback." No refund, no return, no remorse. My wife left an accurate feedback. No, it wasn't a glowing endorsement of that seller, but it wasn't unduly harsh, either. Sure enough, the seller left her negative feedback. That was feedback extortion. My wife contacted ebay. They refused to remove the seller's feedback. I don't recall if we filed a dispute or claim, but I hope you can see why I posted what I did.

Yeah, if you are going to say anything bad in your feedback, you should prepare for an 'overreaction' from the other person (a negative or neutral). Checking this again a moment ago, the options as a seller are either 'positive', or 'report a problem'...no option for 'negative'.

On one of the auctions that I watched recently, I saw what I thought was a pretty good policy on the part of the seller. At the bottom of the item description, it said something to the effect (I don't remember the exact wording) of: "Before you leave me less than 5 stars or negative feedback, please contact me. I'll do what I can to make this transaction satisfactory for you." That I can live with. I'm more than willing to give the seller a chance to make it right, and if they do, hey, I'll be glad to give them positive feedback.

That's a good policy.

No. You're right on this one. My question, which is rather theoretical and not really relevant to the discussion, is whether Paypal put a hold on his $206, or just the next $206 that comes through. Who holds his money while the dispute processes?

There was only $6 in my account, so it showed negative $200, meaning that Paypal effectively holds it. I just got off the phone with them and they closed the dispute, since I proved delivery had been attempted, at the correct address, three times.

But there's a difference between "once the transaction is complete and we have cleared up any potential issues that arise (including after the product is received)" and "I don't leave feedback until you do."

Agreed. I actually read this seller policy in an ebay description, and liked it. All-in-all, feedback is a really minor thing unless you are a crook, or just so lazy or absent-minded that you botch things repeatedly. I even try to cut the latter some slack, since it's not an indication of having bad intent.

I don't think you should spend much time experiencing angst over ebay feedback, so I'm done with it for the week :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
ScottF said:
. . . I don't think you should spend much time experiencing angst over ebay feedback, so I'm done with it for the week :)
Well, it's already Thursday, so I guess I can hit you up again for a debate in about 3 days? ;)

I don't lose any sleep over ebay policies, despite the long-windedness of my last post. I've never disputed anything I've bought on ebay & I've never sold anything there. I figure that buying through ebay is a lot like buying at any other auction. You do the best you can with the information given. If the seller doesn't give me enough info, I don't bid until I've asked the questions I need answered. All I really ask is that the item match the description, and be shipped timely and appropriately.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Spats McGee said:

Ok. Rant over.

I'm with you on this.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
A Winnah

We interrupt all the fascinating posts about negative and positive feedback (and I read them all so I must have been fascinated) to show a hat that was won today.

Another Open Road

Ok, that's #2 for the week. I shall rest until Saturday and let everyone else have some fun. :rolleyes:

I am also staying away from a certain Stetson Whippet auction in the hope that one of our FL members who has been suffering from Whippet-auction-loss can score Nirvanah -- however fleeting it may be.:D

Herzen

One of the Regulars
marvelgoose said:
We interrupt all the fascinating posts about negative and positive feedback (and I read them all so I must have been fascinated) to show a hat that was won today.

Another Open Road

Ok, that's #2 for the week. I shall rest until Saturday and let everyone else have some fun. :rolleyes:

I am also staying away from a certain Stetson Whippet auction in the hope that one of our FL members who has been suffering from Whippet-auction-loss can score Nirvanah -- however fleeting it may be.:D

That is a nice one. I was looking at one similar recently, but I'm not sure I could pull off an Open Road. Great catch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe