Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I'll bet that's true. Some things probably never change because they can't be improved on.

How much things have changed really depends on the operation you work for, or what you do. Rodeo used to be a weekend thing for the locals, now it's grown into a full blown industry. I know guys that still feed small squares in the winter with teams and wagons, and other operations have bale handling beds on a pickup or an unroller on the back of a big tractor with a cab. Machinery has pretty much replaced teams for most of us though, even if it isn't new. Our hay equipment is all from the 1970s and 80s, but we're running a cabbed swather and a round baler. We're a small outfit, in the winter we bring the herd into a small pasture near the house and feed round bales with pitchforks. Once we calve out in the spring, we move them to the lease about 70 miles away.

The biggest change is the population growth. A lot of that government land that was available back in the 50's isn't anymore. A lot of it has been 'protected' for some reason or another, or is now privately owned. Private leases are pretty common, our summer range is on a ten year lease. Once the cattle go out there, it's a lot like it used to be. We have to work them off horseback, the land is too rough in places to be passable with an ATV and the horses are just a better, lower stress way of working the cows. I can ride through a feeding herd nice and quiet looking for sick or injured animals, rope them out and doctor without creating a fuss. An ATV roaring around scatters them, then you can't rope from it so you either have to drive them to corrals or haul out a portable chute with a pickup. It's a lot harder on the cows and a lot more work for the riders. The ATVs also can't cross rivers, climb mountains, etc the way horses can.

We still don't get paid well, the hours are still long and the winter is still cold. Lots of the big outfits have broken up into either developments or smaller ranches trying to hang on. There are still some big ranches, but they're dwindling. There's a place just up the road from me that had 110 sections of land in the 60's, they're down to about 14,000 acres now. A lot of it is rural development, subdivisions with anywhere from 10-40 acre lots. Some of our leased hayground is in and around a couple of those, we get 5 acres here, 15 there, cut, bale and haul it away. Moving fields means driving the equipment down the road, but the roads are still gravel. A paved road runs through our summer pasture, crossing it means using a couple of pickups to block what little traffic there may be right at the gates and driving the cows across. It's kind of funny in a way, a couple of times we've been out working and people would pull over and take pictures. A lot of folks just don't get to see that every day, but I'm very fortunate that I get to live it. I don't want to romanticize it because a lot of western writers have done a much better job of that than I ever could, but I'm grateful for the life I have and the opportunity to live it. It fits me pretty well I think.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Me too , Thanks 56FG ! I remember it (we did it), plus I'm a Big Chris LeDoux fan . He's missed . That was what I meant by things had changed in Gunnison , developments , and government messing with access to Federal grazing Land . Tough Life , but Highly Rewarding . I'd be right there with ya .

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. It sounds romantic, but when your pony dumps you in the middle of a river or you're looking for a calf in 5* with a snowstorm blowing in at 70+ MPH, or a broke down hay baler in dry, windy 90* heat...well, like Chris said "All this romance, drive an ole cowboy insane..." I don't know what else I would do though. If I had a million dollars, I'd just buy some land with a little house and put cows on it, so I'm probably better off right here. I get life, and being a millionaire sounds stressful. :)

To get back to topic, I actually spoke with Art today! Trust me, I'm as shocked as anyone but he called me around 11:15 this morning. He said he heard I had gotten the wrong boots, he had to get into a meeting but would call me in half an hour. Good enough!

So at 4:30 this afternoon when I hadn't heard from anyone I called back and was able to talk to him. He emailed me a shipping label to return them and was supposed to send me a photo of a 'medium brown' wax calf leather that should be lighter, but didn't. Maybe in the morning. He said he has to talk with their production supervisor, but thinks I can have a replacement pair "by Frontier Days" in a couple of weeks. He's supposed to call me between 9-10:00 tomorrow when he knows more.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Here's another Custom Boot Maker
www.mikevaughnhandmadeboots.com

Here's a Vid I had seen him on ...

He can make whatever you like , these are Nice to me ...

th

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Art didn't call me Wednesday, so late in the afternoon I called him. We talked for a few minutes, he sent me a picture, and we have a plan. The wax calf is available on three colors- black, super dark brown, and medium brown. The medium brown is a little redder than I really care for, but I'm okay with it. I really prefer like a sand brown/ tan, but that just isn't an option in wax calf because of the way the wax is burnished into the leather. They're doing a pair in medium brown with a tan top, and I should have them in two to three weeks.

I have to go into town Monday for jury duty, so the pair I have will be delivered to FedEx and on it's way back to Arizona. If anyone wants them, give PB a call. Sounds like this will be the only pair of 12Ds they have on the shelf.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Glad that worked out 56FG ! Sounds Good , and Reasonable . There's a pair in my size exactly like those you received , used , of course , but if I knew they'd fit , I'd be on them . PBBoots makes some tough Stock Boots , and they look great to me . Sorry the Order was messed up . Can't beat the Waxed Calf , though .

I think I have a Few More of Mike Vaughn's Boots to show ... (plus I'll throw the last pair in , also) They really look nice ...

100_0187.jpg

100_018117.jpg

MWB4.jpg
These were just a Few I Liked , but he does the whole shebang , stitching , Brands , whatever , you name it , He's located in Bowie TX .

Some of these are still available.
I can't make any sense of what is & what isn't. I inquired about 12D Green & they are not available. I think but don't know positively that the only ones that are still available have the number of pair available in brackets. For example (2) 10.5D Green, (2) 10.5D Blue, (2) 10D Blue, & (2) 10D Red.

Michael I believe these will run a little wide because of the lasts they were made on. You can always shove a pair of insoles in there but who wants to do that? If I were you between the 10D & 10.5D, I don't know what I would do. The 10D might just be perfect!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I can't make any sense of what is & what isn't. I inquired about 12D Green & they are not available. I think but don't know positively that the only ones that are still available have the number of pair available in brackets. For example (2) 10.5D Green, (2) 10.5D Blue, (2) 10D Blue, & (2) 10D Red.

Michael I believe these will run a little wide because of the lasts they were made on. You can always shove a pair of insoles in there but who wants to do that? If I were you between the 10D & 10.5D, I don't know what I would do. The 10D might just be perfect!

Thanks HJ , That what I'm thinking . I drew out my foot with a pencil , used my left because I think the Boot guy told me my Left was bigger than my Right . (Then Computer started Swirling , I left it ... . Eventually cut it off . This goofy thing) (Operator Error I'm sure) . I'm going to watch that vid on measuring again , then see if I can figure it out . I called my cousin that has a Boot Store , but talking about No Help ! He said you have to try on , nothing fits the same . ... Usually the Good Stuff is Bigger than the cheap junk . I'd take any Color , I like the Yellow Best , but that's not an option . My current El Cheapos have an Orange Top , Round Toe , Brown Tan foot , and they're 10.5 D , I know I tossed out my last Good Boots after a blow out . I know they were the Tony Lamas I bought at the Factory Store in El Paso , Anaconda . Before the Justin Corp buy out .

I wished they took returns , Just In Case . But I would just about put money on 10 D in the PBBoots fitting . I think you're Right on whats still available , too . Thanks HJ !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I measured everything , then sent a message to Paul Bond Boots with my measurements , asking what size in the Stock Boots they recommend . I have a funny feeling it will be 10.5 D , if they respond . I only had athletic socks on when I measured . Thanks Bama for putting that up . I saw some heavily used PB Stock Boots like 56FG got for a starting bid on the Bay of $399.99 and they guesstimated 10.5 D , no bids though . But still in Great Shape considering .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe