Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Nope, just happen to like bull riding!

Never had the desire to get on a bulls back but during my early 20's I tried my hand at bulldogging. It didn't take long for me to realize I was no Bill Pickett and I didn't have enough weight on my narrow ass to enjoy it, much less be successful. Heavy enough now, though.

I had to put my mom in assisted living this past Jan. After doing that I told my wife that if the day ever comes that our kids are coming to take me to one, if she will just tip me off beforehand I'll take care of it myself.

I'm near that point with my mom and I have the same living will.

Like this?

f3bc4c78f9c0fb76500d47d6e3cf56ce.jpg

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars

When I was about 6-7 yrs old my cousins & I would take turns climbing up on the back of a spring bottle calf & do that as they grew all summer until those calves were sold off in the fall. After you got a grip you'd give the signal & one of my cousins would kick the calf in the butt as hard as he could & you'd see if you could hang on. Today, we would be reported for animal cruelty.

Nah, we still do it. No kicking, but at branding time if we have some bigger calves the kids get to ride. After we get everything done to the calf, before letting it up one of the kids will climb on it's back and hold on. It's a lot of fun for everyone. Last year the owner's 9 year old son stayed on one until they crashed into a wood fence. He looked like he was right on the verge of tears until someone pointed out that he had the longest ride of the day. After that, even another crash wouldn't have knocked the smile off his face.

Congrats on the order, Michael! I went with the 2 1/4" heel, time will tell if it was the right choice.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I just happened to remember that McLean used to sell his version of the PB Stockman's boot.

One of those guys still makes a Stock Working Boot that looks exactly like Bonds , I'd have to look to see , but I think it's McLean . Yep , and Chris Bennett has some , too , pretty similar ...

23fd390d020f9a32cf00ef19e3f45611
6e427e5050ca090bd85c83d10162ba8b
bb_stock_buck.beige.jpg

Bennett's look identical (Style 28)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on the order, Michael! I went with the 2 1/4" heel, time will tell if it was the right choice.

Thanks 56FG ! It was the #3 Heel I got , 1 5/8" I think (#3 and #6 is the two on Stock Working Boots) . I hope the yellow tops look like yours , I like that red , too . I guess I should have pressed Art more when he said it was scarce . People were hollering half the time we were on the phone , he was pretty busy . He may have gotten sidetracked on shipping that email , but he might do it tomorrow .

Does anyone know who got Tony Lama's Old Laths ? I know I heard it was a guy that worked there when Justin bought them out , he'd been there a long time , and I think he quit after the takeover . Heard he started his own shop . I don't know why Sanchez is stuck in my mind . But that was a long time ago , around 26 years , now . They bought Nocona back in the early 80s , like around 83 .

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Michael, the tops I had were technically tan and not yellow. I think yellow might be a brighter, yellower color. I think the pair they're making for me now are supposed to be the same color top.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
These were the Paul Bond Stock Working Boots on eBay that , I think , didn't sell . Asking $399.99 beginning bid , they called them yellow , but I think they're like the ones you got 56FG . Did you get the same tops , on the Re-order ?

s-l1600.jpg

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I like rough out on a lot of stuff, particularly a saddle. I just don't know how well it would work for boots. Seems like it would be prone to absorbing liquids and being hard to clean in standard form. I think the waxed calf is a rough out, but with a heavy wax worked into it to prevent exactly that.

My saddle seat and fenders are rough out, I love riding it but I spent quite a while trying to clean it up from my dunk in the river. It got better, but it's easy to tell where I got back on soaking wet and covered in mud. I can't imagine boots holding up to that for long.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Michael, my reorder should be the same color top as the first pair.

I got my note , plus order form/invoice from Art . He said he sent it 2 days ago , but it never made it to me (I get others email , I guess someone else got my invoice email) . Anyway Art said Tan was not available at this time , all that was being made (in the queue) now was Royal Blue , and Metallic Yellow , as he said . (I didn't remember those exact words , but ...) Yellow is fine , I really liked the Tan though . Glad you're getting what you ordered 56FG . Those Boots looked fine , mine say Chocolate Brown Waxed Calf vamp , Metallic Yellow upper , brown piping , multi 6 stitch pattern or something (multi colored I know) . I think if I hadn't been busy , and under better circumstances I would have asked more questions , it surprised me he called . I'm sure I'll like em . Guessing they're like the yellow on eBay , but who knows . He said Bright Shiny Yellow , Lemon Yellow , these don't look Bright and shiny , or Lemon Yellow to me ...

s-l1600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe