Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Looking forward to your pics & opinions after you get them 56! Did you ever say what color tops you picked?

Brown top on brown foot with gray stitching...and they arrived today! :)

...And they're wrong. :( Somehow, they ended up brown top on black foot. When I opened the box I was immediately disappointed, damn near heartbroken after waiting this long. After going back to cutting hay with nothing to do other than think about this, now I'm somewhere around completely livid or disgusted.

Maybe it's just me, but you would think when a guy spends a bunch of money and waits over two months, you could at least make the thing in the right damn color. I called them and politely explained my story to the lady, she said someone would call me. You'd think when a guy says "Hey, this thing I've waited so long for is wrong" someone might make an effort to call in the next 4 hours!

Right now, I don't know what I want. If I had called to order and the boot I received had been my only option I'd have bought them and been happy. They weren't, though. How do you manage to get something so obvious as the color wrong? It's not a tiny imperfection, it's not a misplaced stamp in the tooling, it's the first thing you notice about the most often seen part of the shoe! I think maybe I could learn to like these, but I shouldn't have to. I know it's only one sale of a stock product to Bond, but it's more than three times more expensive than any item of clothing I've ever bought. Heck, all my clothes put together aren't even worth $750, and I didn't have to wait nine weeks to get them! Part of me wants to just return them and give up the whole custom boot idea. I couldn't tell you how much better they are for riding or working in, because I've only walked about 5 steps in them just to see if the size was right. I certainly don't want to send these back and then have to wait another 9 weeks to see if maybe they can get it right the second time.

I've spent the entire day in the swather cutting hay, other than a short break to meet the FedEx truck and I've just been irritated about this and worked myself into a lather. I'll have another smoke, maybe a drink and calm down by the time I call them Monday.

Wish I could post photos, but without Tapatalk I don't have anywhere to host them.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear that 56! I can't understand that & very surprised! If it were me I would return them & cancel my order. I just wouldn't wait any longer for them to correct their mistake & make a new pair. Thanks for the report. Let us know what you decide & best of luck with getting boots you will be happy with.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Let's see if I can get pictures to work. Maybe $750 would have been better spent on a new phone. :D

unnamed.jpg

The photo doesn't do the color justice, it actually looks more brown than it is.

unnamed.jpg

I think it's a little clearer in that one, with the wallet and phone for comparison. They're nice boots, but really not what I had been expecting.

I agree, for the most part with what HJ said. I don't see how they could get the color wrong. One alternative might be, if you don't hate the color, is to negotiate with them on a lower price for you keeping the boots. Might be worth a shot.

RJR

Let's see if I can get pictures to work. Maybe $750 would have been better spent on a new phone. :D

View attachment 52902

The photo doesn't do the color justice, it actually looks more brown than it is.

View attachment 52903

I think it's a little clearer in that one, with the wallet and phone for comparison. They're nice boots, but really not what I had been expecting.
I agree that they're nice boots,but I'd be PO'd as well.

...negotiate with them on a lower price for you keeping the boots. Might be worth a shot.
56, I looked back thru the thread to find your size you ordered as 12D. How do they fit?

If they should offer the boots to you at a substantial discount & you're not interested, PM me first before saying no. Maybe something could be worked out but I'm thinking they wouldn't do a discount bigger than shipping because the stockman boots sell off the shelf like hot cakes. If you return them the boots will sell pretty quick.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
The fit is okay. I had on different socks than normal and one was a bit loose, but otherwise pretty good.

I don't know what I want from them. I could keep these and deal with it if the discount is big enough, but like you I doubt they knock that much off. I really don't want to wait another 2 months+ for replacements though.

wgnovak

Familiar Face
Where them when I’m in Texas or New Mexico including the Albequeque Hot Air Ballon Festival in October.
I had the Luchase’s make me two pairs in the ’80’s when they were making them by hand in Texas . Both
medium brown calf with tooled uppers.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm moving beyond upset to just amused. I called Saturday at 1:30, spoke with Diana who was supposed to have Art call me. Called today at 1:00, spoke with Diana who was supposed to have Art call me. Called at 3:30 and no one answered, left a message on the machine. No one called. I guess now that they're busy making custom $2,000 boots for movie stars and politicians they don't feel it necessary to deal with working hands anymore.

Am I over reacting to the wrong color? Probably. These boots are a big deal to me. Believe it or not, riding horses and driving tractors isn't quite a six figure career path so it took a while to save up for a luxury purchase like this. I call it a luxury because I don't know any working cowboy (and I know a bunch) that wears $750 shoes. Even saying that outloud makes it sound like a stupid purchase. Are they really better? I couldn't tell you. I wore a pair for less than 3 minutes and walked less than 10 feet in them. My Ariats have been glued back together twice in the two months I waited for these, my next step and last resort will be to wrap them in tape. I was extremely disappointed when I opened the box and they weren't what I ordered. Do they function? I guess they would, but for such a big purchase I really do feel like I should get what I paid for. Brown on brown, with brown or gray stitching. I even talked about it here the day I ordered.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cowboy-boots.5882/page-76#post-2088773

It looks like that won't be happening, though. I was at least hopeful initially that the folks at Paul Bond would work to make this right but now they won't even return my calls. If I had the option, I'd love to return these for a refund and forget this entire experience ever happened. I have to go into town tomorrow, I'm going to try and call them one last time. If they're not willing to talk with me, my last stop before coming home will be at the bank to dispute the charge on my account. I've never had to do that before. I did not receive the product I ordered and the seller has become completely unresponsive. If this were eBay, there would be no question that a claim should be filed. I guess going through the bank is as close to that as I can get. I'd love to return the boots, all they have to do is talk to me long enough to arrange a pickup. Since they seem to want to be difficult though, difficult we shall be.

If I can't talk to someone tomorrow, looks like I'll be buying another pair of boot store stock boots. I can't wait the 4-6 months it would take for another maker to produce something, as mine are literally falling apart at the seams. Maybe I can try again in a couple of years with Wilson Boots up in Montana. There's always a chance someone will talk to me in the morning and we can work this out, but after three unreturned calls I'm really not holding my breath. I guess if I had to describe the entire Paul Bond experience to this point, disappointed is about the best I can do but disgusted and heartbroken are tied for second place. I really wanted this to be right, I really wanted to love these boots and wear them for the next 10 years. I wanted a pair that would be worth having resoled a few times. It doesn't look like that's going to happen though, at least not from Paul Bond.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm moving beyond upset to just amused. I called Saturday at 1:30, spoke with Diana who was supposed to have Art call me. Called today at 1:00, spoke with Diana who was supposed to have Art call me. Called at 3:30 and no one answered, left a message on the machine. No one called. I guess now that they're busy making custom $2,000 boots for movie stars and politicians they don't feel it necessary to deal with working hands anymore.

Am I over reacting to the wrong color? Probably. These boots are a big deal to me. Believe it or not, riding horses and driving tractors isn't quite a six figure career path so it took a while to save up for a luxury purchase like this. I call it a luxury because I don't know any working cowboy (and I know a bunch) that wears $750 shoes. Even saying that outloud makes it sound like a stupid purchase. Are they really better? I couldn't tell you. I wore a pair for less than 3 minutes and walked less than 10 feet in them. My Ariats have been glued back together twice in the two months I waited for these, my next step and last resort will be to wrap them in tape. I was extremely disappointed when I opened the box and they weren't what I ordered. Do they function? I guess they would, but for such a big purchase I really do feel like I should get what I paid for. Brown on brown, with brown or gray stitching. I even talked about it here the day I ordered.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cowboy-boots.5882/page-76#post-2088773

It looks like that won't be happening, though. I was at least hopeful initially that the folks at Paul Bond would work to make this right but now they won't even return my calls. If I had the option, I'd love to return these for a refund and forget this entire experience ever happened. I have to go into town tomorrow, I'm going to try and call them one last time. If they're not willing to talk with me, my last stop before coming home will be at the bank to dispute the charge on my account. I've never had to do that before. I did not receive the product I ordered and the seller has become completely unresponsive. If this were eBay, there would be no question that a claim should be filed. I guess going through the bank is as close to that as I can get. I'd love to return the boots, all they have to do is talk to me long enough to arrange a pickup. Since they seem to want to be difficult though, difficult we shall be.

If I can't talk to someone tomorrow, looks like I'll be buying another pair of boot store stock boots. I can't wait the 4-6 months it would take for another maker to produce something, as mine are literally falling apart at the seams. Maybe I can try again in a couple of years with Wilson Boots up in Montana. There's always a chance someone will talk to me in the morning and we can work this out, but after three unreturned calls I'm really not holding my breath. I guess if I had to describe the entire Paul Bond experience to this point, disappointed is about the best I can do but disgusted and heartbroken are tied for second place. I really wanted this to be right, I really wanted to love these boots and wear them for the next 10 years. I wanted a pair that would be worth having resoled a few times. It doesn't look like that's going to happen though, at least not from Paul Bond.

WOW ! 56FG , I was hoping for a Good Report . I saw a Pair Used that I would buy if I was certain they would fit . They look Great to me , but $750 is A LOT to Not get what you Ordered . I'd be disappointed , too . I was going to ask you how you like them , the fit , everything . Sorry Bro !

Here you go 56. This will get your mind off boots for a bit. Best to watch on YouTube as it's 30 min long. Filmed around Gunnison, CO in 1950

American Cowboy | Traditional American Way of Life | Documentary | 1950

I used to date a girl in Gunnison ! The Gunnison Valley is Beautiful ! I started to move there and marry her , which might have been a better move than what I ended up with , but ... . You Really Never Know , but my Job prospects were hauling Gasoline out of Denver , not my idea of Primo , especially over the passes in Winter . She's married now , and lives in Colorado Springs . Her Dad used to have a Bunch of Horses and they did trail rides into the Garden of the gods (but there is Only ONE)
th
, but its a pretty place . I liked Gunnison , though , and Ouray .

Great video, HJ! It's fun to see how much things have changed, and how much things have stayed the same.

Gunnison has changed a Lot , though . ... I've worn 10 1/2D , and 10D , just not certain how they run . I guess I need to get measured , then get the order thing Printed Off . But I'll look at Wilson's , but if he's the guy I saw in a vid (I'll double check) his were High Dollar , too . I'll look real quick . Sorry 56FG ! No it was Ray Dorwart , in Guthrie ...

I'll check out Wilson's in MT . I heard there's a guy that got Tony Lama's old Forms in El Paso that's making some Great Boots , but ... Who is it ? I forgot . How much ? Who Knows !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe