Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

dnjan

One Too Many
A cassoulet made with two types of sausage (and bacon trimmings).
I think I have the recipe where I want it now.

dnjan

One Too Many
Bacon Trimmings

When one makes bacon, the original piece of pork belly is seldom perfectly square. The curing and smoking process can distort it more.
So, before slicing, it is necessary to trim one edge so it is straight to feed into the slicer blade.
And then, when the opposite edge gets close to the slicing blade (when you are almost done slicing the entire piece), the edge will probably not be parallel to the edge you started slicing from. So it is easiest to stop slicing, rather than producing shorter and shorter slices.

Then, the leftover trimmings can be cut into cubes for use in any recipe that calls for bacon pieces.
Since these pieces were on the edge, against the curing spices and most exposed to smoke, they are more intensely flavoured.

One of the best reasons for making your own bacon!

When one makes bacon, the original piece of pork belly is seldom perfectly square. The curing and smoking process can distort it more.
So, before slicing, it is necessary to trim one edge so it is straight to feed into the slicer blade.
And then, when the opposite edge gets close to the slicing blade (when you are almost done slicing the entire piece), the edge will probably not be parallel to the edge you started slicing from. So it is easiest to stop slicing, rather than producing shorter and shorter slices.

Then, the leftover trimmings can be cut into cubes for use in any recipe that calls for bacon pieces.
Since these pieces were on the edge, against the curing spices and most exposed to smoke, they are more intensely flavoured.

One of the best reasons for making your own bacon!

Or knowing someone who does really well. p

Hey yeah JP...you could put a pig pen out by the summerhouse. The kids would get a kick outa feeding a piggy to get it fat..then you could shoot it..slice and dice...hang it up...light up a few cubans..and smoke the hell out of it..!! Walla..BACON..!!
Dinner Tonight...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I had some taco mix, which I added in some cream of chicken soup, then put it in some flour tortillas. Not bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe