Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Trout & almonds. Buy a couple of one pound trout on the way home. Turn away and pretend to be preoccupied whilst the trout are despatched by being bludgeoned, a quick rap on the skull and it's all over. They also slit the underbelly, degut, clean and scrape.

Wash the fish thoroughly, and scrape the scales with a sharp knife and pat dry. Pre-prepare a plate of flour, well seasoned with salt & pepper. Cover the fish in the flour. In a large pan, heat a slosh of olive oil on a medium to high heat. Place the fish in the pan each facing head to tail. Turn regularly and turn over regularly for about five minutes. Add about 4oz of almonds, cook the fish for about two more minutes then remove them to a warm plate. Turn the heat up high and keep tossing the almonds until they scorch.

You can either serve the trout on a bed of rice, or with a selection of salad. Spoon the almonds down the length of the fish. If you are one to adoid fish because of their small bones, here's a way of eating trout and similar fish. Using a fish knife, run the point of the blade along the centre line of the fish, having first removed the skin. Then using the flat edge, prise the upper section upwards, off the bone. Similarly prise the lower section downwards. Now hold the tail and slowly lift. Take your time and the whole skeleton will lift clean off. Discard and enjoy your trout without the risk of getting a bone stuck in your throat.

how-to-make-trout-with-almonds_WidePlayer.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT, on my phone the fish appear to have the plague of boils. :rofl:

I'm sure it tasted nice.

Agh! The ten plagues of Egypt. In the British Library, they are depicted in art form. The plague before the boils is shown as the plague of blood. It's where Aaron touches The Nile with his staff and the river turns to blood, killing all the fish. So you may have a point.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's only two of us, so whenever I cook anything, I cook future portions that are frozen to be consumed another day. Today we will finish off the cottage pie. It's defrosting at the moment.
Tomorrow I shall cook a shoulder of lamb in a pot roast. The shoulder is fattier than a leg, but in a pot roast it's very tender. We had this meal in a pub many years ago, it was so enjoyable that I asked for the recipe. Most of the meal is a traditional roast, with fresh vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. A few small new potatoes, steamed in their skins and a couple of roast potatoes.
We have a slow roast cooker, one of the kitchen gizmos that actually gets regular use. You can use a large saucepan.
Trim off any excess fat from the shoulder, but don't discard it. Shred a single carrot using a cheese grater, finely chop half an onion.
Dissolve a couple of lamb stock cubes into half a pint of boiling water and set aside.
Take the trimmed fat and chop it into very small pieces. Put a good slosh of olive oil into a pan, warm over a medium/high heat.
Crush a couple of cloves of garlic and put it in the pan adding about a teaspoonful of dried rosemary. Turn the heat down a notch, add the fat trimmings. Whilst that is cooking, blend the carrot and onion with a small amount of the stock.
Now add the blended stock, stirring continually. Mix it all well together and turn the heat off.
Place the lamb shoulder into the slow cooker or saucepan. Pour the contents of the pan over the meat, then add the remains of the stock.
If the meat is not completely covered, top up with cold water. Cover the cooker/saucepan with a lid, cook on a low heat (on a scale of one to ten, number 4.) This will need to cook for about four to five hours. Turn the meat periodically throughout the cooking process.
When cooked, turn off the heat and leave the meat in the hot stock whilst you make the gravy.
Using a pint mixing jug, put two large spoonfulls of gravy granules into the jug.
Using a ladle, add the stock, filtering off the veg first. Add enough stock to get a pouring consistency. To this gravy add two large spoonfulls of mint sauce. Stir well. Discard the surplus stock, or, freeze it for future use.
The meat will just fall off the bone, but do try to carve as much as you can.
Serve three or four generous slices per plate. Add the precooked potatoes and other veg. Pour over the mint sauce gravy. And enjoy.

I do appreciate that it is something of a palaver, but it's well worth the effort.
And when a mass, global meeting for all loungers is organised. I shall cook it for everybody.
Except the veggies.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd