Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Corto said:
"Little Murders". Makes me glad I didn't come of age in the late 1960's, early 1970's with all of its angst-ridden existential soul searching...

I saw this too, on TV. About 75% of it anyway. I really liked the Donald Sutherland/ Rev. Dupas character! I'll have to see the whole thing, and read the book too!

The last one I watched was "Black Widow" and, even though I wouldn't call it "film noir" as the box did, I did enjoy it. Usually the hyper-techincolor 1950's films kind of simultaneously bore me and freak me out...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
last night I watched Hitchcock's Shadow of a doubt - his own favorite movie. A very god movie, I liked the suspense that build up and the way he portrays the uncle and the niece, he manages to make their relaitionship feel just a tad inappropriate which just adds to the flair of the movie.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am watching Down with Love right now .. Down with love - Up with chocolate lol lol I know it makes me a dork but I love it.. the fashion, the music, the sets, the talk ..

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I bought THE MAJOR & THE MINOR (1942) and having never seen it before, thought it was good fun. Ginger Rogers is quite possibly the most underrated actress of her time, considering she won an Academy Award.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Joseph Cotten Night on TCM

Duel in the Sun (1946)
Joe and Gregory Peck are the sons of Lionel Barrymore, a big man in old-time Texas. Early Technicolor Western with some good moments, notably Peck as a bad boy (and not a Peck's bad boy - a real one).

Farmer's Daughter (1947)
Overlooked. Nice story of a Swedish maid (Loretta Young) with a social conscience and a stagey accent, who hires on at Congressman Cotten's house and begins to get involved with politics (and Cotten). Ethel Barrymore and Charles Bickford are their likeable selves. It was based on a play by the director of the Finnish state radio network.

Portrait of Jennie (1948)
Oscar winner - compelling plot with occult undertones, but marred by a lot of mushy, overcooked dialogue. Joe, an artist, encounters a ghostly girl from years ago (Jennifer Jones) and finds himself compelled to paint her picture. Ms. Barrymore is his dealer and his rock, David Wayne his good pal.

Cotten had a strong and polished presence on screen and a unique voice reflecting his radio acting past and Southern background. You want to take him seriously, even when (as in Jennie) his dialogue is lame. He also wore clothes extremely well.
joseph-cotton.jpg

Born May 15, 1905

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Netflix double-feature with my brother: Planet Terror and Death Proof. He likes movies about zombies and I like movies about cars crashing and exploding, so there was something for everyone. I was really bummed that the trailers that ran during the original theatrical release, (Don't, Werewolf Women of the SS, etc.) were not included on either DVD.

WH1

Practically Family
yeah but there is only one Sophia, still an amazing woman, beautiful and dignified.

Tonight I made a pleasant discovery, a new channel on cable OVATION. they are showing Round Midnight, a movie made in 1986, about the 1950's bebop jazz scene in paris and new york. a truly great movie if you have never seen it. Stars jazz saxophonist Dexter Gordon, he was nominated for an academy award for the performance. The music is amazing definitely a sound track I will be looking for.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Annie Hall in a movie theater--gorgeous print that was so sharp you could pick out the white on white pattern on Annie's shirt.

I've seen this film over 20 times and it still makes me laugh, I still pick out something new every time.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
last night I watched Hitchcock's Shadow of a doubt - his own favorite movie. A very god movie, I liked the suspense that build up and the way he portrays the uncle and the niece, he manages to make their relaitionship feel just a tad inappropriate which just adds to the flair of the movie.

That's one of my favorites too Darhling--isn't Joseph Cotten's (Uncle Charlie) wardrobe to die for in that?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
One of the few Woody Allen films I hadn't seen, Celebrity. While it was somewhat confused in what it was trying to do (the story was half-baked and episodic), I found it to be better than its reviews/reputation would indicate. It's not one of his best, but it definitely has its moments.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
That's one of my favorites too Darhling--isn't Joseph Cotten's (Uncle Charlie) wardrobe to die for in that?

yes! There are some amazing men's jackets in that film!!I suspect Uncle Charlie to be quite slim, since he is wearing very narrow jackets - it looks so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe