Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're running "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day," which is definitely the most upbeat film we've had in quite a while. If it had been filmed in 1939 it would've starred Carole Lombard and Edna Mae Oliver, but Amy Adams and Frances McDormand make excellent substitutes! And I dearly want Ms. Adams's little blue hat.

Feraud

Bartender
Just re-watched Jules Dassin's The Naked City. The film features great New York locations.
Also time well spent with with Bogey and Gloria Grahame in In a Lonely Place.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I finally saw The Good German on cable last night.

I wasn't too thrilled: the "b/w" (actually digitally desaturated color) photography didn't get the old-time look quite right, the story(telling) was a mess, and only Cate Blanchett's acting stood out; George Clooney seemed to be sleepwalking, and Tobey Maguire (an actor I usually vigorously defend) was miscast and downright awful. The "authentic golden-era Hollywood" flourishes - the use of old lenses, locked-down camera, obvious rear-projection, less-naturalistic acting, etc. - infused the picture with some style, but not enough to make it more than a vaguely interesting experiment.

Basically, it made me want to watch Billy Wilder's A Foreign Affair again for the seventh or eighth time!

Maguire

Practically Family
in the theater the last film i saw was the ruins. Hilarious movie. Last film i saw on my own i'd say was Falling Down again.

In two days though i'll be seeing FIRST BLOOD on the big screen. i'm looking forward to it highly.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I finally saw The Good German on cable last night.

I wasn't too thrilled: the "b/w" (actually digitally desaturated color) photography didn't get the old-time look quite right, the story(telling) was a mess, and only Cate Blanchett's acting stood out; George Clooney seemed to be sleepwalking, and Tobey Maguire (an actor I usually vigorously defend) was miscast and downright awful. The "authentic golden-era Hollywood" flourishes - the use of old lenses, locked-down camera, obvious rear-projection, less-naturalistic acting, etc. - infused the picture with some style, but not enough to make it more than a vaguely interesting experiment.

Basically, it made me want to watch Billy Wilder's A Foreign Affair again for the seventh or eighth time!

I read the book and was really excited when I heard that they were making a movie. Unfortunately, they completely butchered it. I couldn't even get past the few ten minutes of the film.

Read the book, though, if you get a chance. It's excellent.

Corto

A-List Customer
"Little Murders". Makes me glad I didn't come of age in the late 1960's, early 1970's with all of its angst-ridden existential soul searching...

Corto

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Just finished watching Le Samourai for the first time. It was very good and I want to view it again before returning it to Netflix.

Great flick. Make sure you check out "Army of Shadows". Same director. Better than "Le Samourai" in my opinion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe