Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

freebird

Practically Family
Here Comes the Navy with James Cagney and Pat O'Brien. It was actually filmed on the USS Arizona in 1934 and also features the USS Macon, the Navy's dirigible.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The Kingdom of Heaven. I was rather impressed. I really enjoyed it. I was also impressed that it had a commentary type feature to tell the real historical story. I didn't have the time to use it though.. :(

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zaika said:
the interpreter. i remember reading bad reviews about this one...but i found it interesting, if not a little over the top.

One thing about "The Interpreter", which I enjoyed.

Sean Penn is a SS agent, it's actually (I believe) the State Department's Diplomatic Security Service that would have been called in.

I only know they exist because a good friend of mine became one.

Feraud

Bartender
A documentary called Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa. A look at people who choose to live away from perceived government/"big city" intrusion. Members of the Mesa live with little or no electricity, food, water, and sanitary conditions. Others appear to have mental disorders and take recreational drugs and alcohol a bit more than recreationally.
The mesa is also a pit stop for runaways making their escape from home.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
RIOT said:
The Valley of Gwangi (1969).

One of my midnight on the couch movies. I haven't seen this since I was a kid, and boy did that bring back a lot of memories. I would like to have experienced watching this at an old drive inn movie theater in a jalopy roadster! Someday..

This was my very very favourite movie when I was a little gaffer and before I discovered Planet of the Apes. I had the comic too.

Cowboys and dinosaurs - what else could a four year old want?

I had some plastic dinos and some plastic cowboys from a birthday cake and boy did they rumble.

valleyofgwangi.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
last night i watched Xanadu and it was the most entertaining thing i've watched in awhile. olivia newton-john! gene kelly! ELO! roller skating! 80s-does-40s! jazz dance!! :D :D :D

Lady Day said:
Signs (again) M Knight Shyamalan's best film, in my opinion. LD
A fine film with some brilliant sections. I love the scene when the dad (Mel Gibson) comes home and finds his kids and his brother with aluminum foil on their heads so they look like Hershey's Kisses!

Good stuff and the story builds suspense and tension really well.

Cloverfield was not as bad as I thought it would be after i heard about it. The thing is it is about twenty-somethings in the current age, which means it has all the personal interactions of teenagers but even more self focused.

Once you dispense with the self focus, and get past the shakey camera, then it becomes and excercise in: "What do you do in this situation?"

I thought the Mist was pretty good as was 30 Days of Night, both of which are great fodder for the what do you do now 'strategery' excercises.

How many of you know what a bug-out bag is?:eek:

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Cloverfield was not as bad as I thought it would be after i heard about it. The thing is it is about twenty-somethings in the current age, which means it has all the personal interactions of teenagers but even more self focused.

Once you dispense with the self focus, and get past the shakey camera, then it becomes and excercise in: "What do you do in this situation?"

You know, it almost bears watching..because of the effects. (Cloverfield)

But, think "Blair Witch Project" in NYC with 20somethings with more special effects and CGI and then leave out the explanation of how the "monster" came into being, what it wants, how to destroy it, and any sort of resolution whatsoever.

Then..watch the director's commentary and roll your eyes until you hurt.

But, in all honesty, I couldn't stop watching it. LIke a train wreck.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Indiana Jones and the Kindom of the Crystal Skull"
I went to the midnight premiere at the Tempe CineCapri last night (this morning!) with friends to see it hit the BIG screen. I was glad to see that I wasn't the only IJ nutter to wear his Indy gear without shame or embarrassment. Several guys showed up in full wardrobe, including 'Dad' (the spitting image of Sean Connery!) who came up and shook my hand. The manager gave me a chit for free popcorn for dressing the part!

As expected, I enjoyed every minute of the experience - including the yells of "Hey Indy!" from the crowd. My friends got a kick out of the audacity (not one of them shot a picture though!) The movie was excellent in every way and Ford was in top form, in my opinion. I won't reveal any plot twists at this time, but there are a few shockers to be sure and more than a few "cliff hangers".

Quit with the negative waves, put aside your pre-conceived notions and go see this movie, will ya?!! It's just good entertainment and is funny and gripping all at the same time. I am glad I went and will no doubt go again and it enjoy just as much. :eusa_clap

"Fortune and Glory, kid; fortune and glory"
-dixon 'Arizona Joe' cannon

P.S. 23May08 Update Phoenix, AZ: Went and saw it again last night just because it was so good the first time! This is a gooooood movie! -dc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe