Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
30 Days of Night

Im a sucker for a good horror flick, and I liked this one. No real story, but the atmosphere that was set was not too horrible.

LD

i thought it was entertaining as well...definitely not dull...lol

zaika

One Too Many
"So Proudly We Hail" with Claudette Colbert, Paulette Goddard, Veronica Lake, George Reeves...

It was really great. Not as sentimentally patriotic as I thought it would be.

Yes...I cried. SHADDUP!! lol lol

RIOT

Practically Family
The Valley of Gwangi (1969).

One of my midnight on the couch movies. I haven't seen this since I was a kid, and boy did that bring back a lot of memories. I would like to have experienced watching this at an old drive inn movie theater in a jalopy roadster! Someday..

The Mist

I went to my brother's house last weekend and watched the Stephen King movie, "The Mist" and I enjoyed it a lot. In some ways it was standard and predictable, but in other ways, there are scenes that gave me goosebumps.

If you have a Always Prepared mentality and been thru a few of life's emegencies it will get you thinking about strategy, what to do and what not to do. That made it engaging to me.

There is a scene in the beginning before everything goes nuts, where The Mist is sweeping into the town and the sirens go off, that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Reminded me of the daily noon testing of the air-raid sirens and the occassion full on siren test..

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Last Movie...

Dancing Lady with Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, and Fred the dancin' man himself. Great flick, I never knew Joan could shake a tail feather like that! Love Turner Classic Movies!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Ladies night was spent watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Doesn't matter that we'd all seen it at least 50 times[huh]

Lady Day said:
30 Days of Night Im a sucker for a good horror flick, and I liked this one. No real story, but the atmosphere that was set was not too horrible. LD

The scene where they show the town from above, during the attack was creepy, it reminded me a little bit of the LA riots coverage from the news helicopters. Interesting Vampire culture in this one.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hondo said:
"Fight Club" with Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Meat Loaf, Helena Bonham Carter,
I put off viewing this cause I had this idea about fighting, street fighting club,
Man was I wrong! It was an unusual movie, strange movie but I enjoyed :)

Meat Loaf has guts to look like that! ;)

Absolutely superb film Hondo. I actually just watched it again for the nth time last week (posted here about it as well ;) )

Even with the better half oohing and aahing about Mr Pitt with his shirt off...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
John in Covina said:
The scene where they show the town from above, during the attack was creepy, it reminded me a little bit of the LA riots coverage from the news helicopters. Interesting Vampire culture in this one.

That was the most striking scene, I totally agree. IT showed the carnage, but kept you detached. I bet that was taken from a scene from the original graphic novel. IT also added to the isolation of being in that town.

Nicely done.

LD

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
I love Carmen Miranda and Betty Grable so I just finished watching "Down Argentine Way" twice in a row :D Also, I just bought "Our Vines have Tender Grapes (1945) It is a classic I knew from childhood, I make it sound like I'm old (I think the whole turning 30 thing is getting to me lol) My mother and I would sit and watch Classic movies and this one was my all time favorite

A.R. McVintage

Harp said:
Memoirs of a Geisha. :eusa_clap

Did not like this one.

Hollywood tells us the story (using mostly non-Japanese actresses) of how we should feel sorry for this woman who becomes a Geisha (a decent place to be in her society) during a time when this woman's people were systematically and brutally murdering Chinese men, women, and children by the millions (conveniently left out of the story).

Cry me a river.

A.R. McVintage

Amadeus.

F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce in a magnificent costume drama about how those who are jealous of the truly talented will try in any way to bring them down.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The direct-to-DVD animated Justice League: New Frontier - I had to see for myself what all the screaming was about.

Set in the mid-1950s and featuring the sort-of first meeting of the new Silver Age JL members - Hal Jordan's Green Lantern, Barry Allen's Flash, Martian Manhunter - with the DC "big three", it's undeniably ambitious and almost shockingly mature. But I had mixed feelings about it.

The fifties stylization, which extends beyond just designs and technology to include McCarthyesque paranoia and company-man conformism, is mostly very good. And the heroes' charactizations cunningly mix the old DC-writing simplicity with deeper, more adult emotions. But I don't think it all entirely works.

If you're a Hal Jordan Green Lantern fan, you will love this - it's all here: his test pilot career, Carol Ferris, Abin Sur - he gets by far the most screen time. Many of the other heroes have little more than cameos, but they're all done interestingly (Superman is much as in the Fleischer cartoons, Batman appears in his original scary and less-so forties incarnations, Wonder Woman is played really tough... and she's a true Amazon, taller than Superman!) And there are some big, exciting battle scenes - the kind of thing we've come to expect from the earlier Bruce Timm-steered DC animation (though he's only exec producer here and the designs are pretty different from his JL.)

Where the film overreaches itself is in trying to be a social history of the time, tracing the end of WWII thinking against the coming Kennedy era. This is also where it gets into trouble with its few glaring anarchronisms (e.g., no mid-50s TV commentator would have used the term "white supremicists.") It wants to both be a fun superhero cartoon and a statement on the human condition... But overreaching is better than playing it safe, isn't it?

For myself - as somebody whose memories begin circa 1959 - there were plenty of jaw-drop moments. If you were a child of the fifties or early sixties who read the old-style DC comics, there are parts of this flick where your inner 9-year-old is going to come to the fore and love it. And even if you don't have that connection, you might want to try it too.

So... I don't think it's quite the masterpiece that it's being hailed as - but it is pretty darn good...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom tonight. They showed Raiders last week and it's The Last Crusade next week in preparation for the new one coming out.

I know some don't like Temple of Doom but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There's a little nostalgia in there as well as my dear old Mum took me to it when it came out.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I am watching "Big Trouble In Little China" on cable tonight. I have seen this movie dozens of times and I still love it. Kurt Russell as Jack Burton should have had sequels!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe