Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think the conversion suits you well, brother. I really like how you made it look.

Any way to stretch the hat to your size, or just gonna keep it for display?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thank you, Justin. I was actually thinking of trading it off for something in my size. I'm not going to wear it. It's a real nice hat and very clean on the inside. Both the sweat and liner look nearly new. The sweat is still supple too. I've only seen two others like it. Even Brad Bowers couldn't find info on it. I think, Barrowith?, has one. His still has the original price tag of $16.50 from 1949. It seems to be fairly rare...It has a whip stitch felted hat band and a 2 5/8 raw edge brim. Both of the other hats like this one were the same in every way.

Imperial_03.jpg

Imperial_6.jpg
Imperial_7.jpg
Imperial_8.jpg

Imperial_9.jpg

It's missing the sweat band bow and the size tag. It's tagged 7 1/8 on the red and white manufacturer's label.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Thank you, Justin. I was actually thinking of trading it off for something in my size. I'm not going to wear it. It's a real nice hat and very clean on the inside. Both the sweat and liner look nearly new. The sweat is still supple too. I've only seen two others like it. Even Brad Bowers couldn't find info on it. I think, Barrowith?, has one. His still has the original price tag of $16.50 from 1949. It seems to be fairly rare...It has a whip stitch felted hat band and a 2 5/8 raw edge brim. Both of the other hats like this one were the same in every way.

Imperial_03.jpg

Imperial_6.jpg
Imperial_7.jpg
Imperial_8.jpg

Imperial_9.jpg

It's missing the sweat band bow and the size tag. It's tagged 7 1/8 on the red and white manufacturer's label.
now i wish i had something to trade for that! Expect you'll be offered by PM by those as do. Lucky them. I like your OR homage conversion on you too, but then i honestly wouldn't have the bottle to wear what i call a cowboy crease in this non hat wearing town. You could recrease that one as it fits you. Shame though.

Imperial_03.jpg

Imperial_6.jpg
Imperial_7.jpg
Imperial_8.jpg

Imperial_9.jpg

Very nice! I have an Imperial Stetson and a suede finish whip stitched Stetson, but not in the same hat. Both were fifteen dollar models.

I have a lot of catching up to do. just returning from a road trip with one hat which I couldn't wear very much because it was hot as blazes in Kentucky and I spent a lot of time under the sun. A Tilley did the trick, though it needed a bath when I got back. Spent much of the time in this pose, looking up - first at the clouds with a worried look, but finally at a spectacular solar eclipse. One photo as a souvenir... it shows the sun and moon 1 tenth of a second after totality. The sun is just peeking through a deep valley at the edge of the moon. Glasses and filters back on immediately after this was taken.

082117.jpg

xsm_returnofthesun.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Very nice! I have an Imperial Stetson and a suede finish whip stitched Stetson, but not in the same hat. Both were fifteen dollar models.
Thank you, alan. The one that's whip stitched, is that the Tijuana you have?

Great pic of the eclipse, btw. We weren't as lucky here in Central Ohio to see a total one. I think we only had 85% of a total eclipse here.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
now i wish i had something to trade for that! Expect you'll be offered by PM by those as do. Lucky them. I like your OR homage conversion on you too, but then i honestly wouldn't have the bottle to wear what i call a cowboy crease in this non hat wearing town. You could recrease that one as it fits you. Shame though.
Thanks KC. I'm starting to get used to it. I believe the Campdraft you have can be creased that way. Back in the day I believe Akubra was one of a few hat companies that was licensed by Stetson to make the OR. Campdraft looks to be a hold over of that hat. You should try the crease and see if you like it. People in your town may surprise you and like it more than you think.

I have a lot of catching up to do. just returning from a road trip with one hat which I couldn't wear very much because it was hot as blazes in Kentucky and I spent a lot of time under the sun. A Tilley did the trick, though it needed a bath when I got back. Spent much of the time in this pose, looking up - first at the clouds with a worried look, but finally at a spectacular solar eclipse. One photo as a souvenir... it shows the sun and moon 1 tenth of a second after totality. The sun is just peeking through a deep valley at the edge of the moon. Glasses and filters back on immediately after this was taken.

082117.jpg

xsm_returnofthesun.jpg
Great eclipse photo Alan, one of the best I've seen. Through a telescope? My nikon and a 270mm lense was not nearly as sharp.

Willebe

A-List Customer
I'm getting my Master's in Public History, my thesis is about OSU's Sesquicentennial Oral History project.
That is rather interesting as all history was once orally passed on from generation to generation, and it was often very detailed and congruent. It creates a very interesting perspective when you talk to people who lived through it. A couple of years ago I took care of a man who stormed Omaha Beach. Very interesting conversation. Not very man of those fellas left to tell the tale. Sounds like a great thesis. Pick a hat and get writing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

Imperial_03.jpg

Imperial_6.jpg
Imperial_7.jpg
Imperial_8.jpg

Imperial_9.jpg

if I had something trade worthy, your Inbox would be my best friend haha

Last edited:

Willebe

A-List Customer
My apologies for my recent absenteeism. Work has been an absolute zoo. So busy they pulled my vacation time that I had planned to take and head to Portland. :( I don't have much in the way of good hat pics but I do have a recent picture I am extremely fond of! It's of my soon to be son Jack Garner.
Congratulations!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Bob R, please wear that one more often. I'm a huge fan!

Jeff, that your Tom hardy clone (that what it was called?) either way, both myself and that cat of predatory stature are envious

Anthony, speechless. You won me over with that one, p.e.r.f.e.c.t

Michael, suiting hat, and it compliments you extremely well. Big thumbs up from my side of the States!!

Samuel, stunning strat!

moe, superb choice sir!

Alan, sweet hat, and beeautiful photos!!

Willebe

A-List Customer

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Came home to a splendid surprise. 3 hats and some new old stock hat holders made by Knox Hats (the yellow ones behind me). I will do a write up on these in a short while, like I did the other hat hangers.

I had to wear one of the new lids, this "Defender" was made between 1908-1909 for the Waite Hat Company (wholesaler). The hat bears stetson Lot stamping on the sweatband, which may mean that Stetson made this hat for the WHC. We were able to narrow the date range, as in 1907 the company was known as "Blake & Waite Hat Co." In 1908 the name changed to WHC, and in 1909 or shortly after the company went belly up.
f4bd5b21ccaad25f03645be0f6071402.jpg
f20ca6bfc1849601de04297e3078acc8.jpg
3fcd7b6096a86fb2b4da2231fd90a7d3.jpg
9f8aa46cdda00cacbd9c9d72dd181add.jpg
90ba7d97cc01a8aa2709a92b7a3e5b0d.jpg
62eed924f78179a11e67affe8d0b54c1.jpg
56d00e631aa1566000815805b4824123.jpg
33f06e6c150fc0f9e572e7518b163c71.jpg
c247b823fec7043313233983ac08f642.jpg

Great eclipse photo Alan, one of the best I've seen. Through a telescope? My nikon and a 270mm lense was not nearly as sharp.

Thanks... this is taken through a 92mm f 4.8 refractor (450mm focal length). The air stability - what we call astronomical seeing - was quite stable during the eclipse. Most of the data I captured was pretty sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88