Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I have a lot of catching up to do. just returning from a road trip with one hat which I couldn't wear very much because it was hot as blazes in Kentucky and I spent a lot of time under the sun. A Tilley did the trick, though it needed a bath when I got back. Spent much of the time in this pose, looking up - first at the clouds with a worried look, but finally at a spectacular solar eclipse. One photo as a souvenir... it shows the sun and moon 1 tenth of a second after totality. The sun is just peeking through a deep valley at the edge of the moon. Glasses and filters back on immediately after this was taken.

082117.jpg

xsm_returnofthesun.jpg
Best quality pic I've seen yet, Alan. We watched 2:01 totality in Monmouth, Oregon. It took me 2 hours to get home on a 35 minute trip, but my brother from LA took 12 hours to get to his hotel in Redding, CA, which is normally a 6 hour trip.

Did you notice a drop in temp? The wind started up here and felt like it dropped a good 15 - 20 degrees. I was a touch chilled, but my sister-in-law was freezing!

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Came home to a splendid surprise. 3 hats and some new old stock hat holders made by Knox Hats (the yellow ones behind me). I will do a write up on these in a short while, like I did the other hat hangers.

I had to wear one of the new lids, this "Defender" was made between 1908-1909 for the Waite Hat Company (wholesaler). The hat bears stetson Lot stamping on the sweatband, which may mean that Stetson made this hat for the WHC. We were able to narrow the date range, as in 1907 the company was known as "Blake & Waite Hat Co." In 1908 the name changed to WHC, and in 1909 or shortly after the company went belly up.
f4bd5b21ccaad25f03645be0f6071402.jpg
f20ca6bfc1849601de04297e3078acc8.jpg
3fcd7b6096a86fb2b4da2231fd90a7d3.jpg
9f8aa46cdda00cacbd9c9d72dd181add.jpg
90ba7d97cc01a8aa2709a92b7a3e5b0d.jpg
62eed924f78179a11e67affe8d0b54c1.jpg
56d00e631aa1566000815805b4824123.jpg
33f06e6c150fc0f9e572e7518b163c71.jpg
c247b823fec7043313233983ac08f642.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
That's all so cool I can hardly stand it! What a hat! And neat hat holders, too!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Came home to a splendid surprise. 3 hats and some new old stock hat holders made by Knox Hats (the yellow ones behind me). I will do a write up on these in a short while, like I did the other hat hangers.

I had to wear one of the new lids, this "Defender" was made between 1908-1909 for the Waite Hat Company (wholesaler). The hat bears stetson Lot stamping on the sweatband, which may mean that Stetson made this hat for the WHC. We were able to narrow the date range, as in 1907 the company was known as "Blake & Waite Hat Co." In 1908 the name changed to WHC, and in 1909 or shortly after the company went belly up.
Cool hat!!

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a lot of catching up to do. just returning from a road trip with one hat which I couldn't wear very much because it was hot as blazes in Kentucky and I spent a lot of time under the sun. A Tilley did the trick, though it needed a bath when I got back. Spent much of the time in this pose, looking up - first at the clouds with a worried look, but finally at a spectacular solar eclipse. One photo as a souvenir... it shows the sun and moon 1 tenth of a second after totality. The sun is just peeking through a deep valley at the edge of the moon. Glasses and filters back on immediately after this was taken.

082117.jpg

xsm_returnofthesun.jpg
Alan it doesn't matter what hat you're wearing; you make them all look good.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Great pics Jeff & a hat well chosen for it. The ribbon color works great with both the hat color & in the pic. That's a pic worth printing & framing when you get home.

Thanks HJ! Thought it was a fun one. That exact picture was hanging in hundreds of places around the hotel. For that particular shot I had to stand briefly on the sleeper couch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, that your Tom hardy clone (that what it was called?) either way, both myself and that cat of predatory stature are envious

Thanks Justin! Not sure it ever had an official title, but you're exactly right-- the one Parker Melvin made for me to assimilate the hat Tom Hardy wore as Forrest Bondurant in "Lawless." Not sure its exact to specs but it's a favorite nonetheless.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Went to Gill Coliseum today for a meeting with OSU Athletics. I'm doing the research on a 1967 "Giant Killers" team reunion in October. It was only appropriate to wear the Slats Gill Playboy clone to the "House that Slats Built". Working on the interesting brim curl that Gill put into his hat in 1935. It will take some weathering and wear to achieve the total look, but the Slats is getting there.
View attachment 83488 View attachment 83489 View attachment 83490

Just starting to catch up but that one looks suPERB on you, man.

That is rather interesting as all history was once orally passed on from generation to generation, and it was often very detailed and congruent. It creates a very interesting perspective when you talk to people who lived through it. A couple of years ago I took care of a man who stormed Omaha Beach. Very interesting conversation. Not very man of those fellas left to tell the tale. Sounds like a great thesis. Pick a hat and get writing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I have become quite evangelistic about the practice of oral history. Our project is cutting edge, using video and having a robust web portal. This is why it will be the main topic of my thesis. The idea of institutional memory being captured in our 150th year at Oregon State is an epic feat.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Def in my favorite top 2 or 3 of yours.
Thanks Bob. It's a beauty. As are the tall Whippet you have on today and the Borsa you had on the two days before.

Great looking lid, Michael.
Thanks Terry. Do you have your next conversion project lined up?

Looking good, Michael.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks Willebe. Hope your schooling season is starting out on the right note.

f4bd5b21ccaad25f03645be0f6071402.jpg
f20ca6bfc1849601de04297e3078acc8.jpg
3fcd7b6096a86fb2b4da2231fd90a7d3.jpg
9f8aa46cdda00cacbd9c9d72dd181add.jpg
90ba7d97cc01a8aa2709a92b7a3e5b0d.jpg
62eed924f78179a11e67affe8d0b54c1.jpg
56d00e631aa1566000815805b4824123.jpg
33f06e6c150fc0f9e572e7518b163c71.jpg
c247b823fec7043313233983ac08f642.jpg

Fantastic hat find Justin. I'm looking forward to your hat storage write up. I've been looking for ideas on the hat storage front.

Thanks all,
Michael

Best quality pic I've seen yet, Alan. We watched 2:01 totality in Monmouth, Oregon. It took me 2 hours to get home on a 35 minute trip, but my brother from LA took 12 hours to get to his hotel in Redding, CA, which is normally a 6 hour trip.

Did you notice a drop in temp? The wind started up here and felt like it dropped a good 15 - 20 degrees. I was a touch chilled, but my sister-in-law was freezing!

For sure... the temperature fell 15 degrees. At 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity, it was a welcome change. What was interesting was the change in weather conditions. We had early afternoon cumulus clouds that covered more than 50% of the sky. We were nervous that they might obscure our view of the eclipse. About halfway through the partial phase, the clouds evaporated and the sky was clear the rest of the way.

Great pic of the eclipse, btw. We weren't as lucky here in Central Ohio to see a total one. I think we only had 85% of a total eclipse here.

Thanks... we actually stayed overnight at our regular haunt in Columbus there and back. Had hoped that Lily might come with us, but the call of her alma mater and friends was too strong. We dropped her off and picked her up a few days later.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bob. It's a beauty. As are the tall Whippet you have on today and the Borsa you had on the two days before.

Fantastic hat find Justin. I'm looking forward to your hat storage write up. I've been looking for ideas on the hat storage front.

Thanks all,
Michael
Thank you my friend, and I hope ill do well by your means to help you out!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Thanks all,
Michael
Thank you Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88