Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Just under 50 years ago, forty eight and a half, to be precise, a hat-wearing neighbour of mine explained to me, that the trilby he wore, with a large brim, wasn't actually a trilby, it was a fedora. OK so the crown, ribbon and everything else wasn't quite the same either, but it seemed so, especially to a 22 year old with no knowledge of hats other than a 1960's jockey cap.

Today my wife and I were tidying her father's grave. We had gone to London in our old MG, there was a meeting of like minded owners. the date coincided with my father-in-law's passing, so we utilised our time by freshening his grave and then driving on to our classic car meeting. In the cemetery, at a nearby, freshly dug plot, was a recently buried: Derek John Webb. Derek was my hat tutor, from all those years ago. I hadn't seen him for almost 20 years. Nontheless, his death has left me feeling bereft.

Derek, and his wife Freda, were the best neighbours you could ever wish for. They were also a wonderful couple, so in love, so beautiful, so inspirational. I'm so shattered at discovering Derek's passing. But I know he wouldn't want tears, he was a now and here kind of guy. Involved in the community, a local politician, a mover and shaker. Every hat I wore, new (to him) or old, he would say: "You're learning."

What occurred to me on the way home, was Freda. How to word a card to the lady who was convinced that her wonderful husband would live forever. He was like that, he just lifted you. Maybe she has already come to terms with her loss, as I said, it's been 20 years. And then I looked across at the love of my life. She's never going to die. Nor am I, but of cousre we are, it's just another step along life's path.

So today, I am being strong, for my darling, this is for you.

And for Derek, I will miss you my friend, but every time I wear a fedora, I will always remember you. Rest In Peace.
View attachment 47475
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Derek sounds like he was a wonderful man. And your tribute is touching. It reminds me that the only things that REALLY matter are the relationships I have with those who fate has placed in my life. It is something I must always try to remember.

Tomorrow, I shall wear my hat in honor of Derek and the lovely bride that he has left behind.

The hat monkey is comin' to getya!
24ae969b2c4e627aba2d1569e9810386.jpg

Sheesh! I just got control of my trunk monkey!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Just under 50 years ago, forty eight and a half, to be precise, a hat-wearing neighbour of mine explained to me, that the trilby he wore, with a large brim, wasn't actually a trilby, it was a fedora. OK so the crown, ribbon and everything else wasn't quite the same either, but it seemed so, especially to a 22 year old with no knowledge of hats other than a 1960's jockey cap.

Today my wife and I were tidying her father's grave. We had gone to London in our old MG, there was a meeting of like minded owners. the date coincided with my father-in-law's passing, so we utilised our time by freshening his grave and then driving on to our classic car meeting. In the cemetery, at a nearby, freshly dug plot, was a recently buried: Derek John Webb. Derek was my hat tutor, from all those years ago. I hadn't seen him for almost 20 years. Nontheless, his death has left me feeling bereft.

Derek, and his wife Freda, were the best neighbours you could ever wish for. They were also a wonderful couple, so in love, so beautiful, so inspirational. I'm so shattered at discovering Derek's passing. But I know he wouldn't want tears, he was a now and here kind of guy. Involved in the community, a local politician, a mover and shaker. Every hat I wore, new (to him) or old, he would say: "You're learning."

What occurred to me on the way home, was Freda. How to word a card to the lady who was convinced that her wonderful husband would live forever. He was like that, he just lifted you. Maybe she has already come to terms with her loss, as I said, it's been 20 years. And then I looked across at the love of my life. She's never going to die. Nor am I, but of cousre we are, it's just another step along life's path.

And for Derek, I will miss you my friend, but every time I wear a fedora, I will always remember you. Rest In Peace.
View attachment 47475
Nice. Thoughtful.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
on the way to the studio I stopped by a lake I pass everyday to see my little buddy that you see in the background .

Stetson fifteen Imperial mode edge from my friend Roger
... you can just feel the quality on your head while wearing this

7ee75c4bfeb39b5411cea7c347d0dacc.jpg

f86b1c3d31aece3dcbc733a9a2bdf511.jpg

6596981ebf291b2fd59643b52748f8dd.jpg

e8d3de411440d7436f605daf6f1df291.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I just saw this, that thing looks great on you! Looks right at home!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I stopped in for a laugh over at the Akubra Overload thread and thought I would drop by here for a bit. Another great day of hats everyone. I got out for an evening stroll in the Playboy.
IMG_5005%201_zps6yylydg7.jpg
Michael, that is the single most impressive Playboy I have seen yet. The crown seems larger than others and it really makes the hat. And the color is awesome! Looks great on you.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 47475
Moving....

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many

View attachment 47475
Beautiful words. Sorry for your loss.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007