Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
...and that would be me most days so I just throw a cheap boogie hat in the bag just so I have something. What about you?

I never leave home without it...

New York HatCo with MC club logo embroidered on the back: The cap is tuff as nails.
0D84EFEC-414D-492A-AAE5-595DA58C0130_zpssb6mwamm.jpg

2E1719EB-9473-4D0B-B979-5C43767F9BFC_zpseyimosmh.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Just under 50 years ago, forty eight and a half, to be precise, a hat-wearing neighbour of mine explained to me, that the trilby he wore, with a large brim, wasn't actually a trilby, it was a fedora. OK so the crown, ribbon and everything else wasn't quite the same either, but it seemed so, especially to a 22 year old with no knowledge of hats other than a 1960's jockey cap.

Today my wife and I were tidying her father's grave. We had gone to London in our old MG, there was a meeting of like minded owners. the date coincided with my father-in-law's passing, so we utilised our time by freshening his grave and then driving on to our classic car meeting. In the cemetery, at a nearby, freshly dug plot, was a recently buried: Derek John Webb. Derek was my hat tutor, from all those years ago. I hadn't seen him for almost 20 years. Nontheless, his death has left me feeling bereft.

Derek, and his wife Freda, were the best neighbours you could ever wish for. They were also a wonderful couple, so in love, so beautiful, so inspirational. I'm so shattered at discovering Derek's passing. But I know he wouldn't want tears, he was a now and here kind of guy. Involved in the community, a local politician, a mover and shaker. Every hat I wore, new (to him) or old, he would say: "You're learning."

What occurred to me on the way home, was Freda. How to word a card to the lady who was convinced that her wonderful husband would live forever. He was like that, he just lifted you. Maybe she has already come to terms with her loss, as I said, it's been 20 years. And then I looked across at the love of my life. She's never going to die. Nor am I, but of cousre we are, it's just another step along life's path.

So today, I am being strong, for my darling, this is for you.

And for Derek, I will miss you my friend, but every time I wear a fedora, I will always remember you. Rest In Peace.
rear view.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007