Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think this is similar to the Knudsen Badlands, if that's what you're going for. I got it from Ebay from a guy in TN who calls himself a "rookie for sure." Frankly I'm rather fond of it, though it's a little over the top for my everyday wear. He calls it a "Mesa Pinch" and it doesn't have the mule kick. You can find him in the bay floating in "vintage handmade hats." Charles something or other. He'll do long ovals and various brim sizes and whatnot, if you specify, even if in response to a different specific listing. And I got it in a week.
I'm not the best guy to ask about felt quality, but I really can't complain.

That hat is awesome! Thanks for posting Bowlerman :).

johnnycanuck

Fantastic looking hat Bowlerman. It may not be a daily wear hat but it looks like a great camping hat.

Here is my new one I picked up this weekend. Stetson, 5X, mist coloured, made by Biltmore. I havent decided what I want to do with it yet.

866aa61a.jpg

Johnny

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I had no idea! That's pretty cool. Here's the link to the image if you want...looks like it was taken in 1925...great guess, Monbla :eusa_clap.

http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections/smith/collection.php?asn=LC-S6-537&mcat=60&scat=62

Wasn't a guess. The photos came from the collection at the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art over in Ft. Worth. But first , many came thru my mother's hands when she spent 15 years cataloging the COMPLETE collection of the Ft. Worth Star Telegram photos which were given to the University of Texas at Arlington. These photos were given to the Carter Museum about 10 years ago. I remember when she was going thru them and she would show me some when I wnet to her office at the University. Small world huh? :)
Onward thru the Fog :)

Neophyte

Wasn't a guess. The photos came from the collection at the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art over in Ft. Worth. But first , many came thru my mother's hands when she spent 15 years cataloging the COMPLETE collection of the Ft. Worth Star Telegram photos which were given to the University of Texas at Arlington. These photos were given to the Carter Museum about 10 years ago. I remember when she was going thru them and she would show me some when I wnet to her office at the University. Small world huh? :)
Onward thru the Fog :)

That is an awesome story. :) A small world it definitely is.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic looking hat Bowlerman. It may not be a daily wear hat but it looks like a great camping hat.

Here is my new one I picked up this weekend. Stetson, 5X, mist coloured, made by Biltmore. I havent decided what I want to do with it yet.

866aa61a.jpg

Johnny

Johnny, I see something like this with that hat.
red-rider.jpg

Something a little rough and tumble. But hey, that's just my two cents, for what it is worth.

Cheers!

Dan

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I collect antique photos and I happen to have one with Will Rogers in it. It was taken in the early 1900s.

5389096251_14a151dced.jpg

5389700904_e733cb4def.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

I wonder if those fellows tilted their hats up on their heads so that the photo would get their faces better, or whether that's the way they wore them all day anyway? If the latter, then the style of wearing hat down by the eyebrows, level when viewed from the side, might be an urban style instead of a California cowpoke town style.

frussell

One Too Many
I think it's for the photo. You can't ride a horse long with your hat tilted back like that, unless it's a really calm day. My grandfather, an old-school photographer, used to always have subjects tilt their headgear back so it wouldn't cast a shadow on the face. Anyway, that's what I think. Frank

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I wonder if those fellows tilted their hats up on their heads so that the photo would get their faces better, or whether that's the way they wore them all day anyway?

I would pretty much guarantee it was for the photo. Most photographers of that day told customers for posed photos to put the hat further back so you can see the face better. Remember, they used natural, available light most of the time.

I wonder if those fellows tilted their hats up on their heads so that the photo would get their faces better, or whether that's the way they wore them all day anyway? If the latter, then the style of wearing hat down by the eyebrows, level when viewed from the side, might be an urban style instead of a California cowpoke town style.

Lots of folks look very bug-eyed in old photos because they were told NOT to blink due to long time to expose the shot. Even with the "flash" capability of the day, hats would be pushed back so as to not shadow the face of subjects.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Although it is a movie lid, I've always like the Johnn Ringo style that Michael Biehn wore in Tombstone. Just don't know if I could pull that one off or not. But it looks good on him.
johnny_ringo.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Neophyte

Hey GTDean, thanks for putting up that pic of your gus Frankenstetson. I tried to imitate it, and I learned that I really, really like a good, shallow-angle gus.

I took out the telescope in my Buckaroo and put in a shallow gus, and I really like it (although a kettle curl on the brim would really bring it together)!

I may post pics later if the sun EVER comes out :).

Although it is a movie lid, I've always like the Johnn Ringo style that Michael Biehn wore in Tombstone. Just don't know if I could pull that one off or not. But it looks good on him.
Cheers!

Dan

You can, Dan. It's little more than a angled telescope with a wide brim. You'd have no problem pulling that off.

Last edited:

danofarlington

Cheers!

Dan

That's a serious question. I have no doubt that it would look good in the abstract. The question is, would you ever wear it outside? Buying an unusual hat IMHO requires places where you would dare to wear it. Frank Morgan, for instance, wears a cool Western-style black hat as Professor Marvel in "The Wizard of Oz." (It looks cool, it's not a wizard hat.) I want to commission that to be copied one day. I've decided that to wear it I'd want a brown corduroy jacket like he has, maybe a vest too. Then I'd wear it on weekends, or until ribbing became a problem, which it may not. Anyway, that's my plan. So for any other unusual hat, before spending the money, I'd want to have thought about where I would wear it. I think casual places--restaurants, bars, concerts, museums--would be OK for my particular unusual hat. If you think about it in advance, it will reduce the chance that you've got an expensive white elephant that never sees noggin time.

Neophyte

That's a serious question. I have no doubt that it would look good in the abstract. The question is, would you ever wear it outside? Buying an unusual hat IMHO requires places where you would dare to wear it.

Dano has a point. What I've tended to do is look at movie hats I like and then decide how I would alter them so that I'd be more comfortable with wearing them. Ringo's hat, for example: I would cut down the brim a bit, remove the stampede string and add a tooled leather hatband with a silver buckle on the side. It's not the same hat, of course, but it is "inspired" by the movie hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82