Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

.... Anyone know if it can be stretched sweatband-in? Or do I need to have it reblocked or something?

Should be just fine to stretch sweatband-in. I sweat in my westerns when working & riding & they draw up some when they dry = natural leather behavior. Make sure the sweatband leather is supple before you stretch it tho. The evaporation of the sweat takes the oils with it & that is why the leather tightens up. I use Lexol leather conditioner wipes. I have about 4 stretchers = 2 hatjacks & 2 vintage. They are in constant use....

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The Art of William Matthews always shows real working cowboys in their distinctive western hats. His watercolors was the inspiration to have my old Resistol converted to an Elko style hat several years back.
williamMatthews-Cowboy.jpg
imageil8.jpg

william-matthews-partnership.jpg

This is a book that I have.
candiwm.jpg

Matthews_Poster_Framed_031607.jpg

gate-gears.jpg

bottle-tops-ed-50-22-x-31.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yes, with Ranger Doug! I first discovered them through my kids' Barney video-- great hats, and boy are they a tight ensemble!

My favorite of theirs is their Christmas album. And yes, a very tight ensemble. They used to come to our local County Fair each year along with The Sons of the San Joaquin, Waddie Mitchell and Chris Ledoux.
Always thought Ranger Doug had a fantastic speaking & singing voice. One that is a pleasure to listen to.

Cheers!

Dan

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones, I love those pics you posted. Thanks! They give me ideas :D. You guys are making it impossible to decide on a hat!

I was also happy to see that my Buckaroo western closely resembles some of the hats in these pics, albeit with a much different felt color and accessories.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've always loved William Matthews style in watercolors. I've even tried to emulate his style some waht whenever I do a watercolor painting. He paints from real rugged life. The life of working cowboys.
I had this conversion done several years back based on some of the cowboys in his paintings.
100_5354.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Neo,
What about these, flat wide brim, low crown, fuzzy thing in hat band, "stampede string" sort of a Silverbelly color. Everything you want :) And they are worn by horsemen, Spanish Piccadors in the bullring in Madrid :)

1181287158Rc5pLIZDSC_12721.jpg

Onward thru the Fog :)

frussell

One Too Many
Dan - I've got a nice WM poster of Waddie Mitchell, signed by William, appears to be wearing the same hat as in your post. I've met Don Edwards many times, and he is a real Western treasure. Also seen the Sons of the San Joaquin a dozen times or so. Seems like we've got very similar taste in art and hats. Frank

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Frussell, I've met Don Edwards several times as well, and Waddie Mitchell numerous occasions. Had supper with him and his family in Gardnerville, Nevada a couple of times as well while living out there. One of the nicest folks you could ever hope to meet. The particular shirts that Waddie wears are custom made. A friend of his made them especially for him to do ranch work in. Long tight cuffs so as not to get them snagged, plenty of room in the arms and body for movement and air flow. And the pocket watch patch pocket for obvious reasons.
The man is one heck of a word smith and a hard working rancher.

Cheers!

Dan

warbird

One Too Many
I like the one titled Cowboys and Images. I have a tall crowned Tom Mix I might have to try that one on. Or an old Resistol I recently acquired that has a fairly high crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82