Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

msm007

One of the Regulars
Lots of folks look very bug-eyed in old photos because they were told NOT to blink due to long time to expose the shot. Even with the "flash" capability of the day, hats would be pushed back so as to not shadow the face of subjects.

Working as a photographer, I can say that even using studio strobes on people wearing hats - the flash has to be at a low angle to get the face. A bouncer which can cover the face and hat is ideal, otherwise a reflector if using daylight. Must have been a nightmare for early photographers.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That's a serious question. I have no doubt that it would look good in the abstract. The question is, would you ever wear it outside? Buying an unusual hat IMHO requires places where you would dare to wear it. Frank Morgan, for instance, wears a cool Western-style black hat as Professor Marvel in "The Wizard of Oz." (It looks cool, it's not a wizard hat.) I want to commission that to be copied one day. I've decided that to wear it I'd want a brown corduroy jacket like he has, maybe a vest too. Then I'd wear it on weekends, or until ribbing became a problem, which it may not. Anyway, that's my plan. So for any other unusual hat, before spending the money, I'd want to have thought about where I would wear it. I think casual places--restaurants, bars, concerts, museums--would be OK for my particular unusual hat. If you think about it in advance, it will reduce the chance that you've got an expensive white elephant that never sees noggin time.

Well Dano, In my neck of the woods there are plenty of western hats, and more of this and the Elko style show up all the time. So it wouldn't be too out of place around here, it's almost common. It would make a great outdoors hat for sure, and there might be the odd comment here and there but that is no big whoop. Heck, I can even get it from the man who made the original in the first place which is super convenient. I just don't have that rawbone look the Biehn had, I suppose if I lost another 20 lbs. it may work. Who knows? Of course it is one of those hats for me that is on again off again. Of course it would be super fun to have and a wide brim like that is really handy outdoors and all. We shall see. Right now the monetary situation isn't good enough to get one, so I shall wait.

Cheers!

Dan

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right now the monetary situation isn't good enough to get one, so I shall wait.

Cheers!

Dan

This has stopped me cold for quite a while. Hope to resume purchases someday, but not now. That's why my unusual hat, for example, is still on the wish list. As to other wide brims like Western hats, here in the Washington area you don't see them except for people I take to be transplants, so it's a more serious question about what boundaries I'm going to try and stretch. In an environment where there are a lot of Western hats, I guess you could just go for it. Anyway, my own proposed wide-brim hat would stretch some boundaries here, but I'm determined to do it in the name of a cool-looking hat inspired by a movie.

Last edited:

Neophyte

This has stopped me cold for quite a while. Hope to resume purchases someday, but not now..

I am sadly in the same boat as well. Within the span of three days my computer broke, one of the temple arms on my glasses frame snapped right off, and the left handbrake on my bike snapped. Needless to say, I'll be in the hole for a while lol.

For now, I'll just have to mess with my current hats or keep up on the "New Hats" and "WHAYWT" threads [huh].

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I am sadly in the same boat as well. Within the span of three days my computer broke, one of the temple arms on my glasses frame snapped right off, and the left handbrake on my bike snapped. Needless to say, I'll be in the hole for a while lol.

For now, I'll just have to mess with my current hats or keep up on the "New Hats" and "WHAYWT" threads [huh].

You have my condolences, just be thankfull you don't ALSO have a mortage to deal with, a car/truck payment, insurance, two kids to feed and on and on and on :) You'd be in the hole FOREVER :) There are some good things about being my age and single for sure :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Neophyte

Alright guys, here's the newest crease. It's a Gus/angled center dent, and I think I will be keeping it. I like it a lot more than the telescope (it was great, but the telescope barely reached 4'', which looked odd to me on my head). The pics don't give a great indication of how it looks in person, due to the low lighting and snowy conditions, but trust me, it looks really good! :D

WesternCrease3.jpg
WesternCrease4.jpg

I don't like the second pic very much, as it makes it look appear to have a lot of taper, which is in reality inaccurate. The crease has no taper, except where it begins to round off near the top.

Better pics to come when conditions allow!

Neophyte

Thanks. I agree, I couldn't believe I had 6 inches of crown to work with (by a half-inch my tallest hat). It put a smile on my face for sure. As an added bonus to myself, in the process of working in the Gus, I finally figured out the center dent! Can't wait for my next fedora......which will probably be a while...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Alright guys, here's the newest crease. It's a Gus/angled center dent, and I think I will be keeping it. I like it a lot more than the telescope (it was great, but the telescope barely reached 4'', which looked odd to me on my head). The pics don't give a great indication of how it looks in person, due to the low lighting and snowy conditions, but trust me, it looks really good! :D

WesternCrease3.jpg
WesternCrease4.jpg

I don't like the second pic very much, as it makes it look appear to have a lot of taper, which is in reality inaccurate. The crease has no taper, except where it begins to round off near the top.

THAT looks SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER ! KEEP IT :) Fit's the brim, crown AND your face SO MUCH BETTER !!

fmw

One Too Many

WesternCrease3.jpg
WesternCrease4.jpg

There you go. Excellent!

Neophyte

That's a good one Neo. Keep it. Where are you in school?

Thank you. Are you asking what school I attend? or where am I on the campus in that pic? or are you asking if I'm in school?

To the last, yes I am. To the first, UTK. To the second, I really wouldn't know how to describe the location.

There you go. Excellent!

Thanks, I'm very happy with it. 3.5'' in the front, 5'' in the back, and stays off my head somehow. These are my ideal measurements, too, as they are identical to the dimensions of many of the gus creased custom hats (such as Rand's) that I've been looking at for guidance :).

THAT looks SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER ! KEEP IT :) Fit's the brim, crown AND your face SO MUCH BETTER !!

Can't argue with that. Thank you :).

:arated:

Seems to fit your facial shape better...

That is what I was hoping to hear :). Thank you!

Last edited:

Neophyte

Was just wondering what school you attend. Sorry I wasn't clear. Just steer clear of UT orange and you'll be fine. What a hideous color.

We are in agreement, sir. In truth, I had been hoping to attend UGA. But back then, the reality of college hadn't hit me, and despite my excellent academic performance, I achieved a much lower score than I know I could have received on the ACT. [huh]

I will always prefer Georgia red to Tennessee orange. I don't know what they see in it :puke:.

BTW, fmw, what hat is that in your avatar?

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I like it!

Ok, that brim there puts anything Jimmy has to shame. I bet that looks fantastic with a big wool topcoat with the collar pulled up and scarf.:eusa_clap
You should post that one in the "What hat are you wearing today?" thread. Give 'em a run for their money.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Neophyte

That the Stetson you posted a few pages back? That is awesome. I like the tall crown.

If it were mine, I would chop the brim down to imitate River Junction's Alaskan. But that's just the peer pressure talking :D.

Ok, that brim there puts anything Jimmy has to shame. I bet that looks fantastic with a big wool topcoat with the collar pulled up and scarf.:eusa_clap
You should post that one in the "What hat are you wearing today?" thread. Give 'em a run for their money.;)

:arated:

Neophyte

While you are in school, Neo, where the heck do you store all your fedoras? Or do you live at home while matriculating?

My Campdraft lies atop the mini-fridge (within a plastic bag to deter moths). My other hats reside in boxes in a large storage compartment above the closet. My western can be hung just about anywhere due to the stampede strings. I only brought my two Buckaroo hats, my Hat People cap, and both my Campdrafts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82