Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stopped by the shop today to check on the progress of my '61 Chevy Bel Air restoration project. They have all the chrome and moldings, lights, trim, etc. off and are reviewing just exactly what will need replacing due to rust issues. We talked specifically about the bumpers today. The front and rear bumpers are in excellent shape (no dints), but do have some very minor rust here and there. Not enough to really worry about, but if I'm going to the trouble and expense to do a restoration, having them re-chromed sounds like the way to go. We decided that, while they look ok right now, once the new paint and everything else is there, they will stick out like a sore thumb. Kind of like wearing a new suit with a old ratty tie and worn out shoes.

I still think we can come in very close to the price we originally talked about, but I can see myself easily falling into the mindset of "I've spent this much, what's a couple hundred more to do a little extra." The folks I'm working with are very good. They will make a detailed list of what they think we need to do and then get me to review what the plans are prior to moving forward. That way there are no "surprises". Also, they are willing to work with me to restore the car to any degree I want, from just "stabilizing" the car from further rust damage, to "making it look nice", to "making it look really great", to a total restoration - or anywhere in between. I'm really excited about this project, but hope I can keep myself from getting too carried away with things.

Like my dear old Daddy used to say, "It's just like the monkey that peed in the cash register drawer - this is going to run into money."

Stopped by the shop today to check on the progress of my '61 Chevy Bel Air restoration project. They have all the chrome and moldings, lights, trim, etc. off and are reviewing just exactly what will need replacing due to rust issues. We talked specifically about the bumpers today. The front and rear bumpers are in excellent shape (no dints), but do have some very minor rust here and there. Not enough to really worry about, but if I'm going to the trouble and expense to do a restoration, having them re-chromed sounds like the way to go. We decided that, while they look ok right now, once the new paint and everything else is there, they will stick out like a sore thumb. Kind of like wearing a new suit with a old ratty tie and worn out shoes.

I still think we can come in very close to the price we originally talked about, but I can see myself easily falling into the mindset of "I've spent this much, what's a couple hundred more to do a little extra." The folks I'm working with are very good. They will make a detailed list of what they think we need to do and then get me to review what the plans are prior to moving forward. That way there are no "surprises". Also, they are willing to work with me to restore the car to any degree I want, from just "stabilizing" the car from further rust damage, to "making it look nice", to "making it look really great", to a total restoration - or anywhere in between. I'm really excited about this project, but hope I can keep myself from getting too carried away with things.

Like my dear old Daddy used to say, "It's just like the monkey that peed in the cash register drawer - this is going to run into money."

I am glad the project is moving forward. Good to hear. I hope it doesn't cost too much. :D

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Better price rechromed bumpers before you make up your mind. You should also know that the chrome you get these days is often inferior to what they did in Detroit in 1961.

Try cleaning them with copper scrubbing pads (not steel wool, it scratches no matter how fine) and Pledge furniture polish to remove rust. Then polish with Simichrome, Flitz, Solvol Autosol or your favorite quality chrome polish. Finish with 3 or 4 coats of car wax. I expect you will find they look fine, especially after you price new ones.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
The bumpers on my Model A ran around $600 to re-chrome. another alternative is to buy replacements and keep the originals for later re-chroming when money become available.

Mike

Big Man

I thought this might be interesting to folks here. This is the sales ticket for my Dad's '53 Olds Super 88. If I ever hit the lottery big, I'll use this to get one just like it.

Big Man

Your father traded in a 53 Olds 88 4 door plus $240 for an identical 53 Olds 88 four door? There must be a story behind it.

Yes, there was a story.

He bought the first '53 Olds in February, 1953. In early March, 1953, he was rear-ended on highway 70. He had the car repaired (new bumper, paint, etc.) and traded it for the second '53 Olds in April, 1953.

Yes, there was a story.

He bought the first '53 Olds in February, 1953. In early March, 1953, he was rear-ended on highway 70. He had the car repaired (new bumper, paint, etc.) and traded it for the second '53 Olds in April, 1953.

Isn't that always the way? Buy a new car and get in an accident. Drive a beater, and it will be damage free. [huh]

That baby had everything and the kitchen sink.

All the power goodies, all the deluxe add-ons, heck, I didn't even know Olds had the Autronic Eye in '53.

On the note of back-up lights, my 58 and 60 Chevy Sedans didn't have them, I think only the Impalas did.

QUOTE=Big Man;1791758]

I thought this might be interesting to folks here. This is the sales ticket for my Dad's '53 Olds Super 88. If I ever hit the lottery big, I'll use this to get one just like it.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe