Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Poor Jay. Losing his job to a hippie and buying chick cars now...what a shame. I miss Jay. :(

I suppose that this chain-drive monster is more up your alley, Mr. Powers.
[video=youtube;A3BJF7O5ikY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BJF7O5ikY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I like big machines, like the ALCO or the Garford, but the Beastioni is ridiculous.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I suppose that this chain-drive monster is more up your alley, Mr. Powers.
[video=youtube;A3BJF7O5ikY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BJF7O5ikY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I like big machines, like the ALCO or the Garford, but the Beastioni is ridiculous.

Now thats a cute little foreign car!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't had a chance to drive my old '48 Plymouth much this winter, but did take it out for a short run several weeks ago. I have a short loop of about four or five miles that goes up and down a couple big hills, so the old car gets a good work out. On the trip I took several weeks ago, after about four miles a "clanking" sound started from where I think must be the transmission. When I put the clutch in, the noise stops. Let the clutch out and it starts again. I limped it on home (fortunately I was less than a quarter mile from home).

I know the transmission leaks oil like a sieve (that's one thing on my to-do list). While the oil level has been low before, it's never made a sound like that. Still, I thought that since I hadn't driven it in some time, the oil must have been really low. Bad weather came, so I didn't do anything about it till today. I added gear oil up to the proper level, then took it out for a spin.

After about four miles, the same kind of noise started up again, although not quite as bad this time. What ever it is, it takes about four or five miles of running to start. Could it be the transmission? The clutch? Or something else? It shifts good and smooth and pulls just fine, even when "clanking."

Any thoughts?

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Big Man,

I you disengage the clutch and it stops my guess is the clutch. But not hearing the noise it makes it kinda hard. Is there a possibility of something in the bell housing that is getting knocked around?

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe