Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

transfats

Ben

One of the Regulars
For Fleur

I tried to send you a private message, but apparently I don't have access to that feature. So, I hope you don't mind my mentioning this in a public forum. But have you been tested for anemia and vitamin deficiencies.

Anemia can make you tired, and often vegan diets are low in iron. The other concern vegetarians have is B vitamins, which might also be a culprit.

Good luck with the meat eating.

GOK

One Too Many
Fleur, please don't compromise your principles - there is a way around this if you want to find it. B5 (pantothenic acid) is a good start. As Ben said, it may well be a lack of Bs and iron. Contrary to popular belief, spinach does not contain shed loads of iron. This misconception came about because someone quite literally put the decimal point in the wrong place by mistake. For generations, parents have force fed this most horrid of vegetables to their children....for nothing! Actually, I like raw baby spinach but it mings when it is cooked. Yuck.

Rather than clog up the thread (and give those barking carnivores ammo!!!!), why not email or PM me? If you want a chat, I'll give you my number. I really hate to think of you having such a dilemma. If you do end up eating meat, let's make sure it is for the right reasons and that it is actually something you want to do, not as a last ditch effort. Yes?

Big hugs, Sweetie.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Ben - I look forward to reading your posts.

Feraud

Bartender
I think the fact that Fleur is considering all her options with regards to her health is worth noting. It seems most people pick a side and stick with it, right or wrong. Rather than trying to keep her on one side or the other of the Meat vs. Vegetable battle, I applaud her considering all her options. If that means a vegetarian eating a bit of meat or a carnivore adding tofu or sprouts to their diet then go for it!
Who wants to be labeled a Carnivore or Vegetarian anyway?

GOK

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I think the fact that Fleur is considering all her options with regards to her health is worth noting. It seems most people pick a side and stick with it, right or wrong. Rather than trying to keep her on one side or the other of the Meat vs. Vegetable battle, I applaud her considering all her options. If that means a vegetarian eating a bit of meat or a carnivore adding tofu or sprouts to their diet then go for it!
Who wants to be labeled a Carnivore or Vegetarian anyway?

I agree, Feraud - so long as one doesn't feel it is compromising one's principles. I don't think there should be a meat v veg battle - we should do as our conscience dictates, which is why I would never bang on about the 'evils' of meat eating etc.

I don't have a problem with people's choices, as long as they are truly their own - what I do find difficulty with is people being coerced into things. And that works both ways. As far as I am concerned, I am completely comfortable not consuming animal products; I expect people to respect this, just as I respect their choice to eat what they want.

And I am with you all way regarding labels. Labels are for things, not people. :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thanks GOK, might just do that when I have a moment (just came in from work and flying out again after I've thrown the hoover round!)

I got some blood test results back yesterday, which is what triggered my saying I was giving up vegetarianism - iron and thyroid tests both normal. But the helpful lady on the phone asked me if I had had the coeliac test, which I didn't even think of and apparently you need to really push for. It's funny how you never put two and two together but when I eat bread for lunch I really struggle with my concentration and I feel like I'm pregnant with a wheat child so there could be something in that! So perhaps a gluten-free trial is the way to go.

Even as a meat eater in my younger days I couldn't stomach anything on the bone, or with fat, or even big chunks of the stuff. I am totally an instinctive veggie, but if my health is at stake (I just wrote it as "steak", freudian?? lol) I am willing to try.

But GOK I will PM you tomorrow I think, hopefully you'll be about. Thanks for the support and input guys!

Salv

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I am leaving my job opposite Bodeans at the end of next week...no more working in a bacon scented office for me!

Oh yes, you said you were leaving on the London Christmas drinks thread. If you're still not sure what to do about your diet it's probably best that at least one temptation will be gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley