Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

transfats

Feraud

Bartender
GOK said:
Wow I still find it sooooo odd that over there you are so careful about carbs. What do you do about pasta, rice, potatoes, bread? Over here, we're paranoid about fat. In fact something I noticed was that in LA, the Subway wrappings advertised the low-carb options whilst our ones show low-fat ones!

I think a healthy balance between the two is the best idea. I'm not going to mention the half a dozen cookies I just ate!
I do not do anything with the pasta, rice, potatoes and bread! I might have a bite but that is all. I cut out all that stuff approximately three months ago.

GOK

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I do not do anything with the pasta, rice, potatoes and bread! I might have a bite but that is all. I cut out all that stuff approximately three months ago.

Noooo...I cannot imagine a pasta-free life. What do you have instead of carbs then? Or do you just have very little?

I'm curious, the body needs a balance of carbs in order to burn fat and vice versa - if you cut out fat completely it can be damaging, so surely the same is true of carbs? I remember reading something ages ago about how unhealthy the Atkins diet is and that it can actually harm you; I was quite horrified. But I've known people who've been on it and swear it's a good thing. Any thoughts?

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks scotrace!!

GOK said:
Noooo...I cannot imagine a pasta-free life. What do you have instead of carbs then? Or do you just have very little?

I'm curious, the body needs a balance of carbs in order to burn fat and vice versa - if you cut out fat completely it can be damaging, so surely the same is true of carbs? I remember reading something ages ago about how unhealthy the Atkins diet is and that it can actually harm you; I was quite horrified. But I've known people who've been on it and swear it's a good thing. Any thoughts?
I do not think many people live without any carbs or fat in their diet for very long. That is certainly not a healthy way to be. The initial phase of the Atkins diet is strict. It is also a temporary phase to be moved beyond. When people talk about the diet they focus on that narrow two week period where you do not have any carb or sugar. As time passes you add a certain amount of carb to your diet. My wife swears it works better for men than women. She was surprised when I said I was going to lose a certain amount of weight for the QM and did!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Think about our species' natural diet. Pre-tools. What did we evolve to eat?
Fatty meats, but we were probably mainly scavengers (having no natural ability to kill prey). That means that the biggest meat part of the diet was leftovers from other carnivores -- more than likely marrow.
Along with this, lots of leaves, some roots when found. And the occasional sweet fruit as a treat. Agriculturally raised and cooked grains came later, and are a dietary adaptation.
A carbless diet forces your body to shift from using carbs and sugars as fuel to using available fats as fuel. So your body begins burning the accumulated fat stores, including those in the blood. People I know who have been on low carb diets long term have very low cholestorol levels even though they often eat hamburger and somewhat fatty meats.
I eat a few carbs because I want them. But they fall into the treat category. A really perfect loaf with soup at a dynamite bakery. A pita with greek dip. And I am a lifelong breakfast ceareal addict so those occasionally. Porridge on weekends.

Like 'at!

GOK

One Too Many
Feraud said:
My wife swears it works better for men than women. She was surprised when I said I was going to lose a certain amount of weight for the QM and did!

Funny you should say that because the people I mentioned before were all men!

Scott - porridge? Ewwwwww! :confused:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Thanks scotrace!!

I do not think many people live without any carbs or fat in their diet for very long. That is certainly not a healthy way to be. The initial phase of the Atkins diet is strict. It is also a temporary phase to be moved beyond. When people talk about the diet they focus on that narrow two week period where you do not have any carb or sugar. As time passes you add a certain amount of carb to your diet. My wife swears it works better for men than women. She was surprised when I said I was going to lose a certain amount of weight for the QM and did!

And you looked great!

I like going low carb too. I jsut wont avoid what I think are really good carbs, like fresh Fruit or oatmeal for breakfast.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Give me Carbs, or give me death!

Well, maybe not death, but I certainly could not go without pasta or potatoes or bread. I love them all too much!

GOK

One Too Many
MrBern said:
Well , you're a vegan, so youre already on the no meat diet. Theres only so mucha person can be denied & still maintain a healthy balance.

Agreed. Denial's for wimps anyway! lol

Kim_B said:
Well, maybe not death, but I certainly could not go without pasta or potatoes or bread. I love them all too much!

So speaketh the voice of reason! There is nothing like a large plate of fettucini, tossed in some excellent olive oil and freshly ground black pepper, served with fresh avocado and a crisp green salad. Heaven! :D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Think about our species' natural diet. Pre-tools. What did we evolve to eat?
Fatty meats, but we were probably mainly scavengers (having no natural ability to kill prey). That means that the biggest meat part of the diet was leftovers from other carnivores -- more than likely marrow.
Along with this, lots of leaves, some roots when found. And the occasional sweet fruit as a treat. Agriculturally raised and cooked grains came later, and are a dietary adaptation.
Yep, that's basically what we are designed to eat. When people such as the Egyptians settled down in cities and started to consume grains as the main part of their diet, they soon developed obesity, tooth decay, and adult onset diabetes. The hunter/gatherers just prior to this time did not show evidence of these maladies.
Also, indigenous peoples such as the Inuit consume a diet loaded with meat and fat, and suffer no ill effects from it.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Yep, that's basically what we are designed to eat. When people such as the Egyptians settled down in cities and started to consume grains as the main part of their diet, they soon developed obesity, tooth decay, and adult onset diabetes. The hunter/gatherers just prior to this time did not show evidence of these maladies.
Also, indigenous peoples such as the Inuit consume a diet loaded with meat and fat, and suffer no ill effects from it.

Meat---Its what's for dinner and breakfast and lunch. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Jay

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I am on the Carnivore diet. IT has to be able to run away to be worth eating. :p

Regards,

J
And if you chase it first you're burning off some calories right there!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have always been very interested in diets and follow the transfats and HFCS news closely. I try to avoid both in my quest to be healthy. But whatever I do, I generally feel rubbish all the time.

I am actually in the process of changing my diet after being a vegetarian for 4 years. I am utterly sick and tired of feeling so sick and tired all the time! I can't remember the last time I felt full of beans, but I believe that before I was veggie I *may* have felt better. My mother has been trying to get me to eat meat ever since I gave it up with the "Some blood types need to eat meat, perhaps you're one of those" argument and I have deflected her ever since. But after speaking to some formerly vegan friends of mine last weekend, one of which was vegan for about 8 years, the other about 4; they both told me how much more energetic they have been since they gave it up and started eating meat again. [huh] There's me thinking that people like GOK have it right. I admire very much the people who are vegan for ethical reasons and wish I could be the same.

I still feel, as my ex-vegan friends do, like a sellout eating meat. I don't agree with it. Indeed the thought of eating it is extremely offputting to me. But I have tried everything from eating only wholefoods, to cutting out dairy, to cutting out soya, to giving up and eating lots of unhealthy cakes and sweets and nothing makes any difference. The only thing I haven't tried is eating meat. Oh and cutting out gluten for a decent amount of time (another pasta and bread addict here!). So I am going to try both and see if it makes any difference. I just can't go on not having an ounce of energy or concentration any more. Of course it could just be that I don't get enough sleep. But I seem to feel the same whether I have 6,7,8 or 9 hours. I wish we could return to the diets of the past, when nothing had artificial anything in and the soil actually had any nutrients left so your meat and veg did you more good than it does now.

Salv

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

I still feel, as my ex-vegan friends do, like a sellout eating meat. I don't agree with it. Indeed the thought of eating it is extremely offputting to me.

Bodean's is calling you - get yourself a pulled pork sandwich and savour the flavour :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley