Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

transfats

GOK

One Too Many
I agree that it seems that we are always being told what we can't do and I do agree that people should have the right to choose but the fact is that they generally choose to do things that either harm themselves or others. Sometimes both.

Take smoking. If people want to smoke, fine, it's up to them. But what about people like me and thousands of others that don't want to breathe in someone else's smoke? Or have our hair and clothes smelling of it? Or be breathed on by someone that smells like an old ashtray, when they talk to me? And what about children? Surely they have a right not to have to put up with these things? And not risk getting burned in the street by someone walking along with a lit cigarette? I try and avoid places where people smoke but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Then there's driving. Can anyone deny that if people are not told they cannot drive above a certain speed, there will be those that will zoom along, endangering themselves and others?

I see the transfat issue as just another example of the powers that be attempting to lessen the risks that people take with their lives. Sure you can go to a shop and buy all these 'bad' things but by ensuring that restaurants and fast food outlets etc. don't serve them anymore, I'd say a significant number of people will be better off, health-wise. And your healthcare system will probably (eventually) reap the benefits too.

As an aside - cookies; I don't use any of those fats and my cookies rock! :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MrBern said:
and thats not even counting all the tasty stuff that now contains High fructose corn syrup instead of plain old sugar....
Ha! Remember the New Coke recipe flap of the mid 80's? The silly thing is that Coca Cola had substituted corn syrup for sugar years before.[huh]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Finally!

I'm glad this action was taken and I hope it reaches the national level. You can say it's a person's "right" to ingest this junk, and it is as has been pointed out by Mr. Bern. People can still buy and use all the artificial trans fats they want. Now we truly do have a choice, whereas before, the stuff was just added to foods whether we wanted it or not.
The human body does require a certain amount of what are known as essential fatty acids. When trans fats are ingested, they do not satisfy the body's requirements for these essential nutrients, hence, a person will continue to eat in order to satisfy the body's need for them. Leading to the host of health problems that we are plagued with today. :(

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
GOK said:
I agree that it seems that we are always being told what we can't do and I do agree that people should have the right to choose but the fact is that they generally choose to do things that either harm themselves or others. Sometimes both.

Take smoking. If people want to smoke, fine, it's up to them. But what about people like me and thousands of others that don't want to breathe in someone else's smoke? Or have our hair and clothes smelling of it? Or be breathed on by someone that smells like an old ashtray, when they talk to me? And what about children? Surely they have a right not to have to put up with these things? And not risk getting burned in the street by someone walking along with a lit cigarette? I try and avoid places where people smoke but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Then there's driving. Can anyone deny that if people are not told they cannot drive above a certain speed, there will be those that will zoom along, endangering themselves and others?

I see the transfat issue as just another example of the powers that be attempting to lessen the risks that people take with their lives. Sure you can go to a shop and buy all these 'bad' things but by ensuring that restaurants and fast food outlets etc. don't serve them anymore, I'd say a significant number of people will be better off, health-wise. And your healthcare system will probably (eventually) reap the benefits too.

As an aside - cookies; I don't use any of those fats and my cookies rock! :D

The state of Ohio, in which I reside, just passed a resolution which bans smoking in virtually all public buildings including bars. Needless to say, the smokers are flamed :rage:
But I think it's about time they did away with that awful weed. 400 and some years of noisome fumes from tobacco is quite enough. I hope that smoking eventually just disappears.
Curse Sir Walter Raleigh,...he was such a stupid git! lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maj.Nick Danger said:
When trans fats are ingested, they do not satisfy the body's requirements for these essential nutrients, hence, a person will continue to eat in order to satisfy the body's need for them.
That explains why the French and Italians, who eat gobs of butter and drink olive oil, didn't start becoming obese until McDonald's opened shop.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
That explains why the French and Italians, who eat gobs of butter and drink olive oil, didn't start becoming obese until McDonald's opened shop.

Exactly. It is I think, a common misconception that the ingestion of natural fats found in foods, causes weight gain. But this is of course not the case. The body will just expel what it does not use, and people will naturally not over-consume these foods.
Only a person suffering from a severe eating disorder would sit and drink an entire bottle of olive oil, or consume a pound of butter.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Exactly. It is I think, a common misconception that the ingestion of natural fats found in foods, causes weight gain. But this is of course not the case. The body will just expel what it does not use, and people will naturally not over-consume these foods.
Only a person suffering from a severe eating disorder would sit and drink an entire bottle of olive oil, or consume a pound of butter.

I find thats th problem w/ High Fructose Corn syrup.
When sodas contained regular cane sugar, people were refreshed or got nauseated from drinking too much.
Now you could drink a liter of cola & still drink more.

GOK

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:

Oh dear gods, I feel ill now :(

I think it's worth pointing out that certainly for Italians (I can't speak for the French), yes we may use quite a lot of olive oil (not so much butter - only certain parts of Italia use it) but our diet in general is much, much healthier. Pasta, polenta, grains, fresh veggies and fruit all play a huge part in our diet. But it's not just that. It's the attitude too. We see food as something to be celebrated, to be shared - every meal should be an occasion. We don't believe in wolfing down something that's been flipped on a griddle for five minutes.

Of course, not everyone has the time or the inclination to spend hours in the kitchen three or four times a day but even so, there is no excuse for not eating healthily. I can whip up a wonderful meal in less than half an hour.

I'd never go to a fast food place.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
I find thats th problem w/ High Fructose Corn syrup.
When sodas contained regular cane sugar, people were refreshed or got nauseated from drinking too much.
Now you could drink a liter of cola & still drink more.

Yeah, the sugar is not of the proper molecular structure maybe? This bears further investigation through Google.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Yeah, the sugar is not of the proper molecular structure maybe? This bears further investigation through Google.

read it & weep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hfcs

You know, recently 7Up tried an ad campaign callin itself all natural.
BUT it still contains HFcs.

There are some sodas that stuck to cane sugar. I've heard that DrPepper might still be available in cane sugar version from some distributors.

But hfcs is EVERYWHERE....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maj.Nick Danger said:
This bears further investigation through Google.
:eek:fftopic: I've learned more in my last three years at the University of Google, than I did in my prior twenty years of formal education.[huh]

GOK

One Too Many
Thing is, before transfats were invented, people did fine. There were still plenty of yummy and healthy foods around, so I don't really see why they are needed except for reasons of turning a profit. Or am I oversimplifying things?

I'd love to see a return to 'proper' food. As I've said before, one doesn't have to spend hours in the kitchen to cook up healthy and delicious food (gosh, who these days has the time?). And people are obviously interested in decent food because if not, the TV chef industry wouldn't be so huge. Over here, TV chefs are raised to almost godlike status sometimes!

When I rule the world (heheh) there will be no fast food outlets unless they serve real food. So there! lol

But seriously folks, What in the world are we doing to our children? They are supposed to be our future - are we not doing them a huge disservice by pumping them full of e-numbers, hormones, anti-biotics and synthetic foods?

Y'know once, I took a group of children to a city farm. One little boy (aged 12) was shocked to discover that milk came from cows. I kid you not. Some children have no idea where their food comes from and the fact that half the time what they eat bears little or no resemblance to the animal or vegetable it is alleged to be from doesn't help either.

Rant, rant, rant.....:mad:

Feraud

Bartender
ideaguy said:
...And who is the proud pappy of this new law? none other than Michael Bloomberg, the resident genius at Gracie Manse....'nuff said.
Sometimes we have to grudingly give people we do not like credit.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Feraud, I have discovered a 3g net carb per tortilla at the local grocery.

Tastes very much like typing paper. But it addresses the occasional reptilian brain shout for bread!

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Feraud, I have discovered a 3g net carb per tortilla at the local grocery.

Tastes very much like typing paper. But it addresses the occasional reptilian brain shout for bread!
Really! Would you care to share the brand? I have not had a tortilla in too long! I am seriously overdue to satisfy that reptilian urge. :D

GOK

One Too Many
Wow I still find it sooooo odd that over there you are so careful about carbs. What do you do about pasta, rice, potatoes, bread? Over here, we're paranoid about fat. In fact something I noticed was that in LA, the Subway wrappings advertised the low-carb options whilst our ones show low-fat ones!

I think a healthy balance between the two is the best idea. I'm not going to mention the half a dozen cookies I just ate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley