Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DeNiro against transfats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baggers

Practically Family
Feraud, generally, yes, your comments are true. We are a fat and lazy nation. Although I must admit that I find the statement about obesity and cancer levels being at "unacceptable" levels amusing. What would be an "acceptable" level, in your opinion? ;)

No, it's my thinking that we have more than enough education being thrust at us by both government and nongovernmental agencies for everyone to make informed decisions for themselves.

Frankly, I don't buy the argument that people are either too poor or too busy to eat anything but junk. If someone has a refrigerator in which they can stash their 24 pack of beer or soda and can also afford to eat at Micky D's at least three times a week, they can put some fresh fruit, cheese, and a carton of (lowfat) milk in there too. Add a package of lunch meat a loaf of bread and a box of raisin bran, and you have the minimum necessary to keep away from fast food for a week or more. And that's just the adults. Their children are already getting a free lunch and breakfast courtesy of you and me at school. If people are unwilling to take advantage of the information and programs already available, they're on they're own.

And to bring this back to the topic, where is Mr. DeNiro's restaurant located and what's the average price of an entree? If he really wants to do something to change the way people eat, why doesn't he open a chain of restaurants that offer his non transfat recipes at prices that would directly compete with the current popular range of fast food options? Because he'd rather force a law through that would make everyone else conform to his way of thinking instead of risking his own capital to test the concept in the open market.

I think we've compromised enough. It's time to say NO to this nonsense. Stop blaming everyone else for your own failings and take some personal responsibilty for your actions!

Cheers!

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
I suspect that's a bit of a stretch.

bk
The point I am trying to make is that you can't have some legistion telling you what you can do to your body and at the same time have legislation saying that what you do to your body cant be legislated. Even though i do not partake in any recreational drugs, i think they should be legalized since i feel the government should have no say in what an individual choses to do to themselves.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Nahhh, a stretch about the same people backing each cause. I suspect it's a little more complicated.

bk

p.s. i agree with you.

Naw. its a big giant conspiacy of the same people all in cahoots trying to tell me what to do................guess I better take my paranoind schezophrinic meds again!

Feraud

Bartender
I think most of us agree with more than we disagree! I do not like to argue the semantics of specific phrases because it leads us away from the big picture. This is exactly why many threads degenerate into 5-10 pages of debating the minutia of each others sentences.

I believe we have rights as individuals and should enjoy them. I am also a big supporter of the "the many" as opposed to the individual. One thing I see everyday is how we individuals have very little respect for the "bigger picture" of our lives. The picture can be a country (outsourcing jobs), a neighborhood (those drug dealers on the corner are not my problem), or a family (I have a right to smoke, drink, and eat fried chicken: spouse and children be damned!).

We are fighting amongst ourselves when we should be together against corporations that want to raise their profit levels by giving us more nicotine in our cigarettes, partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose sweetners, etc.

Legislation should be our tool to protect ourselves from predatory companies not to curb our freedoms.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
What’s the big deal? It’s not good for you. Would you really miss it if they did ban it?

At home does your spouse say, “Honey, I’m fixing dinner and we’re all out of transfats, can you run to the store and pick some up? Better make it the big tub.” No, of course not. So why allow corporations to stuff it into everything they sell you.

This is the way of policing the corporations. Legislation may be passed by the government, but it’s initiated by an individual or small group of citizens, and it’s not always bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley