Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

T Rick

Practically Family
Might I apply to be a Guild Member? My first Open Road arrived today. It must've been in a hurry to get here, as I just bought it on eBay two days ago (auction link here). Arrived from Iowa to my home near Detroit in under 48 hours from auction close! Got what I believe to be a very fair deal at $40 BIN plus $8.95 shipping, Priority Mail.

The Seller wasn't sure about it's age (I can tell it's newer, I am just not sure how new). It was his late Father In Law's, given to him by his Mother In Law. But it turned out to be too large for him, so he put it on eBay. I'll of course get some pics going, but for now I am too thrilled wearing it (in the house! Shh, don't tell, I'm home alone :D). As you can see, it came with the Cattleman's bash. I've turned the front brim down, and rather like it as is. I'll leave it like this at least for now. My Campdraft should be here in a day or two so I'll get to try bashing that, and I'll probably end up with another genuine Open Road or three eventually.

The condition of this one is excellent. Not a mark or bite on it, no stains etc. Came with no hat box, but appears to have rarely been worn, and stored somewhere clean. If you can help me get a handle on it's decade or so of manufacture, I'd appreciate it. Of course pics will be helpful there (forthcoming!), but things that may help for now:

Rather stiff crown, though I was easily able to push out one of the side creases, and feel with a bit of steam and some work I could probably get it smooth. Stetson XXX inside band at front. Round Stetson log on left side of band. Rectangular 7 1/8 tag at rear, made in USA above that (no metric number, gold on front, white with union label on back). Smooth white satin like liner (no diamond pattern), no plastic. Tag on left protruding above sweat with ink stamped (typewriter like) "F1050 Open Road" on first line over style name, "Silver Belly" on second, third line stamped 234 over Brim, and 017127 over ticket number, with hand written 7EØ+ over item number (actually the Ø has the line through more vertically aligned) between them. Stetson hat pin (metal, bronze color) on left, and feather as shown (did these commonly come with feathers? I don't recall seeing any pics so far of any OR's with feathers). No wind trolley or any indication there ever was one. Thin ribbon is tacked on about every 4 inches.

I'm in the process of reading through the entire Guild thread, but it takes time (I've read maybe the last 15 pages and have read the first 20, now I just need to fill in the middle 120 or so :eusa_doh:). I'll get some pics up ASAP, but in the mean time, does anything I've given in the description put us in a ballpark? TIA!

Last edited:
Might I apply to be a Guild Member? ..... If you can help me get a handle on it's decade or so of manufacture, I'd appreciate it. ..., and feather as shown (did these commonly come with feathers? I don't recall seeing any pics so far of any OR's with feathers). No wind trolley or any indication there ever was one.... I'll get some pics up ASAP, but in the mean time, does anything I've given in the description put us in a ballpark? TIA!

Could be late 1960's or 1970's. Most of us remove the feathers, if they come on the ones we buy. No wind trolley was on that year model most likely. Welcome to the Guild....

T Rick

Practically Family
Could be late 1960's or 1970's. Most of us remove the feathers, if they come on the ones we buy. No wind trolley was on that year model most likely. Welcome to the Guild....
Really? I was thinking much newer due to the stiffness of the crown (then again, not having handled them before, my expectations were purely based on what I've read). If that's the case, I did better than I'd thought (the hat is really in like new condition). Which features put it in that range? (I am guessing the size tag and union label, I know older hats had a round tag, and am pretty sure newer ones include a metric number as well, is this correct?).

Thanks for the response, I'll get some pictures tonight, and get through another 20/30 pages of this thread to see what I can pick up. Any other threads I need to read on dating a Stetson (I've seen, but not yet read the thread on dating them by the lining- that is one I need to read right away).

P.S. Thanks for the Welcome! I think I'm going to be a big fan of the Open Road.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I'm going to be a big fan of the Open Road.

I don't know exactly what your Open Road looks like--I have a vintage one with a tall crown, not a stiff hat, and a more modern one, probably like what they sell now, came with cattleman's crease, all stiff, and looked like new. Whichever your model, you're bound to love it. Stetson does a good job on making a "real man's hat" and it's a cool look. You can wear them year round.

Really? I was thinking much newer due to the stiffness of the crown (then again, not having handled them before, my expectations were purely based on what I've read). If that's the case, I did better than I'd thought (the hat is really in like new condition). Which features put it in that range? (I am guessing the size tag and union label, I know older hats had a round tag, and am pretty sure newer ones include a metric number as well, is this correct?).

Thanks for the response, I'll get some pictures tonight, and get through another 20/30 pages of this thread to see what I can pick up. Any other threads I need to read on dating a Stetson (I've seen, but not yet read the thread on dating them by the lining- that is one I need to read right away).

P.S. Thanks for the Welcome! I think I'm going to be a big fan of the Open Road.

Pictures will help & yes newer size tags have metric & US sizes. You really need to show the sweatband & the liner to get a close date range in but you're still going to be in mult-year spans which could go over decades.
There are threads dealing with dating the Stetson by the liner & by the tag & by the sweatband...mostly for real vintage ones.

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks again guys! I've now been through the thread "Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide". Not much closer, as gtdean48 says, they cover more the older versions. Still, to add to that thread, I'll post my pics there, can't help but increase the knowledge base a bit.

But since I started here. I've got to show at least some of the pics! Here's the new beauty, and danofarlington, you're quite right, in fact I'm quite taken with this great hat already!

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I'll post more detail shots in the liner thread linked above. My post should be number 169 over there. Thanks again for the replies, looking forward to wearing this one, and picking up a few more!

DougC

Practically Family
Picked up a beaten and dirty vintage OR two weeks ago and dropped it off at my local hatter. They are cleaning, reblocking, and resizing it to a 7 (was a 7 1/8), replacing the sweat band, binding and ribbon. Went by to visit today and they have the new ribbon on and kept the wind cord (with a stain!). It should be ready after Christmas. I asked to keep the crown open so I could play with it little. I'll try to post pics when I get it back.

fmw

One Too Many
I may be the only one in the forum but I have no interest at all in buying old used hats. However, I did order a brand spankin' new Silverbelly Open Road from Delmonico today. Should be here right after Christmas.

fmw

One Too Many
You're certainly welcome. There are no hatters within 100 miles of me so I shop online wherever. They had a $20 off coupon. Seem like nice folks.

fmw

One Too Many
I wouldn't have a problem with new old stock at all. That would be fine. I just don't like the concept of used apparel for me personally. It's fine for others. Hats are an item of apparel for me. They aren't really a hobby as they are for many around here. I like to wear them and I like to know about them. I'm not likely to become a collector of them although my wife thinks I am already.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Donny, do you have the photo hosted somewhere? If you don't have your own server space you could get an account of Flickr, it's a free photo hosting service. But if you were trying to just post the photo from your desktop or iphone, that will not work here.

Donny2guns

Familiar Face
Donny, do you have the photo hosted somewhere? If you don't have your own server space you could get an account of Flickr, it's a free photo hosting service. But if you were trying to just post the photo from your desktop or iphone, that will not work here.

Yeah I tried using photobucket but with my iphone, didnt go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82