Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Chinaski

One Too Many
There's no tags inside the sweat. There is a blurry purple stamp that looks like it may be the John B. Stetson logo (really too blurry to tell) and also stamped in black is the number 405656.

Any other thoughts on dating and identifying this lid?

HDRnR

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
It is an OR style but there are Stetsons that are of the style but do not say Open Road anywhere. Did you look behind the sweatband for any tags? I had a more modern one that had OPRD on a tag.
That looks like the reminants of a lapel cord.
I have a Stetson 25 that looks exactly like my Open Road, wind trolley & all, but does not say Open Road anywhere & therefore I cannot claim it as an Open Road.
Earlier on in this thread, I read "If it doesn't say Open Road, then it is not an Open Road".

I have some Royals that look like OR's and Strats that just say Royal also, great hats and I've gotten great deals on them because people search for "Open Roads" and " Stratoliners".

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This just in...

This OR arrived this week. It is a beautiful shade of gray, and is in pristine condition. Judging from the liner, which still has the oil silk protector intact, I would think that this lid dates to the late 40's or very early 50's. A word about the felt... Although this is just Royal Stetson quality, the felt on this lid is superb, and very reminiscent of a Borso. I have a Royal Stetson Stratoliner from this same time period with the same felt characteristics. Perhaps not quite as thin and lightweight as a Borso, but very similar in terms of softness, smoothness and feel. Just goes to show that particular manufacturer quality designations aren't the final word on the actual quality of any particular vintage lid. The brim on this one is 2 7/8".

OpenCrown-23.jpg

Liner-22.jpg

GrayOR1.jpg

GrayOR2.jpg

GrayOR3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice. :eusa_clap
My vita-felt thin ribbon has the same Borso feel you've described - not quite as thin and soft, but similar, and more substantial.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JTL, what a great find. I have several ORs but all are western crease; none with the open crown to form a different crease. I make do with my Camp Draft for a similar look but I will find a Stetson sometime.

BobC

Wow, Jim. Are you sleeping in gloves to keep those fingers warm? :D

That's another killer lid. Looks like it has quite a bit of blue in it? man, you've really hit the jackpot lately.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
My 1st Open Road - $12.50 Royal DeLuxe

Received and cleaned/re-blocked yesterday from an ebay seller. It came without a liner, and I had a Royal Stetson DeLuxe liner lying around. Any ideas as to hat age? ....or pics of the liner this hat would have originally had?

StetsORBefore.JPG

StetsORSideUB.JPG

StetsORFront2.JPG

StetsORSweat1.JPG

StetsORSize.JPG

StetsORLnr.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
RBH was probably the first to post this one. It doesn't specifically say Royal Deluxe OR, but that's probably what it's advertising. Others probably know how long the OPS was in effect. - forgot to add the date - 1951
stetson1951oradshowingwideribbonava.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
RBH was probably the first to post this one. It doesn't specifically say Royal Deluxe OR, but that's probably what it's advertising. Others probably know how long the OPS was in effect. - forgot to add the date - 1951

Thanks, Lefty!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Scott -- here is your liner:

Liner-23.jpg

Based on the following info, your lid would date to the early 50's:

Fedorista said:
O.P.S. = Office of Price Stabilization = Korean War vintage bueaucracy = 1950 - 1953

Administrative History

Established: In the Economic Stabilization Agency, by General Order No. 2, Economic Stabilization Administrator, January 24, 1951. Director of Price Stabilization appointed November 30, 1950, under provisions of EO 10161, September 9, 1950, pursuant to the Defense Production Act of 1950 (64 Stat. 798), September 8, 1950.

Functions: Obtained voluntary compliance with measures to stabilize prices. Established and administered price regulations. Operated through 14 regional and about 90 district offices in principal cities of the United States and its territories and possessions, assisted by industry advisory committees.

Abolished: April 30, 1953, pursuant to EO 10434, February 6, 1953, following the decontrol of all prices and the expiration of price control provisions of the Defense Production Act. Liquidation activities terminated, June 30, 1953, and residual functions reverted to the Economic Stabilization Agency.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Scott -- here is your liner:

Liner-23.jpg

Based on the following info, your lid would date to the early 50's:

Cheers,
JtL

Ahhh!!! When I saw 'OPS' in Lefty's reply, I had no idea what he meant - didn't think to look at the price-tag :eusa_doh: Thanks!

Thanks for that liner image, also - I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Justdog

Practically Family

CRH

Call Me a Cab
A rose by another name

gtdean48 said:
It is an OR style but there are Stetsons that are of the style but do not say Open Road anywhere. Did you look behind the sweatband for any tags? I had a more modern one that had OPRD on a tag.
That looks like the reminants of a lapel cord.
I have a Stetson 25 that looks exactly like my Open Road, wind trolley & all, but does not say Open Road anywhere & therefore I cannot claim it as an Open Road.
Earlier on in this thread, I read "If it doesn't say Open Road, then it is not an Open Road".

My Grandmother used to say that just because it's worth a nickel doesn't mean it's a real nickel. She always said that real nickels wore Indians and Buffaloes ;).

Mr. Paladin

YEEE HAW! I have finally captured the elusive Open Road fedora style, with the OR embossed on the sweatband. May I now be an official memeber of this Guild? I havbe three other ORs but none with the stamp.

ORandAdam008.jpg

ORandAdam009.jpg

ORandAdam010.jpg

ORandAdam011.jpg

ORandAdam013.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin said:
YEEE HAW! I have finally captured the elusive Open Road fedora style, with the OR embossed on the sweatband. May I now be an official memeber of this Guild? I havbe three other ORs but none with the stamp.

ORandAdam008.jpg

3x Beaver nice hat great shape. :eusa_clap

Yhat

New in Town
New Old Open Road

I just landed my first Open Road, and of my Stetson Playboy, Range, and Stratoliner, this baby is in a class by itself (though all the others are too). One problem. It's offwhite and has a slight circle of stain through the felt, just above the sweat band. Any advice on cleaning that. I've hit it with Scout felt cleaner to no avail. I'd love to treat it myself, for that's part of my joy in vintage hat ownership. Do I need to soak it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123