Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Snagged another OR just now. This one appears to be of about the same vintage as my last purchase---maybe a tad later. A look inside the hat reveals a black sweatband, a white bow and a black tag. I'm guessing its from the seventies or eighties. Might be a good one to rebash as a fedora. Can't wait to see what shows up this time.

244988957_tp.jpg

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
St.Ignatz said:
Was that you bidding on the other OR also? I figured there was someone lurking about. You don't often see two come up in our size at the same time. Congrats.

Thank you, Sir.

No, I looked at the other OR but didn't bid. Truthfully, a few dollars higher and I'd have been out of the running for this hat. I had to think long and hard before I set my snipe where I did. But I figured since a new OR is still one-sixty or so, I would go for it.

I love Open Roads, but I think that this one may be the last that I buy for a while. Well...unless a nice 7 5/8 Stratoliner becomes available. ;)

AF

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
That was my thinking also , just paid a buck something for a new pork pie. Had bids on both and for a while I was afraid I might win the both. When you took the first I committed a little more for the second. Now for the real fun....The Bash.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Snagged another OR just now. This one appears to be of about the same vintage as my last purchase---maybe a tad later. A look inside the hat reveals a black sweatband, a white bow and a black tag. I'm guessing its from the seventies or eighties. Might be a good one to rebash as a fedora. Can't wait to see what shows up this time.

244988957_tp.jpg

AF

:eusa_clap

Congratulations with the hat! You sniped me.. This one on offer was going to be my very first Stetson hat.. I'm a hat newbie and really liked this one, not sure if it was worth the 115 bucks I offered.. now I know.. ah well, I just have to wait for the Akubra Federation IV I ordered at HatsDirect..

Enjoy the hat!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
:eusa_clap

Congratulations with the hat! You sniped me.. This one on offer was going to be my very first Stetson hat.. I'm a hat newbie and really liked this one, not sure if it was worth the 115 bucks I offered.. now I know.. ah well, I just have to wait for the Akubra Federation IV I ordered at HatsDirect..

Enjoy the hat!

Actully, it may be too small for me. Generally, I like to buy 7 3/4 in vintage hats; 7 5/8 in new ones. If it is small, I'll offer it for sale here on FL for exactly what I just paid. So stay tuned!

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Okee-Dokee, I’m finally ready to submit my application to become a certified member of the Open Road Guild. Over the years, I have purchased six Open Road-like hats, but not a one of them has had “Open Road” printed in the sweatband. Because of this, I have always felt that I was only an adjunct member of the Guild. Well, I just received my seventh Open Road and it has the mark. It has “The Open Road” printed in gold lettering in the front of the sweat. I’m so darned happy I’ll probably wear my new hat to bed. :)

The hat is in good shape and fits fairly well, but I will need to steam it into a long oval as it pinches my forehead a bit. That shouldn’t be a problem. There is enough room between the sweatband and the sides of my noggin that I can stick two of my size twelve fingers in the space.

So if I post pictures of me wearing my real Open Road, can I be admitted as a full-fledged, card-carrying member of the Guild?

AF

buler

I'll Lock Up
Penneys Marathon

Just picked this up tonight. A deep black (hard to photograph) Penney's Marathon Supreme Quality, size 7 1/4. In excellent, almost unworn condition. Don't seem to see too many black OR-style hats.

B

3407727353_414513bbd0_o.jpg

3407727247_d36ac74c2a_o.jpg

3408534292_7e81e67618_o.jpg

3407726981_22cc375375_o.jpg

3408557556_78d2c5a3b1_o.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
Thank you, Sir.

No, I looked at the other OR but didn't bid. Truthfully, a few dollars higher and I'd have been out of the running for this hat. I had to think long and hard before I set my snipe where I did. But I figured since a new OR is still one-sixty or so, I would go for it.

I love Open Roads, but I think that this one may be the last that I buy for a while. Well...unless a nice 7 5/8 Stratoliner becomes available. ;)

AF

The Open Road came today. No Open Road stamp! It is pristine, recent and from Shudde Bros. The Shudde web site refers to it as an Open Road but again no stamp. The quest continues!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Sorry bureau Chief! "Don't seem to see many black OR-style hats."

B

lol I think a warning will suffice this time...No need to get Deputy Swoopy involved...:D

I do agree with you, though -- it is seldom that you see a vintage black OR (or OR-style ;) lid).

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
lol I think a warning will suffice this time...No need to get Deputy Swoopy involved...:D
I do agree with you, though -- it is seldom that you see a vintage black OR (or OR-style ;) lid).
Cheers,
JtL
Deputy Swoopy has been working this one off the clock, Chief! I posted this evidence before as this prisitine vintage black OR had been disguised with a Thick Ribbon...
blackor6.jpg

blackor5.jpg

The hat has been sent to Major Moore for rehabilitation back to it's thin ribbon origins & the thick ribbon treatment has been sent to the Honorable Judge Carter for re-deployment on a more suitable recipient. Photos to follow...
Dep. Swoopy Out...:D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I understand that I am probably becoming compulsive, but I just couldn't resist this vintage OR. Pre-seventies and size 7 5/8 Long oval---nothing less than the Holy Grail for me.

This one's bash is already hosed up, so it definitely will become a fedora.

1c7a_3.jpg

BPcUet2kKGrHgoOKjUEjlLmU7BJzrzRelBw.jpg

AF

Atticus Finch said:
Yes, I understand that I am probably becoming compulsive, but I just couldn't resist this vintage OR. Pre-seventies and size 7 5/8 Long oval---nothing less than the Holy Grail for me.

This one's bash is already hosed up, so it definitely will become a fedora.

1c7a_3.jpg

BPcUet2kKGrHgoOKjUEjlLmU7BJzrzRelBw.jpg

AF
When I saw my bid get bested, I hoped it was you! Congrats AF, it looks like a beaut! Let me know if it is too tight....:D :eusa_clap

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Deputy, the jury is still out on the fit, that's for sure. I "reblocked" the last vintage 7 5/8 OR that I purchased into a long oval, and it now seems to be fine. Hopefully it will stay that way. I guess only time will tell. If this new hat turns out to be too tight, I will PM you before I put it up for sale.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally