Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dreispitz said:
Does it resemble in order to compete with Stetson on the US market? I am not sure if this Alessandria design was actualy an inicial italian design.

I don't know. But I will tell you that my wife's Grandfather born in 1896 Cannobio, Piedmonte, wore a similar hat all his days. Of course having immigrated to Calgary, AB. Canada in 1905, he might just have been "going western" but he wore it in a fedora crease. And both vintage Alessandria I own were sold in the US market.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Another Resistol Open Road style sells for half the price of an equivalent Stetson or Borsalino. The ribbon is an easy change at home for purists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320339518622

This one a Size 7 1/2 in 7X Beaver with 2 1/2" brim and 4 3/4" crown. Too big for me or I'da gone after it.

227383096_tp.jpg

227383398_tp.jpg

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I've been a bad boy

All this talk recently about Open Roads and Camptdrafts has made me have a bad lapse in judgment. I broke down last night and ordered the straw Open Road. Two hats in one week. The wife was not amused! :eusa_doh:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Open Road Ancestor?

This is my first post, but I think it should be of interest. I just received this hat today via ebay and it appears to be a Late 1920's NIB Royal Stetson DeLuxe(not Stetson Royal DeLuxe ) similar to Open Road dimensions 2-3/4" brim, big crown, ribbon is triple cord. It is open crown(slightly pushed in to fit in box) The Box is from Montgomery Ward and the 10 cent stamp on the box was used 1924-1930. Also looks very much like FDR's Campaign Hat now in Georgia. Here's the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...name=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

RBH

Bartender
rlk said:
This is my first post, but I think it should be of interest. I just received this hat today via ebay and it appears to be a Late 1920's NIB Royal Stetson DeLuxe(not Stetson Royal DeLuxe ) similar to Open Road dimensions 2-3/4" brim, big crown, ribbon is triple cord. It is open crown(slightly pushed in to fit in box) The Box is from Montgomery Ward and the 10 cent stamp on the box was used 1924-1930. Also looks very much like FDR's Campaign Hat now in Georgia. Here's the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...name=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&salenotsupported
Welcome to the Lounge Rik!
Great looking Stetson, hope this is one of many thin ribbons for you!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Due to not linking to live Ebay auctions, I'll just share with you the language from the sweatband of an OR clone being offered:

"The National Heritage Series by Adam
LBJ, style R
Color: Cascade TP3410
Adam Premier Quality"

If that's not on the list already, here you go.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
I wonder if this recent eBay find predates Stetson stamping "Open Road" on this style of hat? Except for the 2-cord ribbon, it matches OR measurements in every way.

It's a huge Size 7 7/8. With a 2 3/4" bound brim and 4 3/4 - 5 1/4 - 4 1/4" crown, it's proportional to my other Open Road styles and appropriate for the hat's size. It's also a true "open crown" hat with the felt pounced thinner on top than on the sides.

In an unusual khaki color, the felt has a nice, soft hand without sizing more akin to my Borsalinos than my Resistols. I figure mid 40's, but don't really know.

357013350.jpg

356995828.jpg

356995850.jpg

356995879.jpg

356995911.jpg

356995944.jpg

356995963.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally