Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 3X Open Road is the softest and most flexible of them all, softer even than my 7X "Clear Beaver" that just showed up. The 3X allows me to dip just the center of the front part of the brim down, so I can get that LBJ profile just right. Now all I need are the '50s style glasses.

Rick Blaine

Quick question...

Tony in Tarzana said:
My 3X Open Road is the softest and most flexible of them all, softer even than my 7X "Clear Beaver" that just showed up. The 3X allows me to dip just the center of the front part of the brim down, so I can get that LBJ profile just right. Now all I need are the '50s style glasses.
... does the 3x predate the 7x clear beaver?

Tony in Tarzana

Good question. Here's the 7X "Clear Beaver" including a $50.00 price tag inside the sweatband. The sweatband stitching is loose in front, I'll have to send it off to be restitched. Maybe I can have Art get rid of some of the stiffener while he's at it.

And the 3X:

The 7X has the wind trolley, the 3X does not. The 7X came with an oval box with a leather strap. The 3X came in a square box.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Okay, I'm in...

...as I just won this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220006783600&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012
I am really excited about it, and can't wait to get it. I am happy to find NOS in my size, even at this price. I know this is close to the price for an Art Fawcett model--Art is still on my shopping list, however, after my checking account balance recovers from this purchase! I will post again when I get the hat--since it is open crown, I will be looking for advice on bashing it properly, or maybe sending it to Art for blocking if that is a better idea. Let me know what you think.

Rick Blaine

OMG!!!!

Cruiser said:
...as I just won this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220006783600&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012
I am really excited about it, and can't wait to get it. I am happy to find NOS in my size, even at this price. I know this is close to the price for an Art Fawcett model--Art is still on my shopping list, however, after my checking account balance recovers from this purchase! I will post again when I get the hat--since it is open crown, I will be looking for advice on bashing it properly, or maybe sending it to Art for blocking if that is a better idea. Let me know what you think.
You won that !!!

In retro (I mean vintage) spect, I should've recognised yr. handle...

:eek: Ay Carumba!:eek:
I watched that 'un like a hawk...up untill the very last seconds it was hangin' in at $140ish... "One hundred fourty dollars" figures I... "not to far above the price of a current inferior OR...HHmmmm..."then w/ seven seconds to go, I hit refresh and lo & behold, in the space of a hummingbird's heartbeat it was at $250ish:eek: :eek:

That is a sight to behold, my envy is barely being contained... but I am very glad a lounger snaged that one, I doubt you will ever have cause to regret it... a BIG congrats!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
Good question. Here's the 7X "Clear Beaver" including a $50.00 price tag inside the sweatband. The sweatband stitching is loose in front, I'll have to send it off to be restitched. Maybe I can have Art get rid of some of the stiffener while he's at it.

And the 3X:

The 7X has the wind trolley, the 3X does not. The 7X came with an oval box with a leather strap. The 3X came in a square box.

I was told by a hatter a 7X clear beaver was a pure beaver Stetson...No bunny in it at all...:D

DOUGLAS

WOW:eek: That is a beautiful hat Cruiser.I love the 7X that Tony has too. I have been looking for one like that in a darker color. I don't recall ever seeing either one of those.

Jeepers, two more great old ORs to gush over. Don't be afraid to pinch that hat yourself, Cruiser. You may wish to look through some threads (including this one) as a guide, and if you don't like the results you can always send it off to a pro. The dilemma I faced with an apparently NOS Stratoliner my wife bought for me last holiday season is that it was in such fine condition I was tempted to leave it stored away with an open crown for some lucky buzzard to come across after I've departed for the Great Lounge in the Sky. That lasted for a month or so, until I put the water on the bowl and bashed that babe and stretched it a skosh. I've worn it maybe half a dozen times since then.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
Jeepers, two more great old ORs to gush over. Don't be afraid to pinch that hat yourself, Cruiser. You may wish to look through some threads (including this one) as a guide, and if you don't like the results you can always send it off to a pro. The dilemma I faced with an apparently NOS Stratoliner my wife bought for me last holiday season is that it was in such fine condition I was tempted to leave it stored away with an open crown for some lucky buzzard to come across after I've departed for the Great Lounge in the Sky. That lasted for a month or so, until I put the water on the bowl and bashed that babe and stretched it just a skosh. I've worn it maybe half a dozen times since then.

Thanks, tonyb--I will go through all the posts again before I try anything drastic. I am absolutely getting this one to wear--anyone that gets it after I am gone can just have it cleaned and reblocked;) .

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
You won that !!!

In retro (I mean vintage) spect, I should've recognised yr. handle...

:eek: Ay Carumba!:eek:
I watched that 'un like a hawk...up untill the very last seconds it was hangin' in at $140ish... "One hundred fourty dollars" figures I... "not to far above the price of a current inferior OR...HHmmmm..."then w/ seven seconds to go, I hit refresh and lo & behold, in the space of a hummingbird's heartbeat it was at $250ish:eek: :eek:

That is a sight to behold, my envy is barely being contained... but I am very glad a lounger snaged that one, I doubt you will ever have cause to regret it... a BIG congrats!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, Rick. I was so focused on this one that I missed out on a nice 7 1/2 gray Stratoliner that finished its auction about the same time. Hope someone on the Lounge got it.

DOUGLAS

Not nearly as beautiful as the ones above but here is mine.
381c44bdc599f79c793901b7092aeefb.jpg
[/IMG]
4f8d0a9ed4fe12e3e6339043fcbe5673.jpg
[/IMG]
302e1440798857ea341a52e1677fa76d.jpg
[/IMG]

MattC

A-List Customer
That 7x

May feel stiffer because it is a very dense felt, not because it was stiffened. Many of the best of the old Cavanaghs were pliable--easy to shape--but held even a complex bash without steam or blocking because they were so dense. The two hats look to be from the same era, so that would be my guess. I think the 7x is a treasure.

Tony in Tarzana

MattC said:
May feel stiffer because it is a very dense felt, not because it was stiffened. Many of the best of the old Cavanaghs were pliable--easy to shape--but held even a complex bash without steam or blocking because they were so dense. The two hats look to be from the same era, so that would be my guess. I think the 7x is a treasure.

I hear ya. The crown is very shapeable, and the felt is very nice. It's the brim that just kinda springs back and resists my efforts to shape it.

And I think the 7X is a treasure, too. :) I'll send it to a pro to get that sweat re-sewn.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Outbid

Being away from the computer (and no access to even my sniper) meant I missed my first Open Road style (Resistol Kitten Finish) yesterday by a buck.

I know where you people live! :mad:

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe