Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Got it!

Love this hat. It became my instant favorite next to my Adam Premier. It took it's shape rather quickly and with very little steaming.

IM000618.jpg

IM000629.jpg

IM000625.jpg

I think this will have to be the hat of choice for our Disneyland trip here soon.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it makes ya' feel any better

Visigoth said:
Okay, this is making me heartsick. I tried to bid on this Dobbs Fifty -- a classy Open Road if I've ever seen one -- and they wouldn't let me put in a bid, because my address is in Mexico. And it went for *13.00*.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320005282418

I'm trying the sour grapes angle: perhaps it's a stiff cowboy hat, and I wouldn't like it?

I watched that one fail to make its reserve the first time it was up, and this time I was watching, but just decided to let it go...
...besides, aren't you a 7 1/2?
...the seller stated an inner circumfrence of 22 1/8"... that is why I (at 23") thought better of persuing it... also that brim was 3 1/4" if it was an inch!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Sigh... I'm 7 1/4. Would have fit me nicely. Do you mean that the brim is on the wide side for an Open Road?

Rick Blaine

Visigoth said:
Sigh... I'm 7 1/4. Would have fit me nicely.

Nuts! :eusa_doh: Yeah, ya' might've made it work at that...
Visigoth said:
Do you mean that the brim is on the wide side for an Open Road?
Yeah ... looks that way to me.
Speaking for myself... I could't be trusted to successfully cut down a brim. :eek: I would screw it up!

Tony in Tarzana

Latest one (for now)

This is a 3X Beaver O.R. that seems to be from a transitional period. It still has the translucent fabric between the sweat and the liner, but the liner isn't sewn in. It isn't glued, either, but it appears to be held in with several short squares of tape. Not Scotch tape or masking tape, but some sort of kraft paper.

Anyhow, what do you think? Brim up or down? The thin, relatively soft felt with the bound edge seem happy either way.

Hey, what's that? It Tony actually smiling in that first shot? (actually I was laughing as I clicked the button... I'll have to remember that technique.)

I vote brim up, Tarzana. Seems to work better with that crown treatment. Some of mine, with the fedora pinch crowns, I wear with the brim "pulled" down in front--not snapped, but just sorta dipped. Anyone know what that brim shape is called?

Tony in Tarzana said:
This is a 3X Beaver O.R. that seems to be from a transitional period. It still has the translucent fabric between the sweat and the liner, but the liner isn't sewn in. It isn't glued, either, but it appears to be held in with several short squares of tape. Not Scotch tape or masking tape, but some sort of kraft paper.

Anyhow, what do you think? Brim up or down? The thin, relatively soft felt with the bound edge seem happy either way.

I say brim down.
Check that liner for needle holes. Some hatters just put that kraft tape in to hold the liner in instead of actually sewing in back in after they finished cleaning a hat. I have several that have that done to them. :( The good nes is that it was never glued and it can be sewn back in anytime you want. :D
As an aside, no offense intended but why does your avatar remind me of this guy?:
TR-VictorBuono.jpg
[huh]

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

No offence taken, Victor Buono was a wonderful actor. A real style icon for larger guys.

Yeah, I'm going with brim up, except when the sun's in my eyes. The soft felt with the bound edge lends itself to being flipped up and down easily.

Magus

Practically Family
Open Road...Magus Style

Well gang...here she is.

A little cleaning, some time over the steaming tea kettle...and **bling** the Open Road "Magus Style". When I first got it I was worried that I might have a constant urge to say "What we have herrre is a failllure to comuuunicte." Instead I find myself wanting to buy a zoot suit. Its a sweet one for sure.

Enjoy,
M
OR1.jpg

OR2.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

Well, Magus, that's the beauty of having more than one Open Road. I may have four, counting one that may be an OR but it hasn't shown up yet. The one I'm wearing in the picture came with a perfect cattleman's crease, so that's how it'll stay. The others? Who knows? :)

GentlemanFarmer said:
tonyb - I don't "snap" my Open Road brim, just down. How about "semi-snap".

That'll work for me. I kinda like those brims to swoop down a bit starting at around the temples and then back up just a tad at the front. Maybe that ain't the best way to descibe it, but I imagine you get the gist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe