Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I lost out on this beautiful grey 1950s beaded cardigan yesterday. It went for $15 more than I wanted to pay but I'm still gutted!

greyangora.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
I just lost these... They went for $122, which was just too much for me, especially considering that the shipping to Europe is sooooo expensive nowadays.

2211_1.JPG

Oh my goodness, those are so beautiful. Too bad you didn't win them! :(

ShortClara

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Gee, I it really breaks my heart when people use software to make last second bids on eBay... :(

Fight fire with fire! If the auctions end at a time when you will not be around, use a sniper! In the end, it's the highest BID that wins, not the timing. I usually like to be in there fighting when it ends, but if I simply can't be there, I'll use a sniper. And I don't always win - if I didn't set the bid high enough.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Yes, aren't they... I feel bad too.

Gee, I it really breaks my heart when people use software to make last second bids on eBay... :(

Actually, bid snipers DO help prevent prices from being prematurely driven up days before the auction ends. In the end, it's the highest bid that wins, not the timing. Better that high bid be placed at the end, rather than days before, allowing others to drive the price even higher!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Which sniper services would you ladies recommend? I get too excited when an auction is about to end, so it would be best for me to use a sniper... But is it fair to set it to bid 3 seconds before the auction ends, or should I set it to bid 10 seconds before, or...?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Which sniper services would you ladies recommend? I get too excited when an auction is about to end, so it would be best for me to use a sniper... But is it fair to set it to bid 3 seconds before the auction ends, or should I set it to bid 10 seconds before, or...?

Esnipe. Do what feels best. I usually do 6 seconds, but I also lost an auction once because of a connection problem.

ShortClara

One Too Many
My last was 8 secs? I could be sniped at the end, but it's enough time to get it in there. I've used a few - all free the first time or so ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: I think all sniping is fair, no matter how many seconds. Highest bid is highest bid, period.

www.bidninja.com is free and you can bid on more than one item at a time.

Just be prepared for a loss still. Something that is going for say, $30 can end up at $160 at the end. This just happened to me, and my snipe was set at $102. Sometimes the snipes don't even show up as bids if you've been outbid.
Nikki

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I use Bid Burglar. Like others have said, using a sniper doesn't automatically mean you'll win the auction. I used to be very against the idea of sniping but I only use it for US auctions as they tend to end at about 3am, so it's the only way I can win!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I see what you ladies mean about fairness and I do agree that the highest bid wins. I lost those white shoes primarily because the bid was much more than I wanted to give. But even if I had wanted to give more, I might have lost them anyway, and that's just it.

The thing that upsets me most is when my max bid is say $45 and the auction ends at $46... :( I think it makes it quite difficult to set a max bid, I guess I should always set it $5 higher than I intend or something like that, to avoid that bad feeling when someone wins an item by overbidding by just $1-5...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
The thing that upsets me most is when my max bid is say $45 and the auction ends at $46... :( I think it makes it quite difficult to set a max bid, I guess I should always set it $5 higher than I intend or something like that, to avoid that bad feeling when someone wins an item by overbidding by just $1-5...

Yes, this is just a trick to Ebay bidding! If you're willing to pay $45, bid $47 instead. Or bid an odd amount like $45.55 to offset anyone who might be willing to have a high bid that equals your own.

Also, the advantage to a lot of sniping services is that it allows you to set your bid, alter it, and even retract it before the bid has been placed, just in case you change your mind.

nyx

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Actually, bid snipers DO help prevent prices from being prematurely driven up days before the auction ends. In the end, it's the highest bid that wins, not the timing. Better that high bid be placed at the end, rather than days before, allowing others to drive the price even higher!

I completely agree. I actually get annoyed when I see people start bidding six days before the auction ends, because you know it's just going to drive the price through the roof. But then again, if you're the seller, I guess that's good lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I see what you ladies mean about fairness and I do agree that the highest bid wins. I lost those white shoes primarily because the bid was much more than I wanted to give. But even if I had wanted to give more, I might have lost them anyway, and that's just it.

I'm sorry that you didn't get those lovely shoes, needless to say they would have looked great on you. I'm sure an even prettier pair are awaiting you on another auction out there :)

I think that sniping is fair enough if you want an item bad enough. I haven't used it but have done a bit of reading about Esnipe and it seems like a fair option that could save you having to stay up late for an auction close. The one thing that put me off was that there have been reports of Ebay detecting the Sniping service placing bids as a third party accessing your account and then changing your password for you as a result which even though easy to resolve seems a bit annoying to me.

I know what you mean about being outbid by a dollar, but don't forget that you don't actually know how much they bid they may well have bid £60, not £46 it may not be as painfully close as it appears as it will only show you the minimum increment that they outbid you buy not what their maximum bid was!

Good luck with you next pair of shoes.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I've missed out on SO many things these past few days because of a glitch in Ebay. My watched items only show up periodically. :rage: It's driving me absolutely BATTY!!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
:eek:fftopic: I think all sniping is fair, no matter how many seconds. Highest bid is highest bid, period.

www.bidninja.com is free and you can bid on more than one item at a time.

Thanks so much for the bidninja tip, Nikki. Slept much better last night. Most auctions end way past midnight here, because I live in Denmark, and bidninja is a huge help this way.

Allabouteve, thank you for the comforting words, I'm sure there's another pair waiting for me. ^.^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe