Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Another dress I adored but I dropped out early. It went for $222.50! It's lovely but it wouldn't be that difficult to reproduce--the mysteries of ebay confound me.

Picture1908.jpg

Picture1891.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
LadyStardust said:
What also kills me is that it is perfectly, perfectly my size. Oh, how I wish I had unlimited funds to spend on my every whim.

That gorgeous thing was your size? That just twists the knife, doesn't it?

I love Edwardian dresses too. Here are some from my fantasy wardrobe, courtesy of Vintage Textile. I've blocked out what they sold for.

c320x.jpg

Welcome to my Newport Cottage, how nice of you to call! Handmade Irish crocheted lace gown, c.1912.

c154x.jpg

Another ball (sigh!) - the season can be so taxing! LaFerrière satin/tulle dinner gown with metallic embroidery, c.1912.

c198x.jpg

One lump or two? Hand-embroidered sheer cotton gown, c.1908.

1608x.jpg

A little something to wear whilst I practice my debutante slouch at the opera. Russian-style cut velvet evening coat with beaded passementerie panels and sable trim, c.1910.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa Anne said:
I hope it doesn't fit whoever outbid me!!!!

Bwah! I was scrolling back through this thread to make sure I hadn't missed anything and I came upon this post.

I think we should officially enstate this as The New Vintage Lady's Ultimate Curse--isn't that the worst fate you could wish someone ebay shopping-wise? ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
I think we should officially enstate this as The New Vintage Lady's Ultimate Curse--isn't that the worst fate you could wish someone ebay shopping-wise? ;)

I love it!!!!!!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
decodoll said:
I have that book. The modern 1940s Hairstyles book by Turudich takes most of the information and diagrams from it but leaves a bunch of the text out. Watch www.abe.com. They don't have any copies up right now, but usually you can find a few on there. I got mine from a seller on ABE about a year ago for $30. At the exact same time it was going for $100 on ebay!

What is the name of the book you are mentioning? The pictures Sari posted are now gone, at least on my computer...

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
imoldfashioned said:
Bwah! I was scrolling back through this thread to make sure I hadn't missed anything and I came upon this post.

Perfect! I used the NVL's Ultimate Curse just the other day. lol

ShortClara

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:

Hahahahahahaaa! Hear Hear!

lonestarcasie

New in Town
imoldfashioned said:
I know, isn't it adorable? I keep picturing a shirtdress in that fabric--think it would be too much?

There is no such thing as too much. Did I already reply to this? Well, it bears saying twice anyway, even if I did.;)

ShortClara

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I know, isn't it adorable? I keep picturing a shirtdress in that fabric--think it would be too much?

Hee I agree - no such thing, says the woman trying to find the perfect design for bright blue fortune cookie fabric :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
This would have fit me but it was way over what I wanted to pay (it went for $177.50). I had to sit on my hands to keep from bidding on it anyway--a dress with a matching cape? So kitchy!

DSC_0116_edited.jpg

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Imoldfashioned, that is so gorgeous :eek: , I can believe it going for that kind of money as it really is lovely and it's less than some folk spend on shoes when you think about it.
Well done on being so disciplined and sticking to your budget in the face of such fierce temptation, I bet something lovely will wing it's way to you now and it'll be even prettier.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
Imoldfashioned, that is so gorgeous :eek: , I can believe it going for that kind of money as it really is lovely and it's less than some folk spend on shoes when you think about it.
Well done on being so disciplined and sticking to your budget in the face of such fierce temptation, I bet something lovely will wing it's way to you now and it'll be even prettier.

Thank you for your encouragement AllaboutEve! That's the good thing about the vintage world, there's always something wonderful around the corner.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Rockapin-up said:
:( :( lost this one on friday, I was the first bidder and tried to fight for it but lost :(
1565635582_bd81751013_o.jpg

Heartbreaker! That's such a pretty dress and a nice size too. I'd have been bidding on it too if I'd seen it (but I didn't see it and I didn't bid against you!).

SarahLouise

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
This would have fit me but it was way over what I wanted to pay (it went for $177.50). I had to sit on my hands to keep from bidding on it anyway--a dress with a matching cape? So kitchy!

DSC_0116_edited.jpg

That seller usually has great stuff. She was selling an amazing western shirt and pants set the other day and it went for about $200.

Josephine

One Too Many
I lost out on another hat, the one I really wanted, not because I was outbid, but because once again I didn't have my act together and missed the end of the auction! :p

lonestarcasie

New in Town
Josephine said:
I lost out on another hat, the one I really wanted, not because I was outbid, but because once again I didn't have my act together and missed the end of the auction! :p

I find myself spacing out on a regular basis where my ebay auctions are concerned. And then when I see something went for cheap, I just want to bawl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe