Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Could be that he wanted you to get close enough to jack you!!

I agree with Indy. I am assuming that this happened in NYC. Being a NYer I have to be on my toes. Sounds like you were being set up. You were smart enough to simply walk away.

Maybe I am as nutty as the guy you encountered, because my pat answer is "I have to call my mother and ask if it is ok first". I get a far away look from the knuckle head, then disbelief, then they move on. lol

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Are Hat Wearers Metrosexual?

Widebrim said:
So if you're into clothes, and a male, you're homosexual...Unfortunately, this perception is more common than one would think.

I've heard that too, Widebrim. And the look on people's faces when they make this association often reflects the line from the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry and George are "outed" as a gay couple by a newspaper reporter (a college paper, if I recall). Jerry's repeated line in denying he's gay: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" He's trying to claim he's unbiased when in reality he's uncomfortable as hell with the idea.

Not long ago I attended a harvest festival in the Temecula Valley in San Diego county--about 20 wineries, many of them offering very good local wines. I wore a cheap Jaxon houndstooth stingy pinch fedora, as the event was casual and it was a hot weekend, along with a black and white Cubana shirt. Our large group consisted of both gay and straight couples...and one of the single, straight women couldn't stop commenting on my "metrosexuality." I was, in her words, "the last metrosexual."

I took the comment as a positive, if odd reflection. Men with style are "odd" in many people's minds today--a sad reflection on the times.

Justdog

Practically Family
I took the comment as a positive, if odd reflection. Men with style are "odd" in many people's minds today--a sad reflection on the times.[/QUOTE]

Nicely stated:cheers1:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Forget it Jake. It's Chinatown...

A friend and I were walking down a street in Chinatown today, in the daytime. Now keep in mind, I've walked through the district many times before "dressed up," and have never received a dumb comment, but that was usually at night when there are fewer non-Chinese. But back to the story...Both of us were wearing suits and hats (see avatar, but shorter-brimmed fedora), and shades. Approaching us was a man who (it's hard to describe this) was pushing some kind of walker with part of some type of city street sign attached to it. He was carrying a load of indescribable junk, was dressed in I don't know what, and his hair was going in different directions. He looked up at us and remarked, "You guys look like the Mafia!" I've heard this and variations of it a couple of times before and have not made it an issue, and I realized that the guy was likely not in his right mind, but this time I had to say something. I stopped in my tracks and answered, "Are you trying to be funny?" He was taken aback, and I added, "All men used to dress like this." To add insult to injury, he added, "No, no, I mean you look like Pachucos!" So now we've gone from Sicilian gangsters to Chicano rebels, despite the fact that we were not wearing zoot suits or wide-brimmed hats. My friend and I began to walk away, with this man yelling at us, "Don't be so serious! Like Pachucos! You know what you are?!" And so on. I should add to all this that my friend and I are both of mostly Italian ancestry, so references to the La Mano Nera or La Cosa Nostra don't especially sit well with us...Looking back, considering the man's mental state, I should have let it go. And when you stand out from the crowd, you have to be prepared for whatever comes your way. Yet it's odd that someone who looked like he stepped out of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was calling us out for the way we looked. Next time, I'll try to resort to my usual pleasant self.:D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, from what you have described, I think its pretty safe to say that the man wasn't in his right mind. I wouldn't worry about his comments too much.

Widebrim said:
A friend and I were walking down a street in Chinatown today, in the daytime. Now keep in mind, I've walked through the district many times before "dressed up," and have never received a dumb comment, but that was usually at night when there are fewer non-Chinese. But back to the story...Both of us were wearing suits and hats (see avatar, but shorter-brimmed fedora), and shades. Approaching us was a man who (it's hard to describe this) was pushing some kind of walker with part of some type of city street sign attached to it. He was carrying a load of indescribable junk, was dressed in I don't know what, and his hair was going in different directions. He looked up at us and remarked, "You guys look like the Mafia!" I've heard this and variations of it a couple of times before and have not made it an issue, and I realized that the guy was likely not in his right mind, but this time I had to say something. I stopped in my tracks and answered, "Are you trying to be funny?" He was taken aback, and I added, "All men used to dress like this." To add insult to injury, he added, "No, no, I mean you look like Pachucos!" So now we've gone from Sicilian gangsters to Chicano rebels, despite the fact that we were not wearing zoot suits or wide-brimmed hats. My friend and I began to walk away, with this man yelling at us, "Don't be so serious! Like Pachucos! You know what you are?!" And so on. I should add to all this that my friend and I are both of mostly Italian ancestry, so references to the La Mano Nera or La Cosa Nostra don't especially sit well with us...Looking back, considering the man's mental state, I should have let it go. And when you stand out from the crowd, you have to be prepared for whatever comes your way. Yet it's odd that someone who looked like he stepped out of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was calling us out for the way we looked. Next time, I'll try to resort to my usual pleasant self.:D

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I wonder if what sounds like a homeless man with possible
mental problems really deserved that. I'd save the comebacks for people who are better off and still choose to be rude.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
I look like...

It's often those who are most unhinged who also have the least ability to participate appropriately in social settings. Here's how I might interpret that gentleman's comments:

"You look like a young Al Pacino or Edward James Olmos."

Cool. I must be stylin'.:rolleyes:

Slim Portly

One Too Many
This is what I wore yesterday, as well as a pair of grey dress gloves. At one point I noticed that my pocket square had slipped down a bit too far into the breast pocket of my suit jacket and so I took three seconds to tug it back up and straighten it out nicely. As I looked up there was a man standing in front of me with a smirk on his face, a head of unkempt hair, a pair of baggy jeans, and an untucked t-shirt. "Oh yeah, that looks much better," was his well-considered comment. I smiled and said, "Thank you. I think so, too."

DSC04815-CROP.jpg

At a 1920s event hosted in a historic homestead a few summers ago, a vaunted member of "the vintage community" (and represented here) smirked at me and commented "... nice denim ...". It was not a compliment. Keep in mind it was about 100 degrees that day, I had worn a simple "yard coat" and suspender button jeans from "Prison Blues" (good, inexpensive source of work clothes) and a Wrangler snap button denim shirt. Other fellows were wearing similar "farmer" attire, overalls, and the property had once been a working farm. What a snob.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slim Portly said:
This is what I wore yesterday, as well as a pair of grey dress gloves. At one point I noticed that my pocket square had slipped down a bit too far into the breast pocket of my suit jacket and so I took three seconds to tug it back up and straighten it out nicely. As I looked up there was a man standing in front of me with a smirk on his face, a head of unkempt hair, a pair of baggy jeans, and an untucked t-shirt. "Oh yeah, that looks much better," was his well-considered comment. I smiled and said, "Thank you. I think so, too."

DSC04815-CROP.jpg
Stylin' there Slim. :eusa_clap

Is that a Homburg renovation? :rolleyes:

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I went out to lunch today with my family, and Ironically enough I got odd/nasty looks. I wasn't told we were going anywhere but home, so I just had on my sweats and a coat. However I was wearing my fedora, I didn't look too bad, just casual. My brother on the other hand, was wearing his usual ensemble. Jeans tucked into hos purple boots, LARGE cowboy hat with large feather in it, FFA carheart coat and plaid western shirt. No one even batted an eye at him...but this one gentleman looked at me like I'd committed a sin when I put my hat on. It was weird.

KatintheHat

Suspended
Caity Lynn said:
I went out to lunch today with my family, and Ironically enough I got odd/nasty looks. I wasn't told we were going anywhere but home, so I just had on my sweats and a coat. However I was wearing my fedora, I didn't look too bad, just casual. My brother on the other hand, was wearing his usual ensemble. Jeans tucked into hos purple boots, LARGE cowboy hat with large feather in it, FFA carheart coat and plaid western shirt. No one even batted an eye at him...but this one gentleman looked at me like I'd committed a sin when I put my hat on. It was weird.

Forget those kinda people. Just be yourself. :cool:

LordBest

Practically Family
I was walking down the street this morning, wearing my grey Churchill fedora. A car pulls pulls over to the curb and a young man sticks his head out:
Man: Nice hat, faggot.
LB: What?
Man: I said, nice hat, faggot.
LB: You wed a mice trap maggot?
Man: What?
LB: What?
Man: Are you f*cking deaf?
LB: I most certainly am not sucking meth.
Man pulls away from the curb and drives off.

RBH

Bartender
Caity Lynn said:
Sounds like he was sorry for the way he was dressed, and you put him to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82