Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tommy Katkins said:
Before I started dressing vintage, and I started dressing in around 1984 I was a bit of a punk kid...I was with my punk mates hanging out one time in my hometown and a small child exclaimed "Look Mummy, Clowns!"...

But in regards to vintage it was a girl I'd very recently been dumped by saying "You look like you should be in sepia!".

TK

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol lol lol

dean

F16WarBird

New in Town
FWIW, anything you wear, be it 40's or 21 century, it is a costume. That includes jeans and a tee-shirt. Now, someone implying that you are "dressing up" in a costume is something entirely different.

So, the kids you see wearing XXXL white tee shirts that hang down below their butts, denim shorts that drape down to just above their ankles, and ridiculously over priced sneakers, are wearing a costume.

I wear kilts. I wear them a lot. I don't carry a sword or wear a fly plaid (draped over the shoulder), and I usually wear a standard tee-shirt or button down with appropriate shoes. I know that no matter what, I will always have people think I'm "dressed up" in a costume.

FWIW, you'll never get asked the level of stupid questions that I am asked when I'm kilted. lol

This was last new year's.
IMG_5555.jpg

I apologize for side/hijacking this thread, but I wanted to address this point.

I currently wear a tweed flat cap (AKA "Jeff Cap") but I'm looking possibly purchase a Homburg or Fedora. So far, I haven't received any comments, positive or negative.

F16WarBird

New in Town
If it looks good. That's always been the basis of all my apparel choices.

The flat cap looks great. I think a fedora would look very good.

Regardless, This purchase is geard towards a "pants" ensemble. ;)

Slainte!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dressed to Kilt!

I usually wear a flat cap when I am going kilt casual and my Bowler if I am going for the whole Prince Charlie.
Johnny

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Try wearing a red kepi with a kilt. I'm Clan Donald and it looks smashing with our plaid. Usually at balls I wear a Glengarry (no dicing). But, at balls associated with reenactments I will pull out the kepi occasionally.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
This might have already been mentioned (really long thread), but has anyone suggested that we should have a new and different thread for "positive comments"?

I ask because this one sort of turned into "all comments," not just stupid ones.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Kilt without guilt

I think kilts are totally cool! I only wish I had the nerve to wear one. The only time I ever did was when I was in a play called "The Hasty Heart" and played a Scot. I should have been wearing a Cameron Highlanders kilt, but was lucky enough to find one belonging to a pipe band member, only slightly too large for me. But I loved it.

"Sepia" That has to be one of the classiest insults I've ever heard!

L

Laurence

What is the hat in your Avatar,and brim size?

BigSleep said:
Why is it that a co worker or stranger would even make it a topic of conversation? In other words, "Why do you care what I wear?!"

Are people just making conversation?
Are they jealous that they dont have the nerve to wear something that they actually like?
Could they really be that confused by it?
It's really kind of puzzling to me.

I did have a young girl (under 20) say to me "That's a fly hat!"

Some people are interested in such things and other are happy as long as they have their Nine Inch Nails concert T. Or better yet, my favorite, a Ramones shirt on a 12 yr old. "Hey kid, name me one song they played." Ha

My wife and I were just discussing the fact that with all the primping young men do these days, it cant be long before it leads to nicer clothes. Even if they are not vintage. (Think Puffy Combs)

Okay, I'm done.

:eek:fftopic:
What is the Hat in your Avatar? Brim size?

Edward

Bartender
F16WarBird said:

What tartan is that? Looks like it could be Anderson (probably the Modern), but i have this nagging notion in my head that there should be more red for that (unless my monitor isn't picking it up fully). Sharp ensemble. I'm tempted myself.... I would if I were actually Scottish myself, but as it's a couple of hundred years at least since my mother's side of the family left Scotland for Ireland, it seems a bit, well..... I don't feel enough of a direct connection to it for it not to feel a bit affected.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
What tartan is that? Looks like it could be Anderson (probably the Modern), but i have this nagging notion in my head that there should be more red for that (unless my monitor isn't picking it up fully).

Actually, I believe that is the US Air Force Tartan.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
WildCelt said:
Actually, I believe that is the US Air Force Tartan.

Wow. Twenty-five years of active duty in the Air Force and I never knew there was an Air Force Tartan! I Googled it after seeing this and found references to the US Air Force Reserve Tartan and a US Air Force Tartan--they appear identical.

Thanks, WildCelt! Should I ever get the urge to have a kilt made I now know what Tartan to use since I'm not Scottish! (Hmmm... my niece is getting married next year in a Catholic/Scottish wedding... )

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee said:
Wow. Twenty-five years of active duty in the Air Force and I never knew there was an Air Force Tartan! I Googled it after seeing this and found references to the US Air Force Reserve Tartan and a US Air Force Tartan--they appear identical. Tom
My guess is they are identical, but the Reserve Tartan is usually worn for a couple of weeks and then only so many weekends per year.

Just a joke, my thanks go out to all who serve.

F16WarBird

New in Town
Yes, it is the Air Force tartan.

I'm technically Clan Campbell on my Mother's side. My Father's side is heavy duty German/Austrian (the umlaut was removed in the 1930's).

Tango, thank you for your service. It's always good to see another bluesuiter. Cheers!

BTW, I was at a Ren Fest on Saturday. Kilted (McQueen tartan) of course.

I'm wandering around, checking out the vendors tent and some moron walking by says "you're slip is showing". I replied "It's a pity your manners aren't".

I do detest unoriginality.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
I'm a Campbell, too, and have been wearing kilts since I can remember (the first one was wider than it was tall to fit over the diaper). Interestingly enough, I also have heavy Volga German (Germans who fled to Russia, then to America) heritage from my paternal grandmother.

When I was in the Marine Corps, I was the only guy on base who wore a kilt around until my best friend showed up. The "Where are your bagpipes?" really gets old quickly.
F16WarBird said:
I do detest unoriginality.
I do, too.

BTW, I dig the Sharpe avatar. Have you read the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth