Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Spats McGee

One Too Many
My first conversion

Well, here's my first conversion. It's not as clean or as nice as I hoped it'd turn out, but I'm not entirely unhappy with the result, either. This one will undoubtedly get me some "Hey, Indy" comments.

It started as a Resistol 3X Beaver cowboy hat that jonbuilder put on ebay. It's a 7 3/8, so it had to spend some time on the stretcher, but it stretched nicely.

First, I removed the ribbon, and popped the crown back to open. That's when I really began to realize that this hat has a whole lotta crown to it!

It also had a lot bigger brim than I had wanted, to I got out the X-acto knife and trimmed the brim.

Once that was done, I sanded down the brim, then I printed off Jimmy the Lid's tutorial on making a teardrop, warmed up the kettle and set to work. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), my teardrop came out nothing like Jimmy's do. Mine was more a combination of teardrop and porkpie. Then I sent Mrs. McGee off to find some 1.5 inch grosgrain, and printed off the article on replacing a ribbon. Put the ribbon on, put the Resistol pin back in place, and here's the final result:

High Pockets

Practically Family
Never really liked this one;

100_2458-2.jpg

So,....while a pot of water was heating to a boil, with razor blade I cut away everything that didn't look like a fedora and rushed it to the ribbon shop for some stitches!

:) Patient's fine and dandy!

100_2529.jpg

RBH

Bartender
High Pockets said:
Never really liked this one;

100_2458-2.jpg

So,....while a pot of water was heating to a boil, with razor blade I cut away everything that didn't look like a fedora and rushed it to the ribbon shop for some stitches!

:) Patient's fine and dandy!

100_2529.jpg

DANG !!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks, everyone. Honestly, I'll probably redo lots on this one, including trimming the brim further and re-steaming it. In fact, Mrs. McGee's first comment was, "You could probably stand to trim that brim a little further." I'll probably also redo the ribbon eventually, just because looks a little sloppy up close.

@ High Pockets: Now that is how you do a conversion! :eusa_clap

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll probably also redo the ribbon eventually, just because looks a little sloppy up close.

Spats, If you change the ribbon may I suggest using a lighter color to bring out the rich brown color of the felt. Myself I have yet to muster the courage and ambition to take a knife to a hat and attempt to sew in a new ribbon. Perhaps some of the more experienced will chime in. :eusa_clap

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Wow, HighPockets!

That's impressive. And how did you manage to get the edge binding so straight and beautiful? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

High Pockets

Practically Family
Thanks for all the kind words, makes me happy to know y'all like it!:)

Roninjedi said:
Wow, HighPockets!

That's impressive. And how did you manage to get the edge binding so straight and beautiful? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I steamed the cattleman's brim flat and used a fifty cent elementary-school circle-scribe, (the little tin jobs with a point on one end and a pencil clamped in the other end), to put a pencil line around the top of the brim 2 1/2" from the crown. Using a cutting board and a new single-edge razor blade I gently cut half-way through the brim. By only cutting half way through the first time around and not having to push down so hard, you get a much more even cut. The second time around you can go through all the way, but you have to be sure the blade is at the same angle!
It still won't be perfect, but using sandpaper you can straighten out the waves you'll have. I used 220 grit, then 400 grit and finished with 800 I think. The ribbon-edge that was sewed on by the hat shop made it look perfect!

I initially wanted nothing more than a lawn-mowing, car-washing hat, but heck,...it ended up looking nice enough for a dress hat!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:
I initially wanted nothing more than a lawn-mowing, car-washing hat, but heck,...it ended up looking nice enough for a dress hat!

I'll say! That is one impressive conversion, High Pockets. Fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Resistol Redux

Well, I took the advice about trimming the brim down & cut it down another 1/4" today. It's surprising how much difference a 1/4" can make. I also put on a different ribbon, opting for something narrower. I had too many gaps between felt and grosgrain with the last one. Turns out that ribbon replacements go much faster after the first. Finally, I had to reshape the brim after the new cut. I run into the same problem no matter what hat I'm working on: When I curl the back, the sides lay flat. When I curl the sides, the back lays flat. Anyway, I think I improved the hat today and here's the final result:

billysmom

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
Well, I took the advice about trimming the brim down & cut it down another 1/4" today. It's surprising how much difference a 1/4" can make. I also put on a different ribbon, opting for something narrower. I had too many gaps between felt and grosgrain with the last one. Turns out that ribbon replacements go much faster after the first. Finally, I had to reshape the brim after the new cut. I run into the same problem no matter what hat I'm working on: When I curl the back, the sides lay flat. When I curl the sides, the back lays flat. Anyway, I think I improved the hat today and here's the final result:

Noticeably better! I love the color and the ribbon sets it off nicely. Well done! (What's next?)

Sue​

Spats McGee

One Too Many
billysmom said:
Noticeably better! I love the color and the ribbon sets it off nicely. Well done! (What's next?)

Sue
Thanks, Sue. Next is getting that Barton in shape, but that won't be a conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82