Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

jpbales

Practically Family
My first full conversion

A week ago it was a Dobbs Westward:

Westward1.jpg

Yesterday it was a Dobbs Westward:
DSC02549.jpg

Today it is unique:
FrontAngle2.jpg

DobbsWestwardSide.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
thanks!

You did a great job on your conversion too! I sort of modeled the ribbon after this one:
AdamExecutive73_8ribbon.jpg

The ribbon I used is wider though, so I couldn't quite make as many folds as that one had. Somehow the 6" of crown it started out with now seems shorter too [huh] After creasing it, it's only just over 4". Perhaps my block being squarer and having a longer oval took out some of the height for length.

Spats McGee said:
Nice, jp! Looks like you were a little more adventurous in the ribbon department than I was.

jpbales

Practically Family
Nah, I don't think so. Maybe if I had the right ribbon I would consider it, but it seems like too much of pain for such a little result [huh] That may look nice though

indycop said:
Great job JP! Are you going to try your hand at binding the brim now?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
There are some wonderful conversions being made!..Wish we had a cowboy hat store that did brim binding like that around here!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Stoney said:
Blocked.jpg

I removed the ribbon and sweatband, soaked the entire hat in cold water and pulled an inch of crown into the brim using a flange. I flanged and blocked the hat, then and let it dry for two days. I finished putting it together this afternoon and took it out on the town about an hour later.

Beautiful conversion, Stoney. Can you send me a link or a PM on how to go about pulling crown height into the brim? I may have stuck myself with a 6 1/2 inch crown Resistol. Decent hat but not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want the money to go to waste and would like a nice brown fedora out of it. I'm not sure how to safely remove the sweatband, pull crown felt into the brim, and resew the sweat. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Roninjedi said:
Beautiful conversion, Stoney. Can you send me a link or a PM on how to go about pulling crown height into the brim? I may have stuck myself with a 6 1/2 inch crown Resistol. Decent hat but not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want the money to go to waste and would like a nice brown fedora out of it. I'm not sure how to safely remove the sweatband, pull crown felt into the brim, and resew the sweat. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Has anyone seen Stoney? I'm beginning to get a bit worried about him. [huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I recently aquired a western Stetson thinking it would make a good conversion hat.

c128121402400.jpg

Alas, it has much too much front to back taper for a Fedora like crease without a reblock, at least on my nog anyway.

hpim1591f.jpg

Notice the planned color coordination for conversion:

Ribbon: 1 1/4 or 1/1/2 in. Bottle brown with white and gold highlights.

Brim width: 2 5/8 in. with binding the same color as the stuff in the bottle.

I have found, however, that a lot of water and a little not so gentle persuasion can go a long way with a stiff hat.

Notice the 'blocked in nonchalance.'

hpim1583.jpg

hpim1590a.jpg

Evidence of the moth party will be alleviated with sandpaper.

This one will be, henceforth, relegated to beaterdom at least until I acquire a proper block.

babs

A-List Customer
First OR style for me.. And I've found THE thread to learn

So today, I jumped on this one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220396968922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dobbs OR clone. Looks like just a bash and a snap on that brim and it'll "fed" out nicely. Does look like a moth got a hold of it slightly. I'll have to learn about using sand-paper to address a moth nibbling.. Because I for one would LOVE to keep the original ribbon.

Stoney

Practically Family
Roninjedi said:

Thanks!

You can do the same thing with steam, but when working with a stiff cowboy hat, I prefer to soak it in cold water. Place the hat body on the block, place the flange, flat side down, on top of the hat body and pull the felt from underneath, while pushing down on the flange. Adjust the height of the brim break to where you want it. Finally let it dry then iron the brim and crown.

Stoney

Practically Family
Beautiful job

High Pockets said:
Never really liked this one;

100_2458-2.jpg

So,....while a pot of water was heating to a boil, with razor blade I cut away everything that didn't look like a fedora and rushed it to the ribbon shop for some stitches!

:) Patient's fine and dandy!

100_2529.jpg

That is one sharp looking lid.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Stoney said:
You can do the same thing with steam, but when working with a stiff cowboy hat, I prefer to soak it in cold water. Place the hat body on the block, place the flange, flat side down, on top of the hat body and pull the felt from underneath, while pushing down on the flange. Adjust the height of the brim break to where you want it. Finally let it dry then iron the brim and crown.

AH! That's what I was thinking might work. Thanks so much, Stoney!

BTW, I didn't end up with that tall brown Stetson after all. I just won a black Stetson that I still intend to convert from a Gus crowned Western into a fedora I might wear more regularly. Pics when the hat arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82