Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not exactly the same, Justdog. Note the difference in ribbons. The "shoelace" (or really thin, usually pretty long) ribbon has never been seen on any hat marked Open Road.

Stetson7.jpg

Stetson20ThinRib2.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Soveriegn

Lefty said:
It's not exactly the same, Justdog. Note the difference in ribbons. The "shoelace" (or really thin, usually pretty long) ribbon has never been seen on any hat marked Open Road.

Yes . I see what you are saying. Must clarify as this seems a little out of hand. I may have posted the thin ribbon in the wrong place. Is this thin ribbon open road thread or thin ribbon. I posted the Sovereign 20 unbound edge here as I thought this was a thin ribbon thread. I merely noted the similarity between the physical attributes of each hat dimension wise. Dimensions being brim width and crown height. As for exactly the same I was refering to the sweatband labeling of "Sovereign" Being exactly the same not the entire hat as being mirror image of the Dove grey silverbelly open road sovereign 20 which is soft, a different color and although having a thin ribbon not as thin as the stiffer unbound 20 lace ribbon. I am sure though under other circumstances the OR in the future will be refered by some to be a cowboy hat as well. Most people in these parts so far however are remarking "nice hat":) Obviously I must clarify as I am getting the impression, correct me if I am in error, That I am submitting hats of similar dimensions and calling them Open Roads. This discussion is being covered in another thread. I merely observed the similarities between my labeled open road hats and ones without labels. Particularly brim width model name crown height.
It is curious how certain hats seemingly indistinguishable were produced with subtle variations. My 15 being one such hat. A harder to find light chocolate color. Or the Royal deluxe with snap brim labeled OR a feature not present in 4 of my open road labeled hats. I stated in the thread OR or not OR my feeling is that if the hat is not specifically labled OR than it is an OR style.
I think I received a similar comment about my stetson 100. I may have placed that in the wrong thread as well as someone was quik to point out it was a cowboyish hat although I dont recall ever stating it was an open road. I was merely clarifying that it was not labeled open road. The brim was a tad shy of 3 inches but greater than 2 7/8. It states "stetson 100" in the sweat and therefore is in my definition so far a "stetson 100" It does have a thin ribbon though. The wormser above for example is OR style thin ribbon.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm certainly not saying that they're not nice hats; they are nice, and this is the right place for any thin ribbon. :)

Defining an OR, as you've said, isn't so easy, unless you're willing to go with the claim that any hat that doesn't say Open Road can't be an OR.

Justdog

Practically Family
Marketing

Lefty said:
I'm certainly not saying that they're not nice hats; they are nice, and this is the right place for any thin ribbon. :)

Defining an OR, as you've said, isn't so easy, unless you're willing to go with the claim that any hat that doesn't say Open Road can't be an OR.
Yes the ads posted here are very interesting. I am always curious as to when the hats were manufactured pretty much like an OR but were not labeled as such and when they were labeled and sold as such. There must have been a marketing crossover that was not clearly defined.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/justdog/Hats/SteTsonBrw152.jpg Chocolate 15. Unfinished brims are not real features of the OR either thats why I was curious about the 20 unbound.

Justdog

Practically Family
Justdog said:
Yes the ads posted here are very interesting. I am always curious as to when the hats were manufactured pretty much like an OR but were not labeled as such and when they were labeled and sold as such. There must have been a marketing crossover that was not clearly defined.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/justdog/Hats/SteTsonBrw152.jpg Chocolate 15. Unfinished brims are not real features of the OR either thats why I was curious about the 20 unbound.

I am just refering to the Stetson brand in my post. Sure would be nice to find a definitive dating method. Hats back today from hatter. Still stiffer than I like but that is the style of the hat. Would venture to call the 20 thin ribbon western style or ranch and the 100 the same. 100 has awesome cattleman like crease but not exactly. Both the 20 and the 100 have awesome brims. 20 is a unique pewter color. Beautiful examples of vintage hats at any rate regardless of what their called :)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted this hat in the new hats thread, but I thought I'd better post it here too.

This is a NOS Resistol San Antonio 3X beaver that I bought from a friend of a lounge member. I'm quite pleased with it. The hat arrived open crown, but I'm sure it had a cattleman's crease in it at one time...it took the crease I gave it very easily even dry.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm leaning way over toward leaving it. I have one thin ribbon fedora and another of the same, but a different color, coming. I almost hate to mess with this one as it's a piece of history.

It came open crown and I did put a diamond in it first, but I think I kind of like the cattleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld