Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Stetson has a YouTube ad with a model ( a very attractive one!) wearing a Derby. First, it's nice to see the Derby getting some fashion recognition, and second - she's rocking that hat! It'd be just fine with me if more women wore Derbies.:D

[video=youtube;tso0MvD4xbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tso0MvD4xbE&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Brad

Catchy tune, too!

Alan, you almost look as good as Krista does in hers. :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Just picked up a new fur felt derby at Wichita Hat Works. It's a "house brand" that appears to have originated with Beaver Brand hats.
It has a nice feel to it ... just the right ratio of brim to crown.
I've already worn it twice this week with shirt and tie and a black golf windbreaker jacket.
I'd missed having one to grab on derby day!

Sam

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Stetson Derby crown has a pleasing shape, and I've thought about buying a few Stetson Derbies and experimenting to see if I could "correct" them by recurling into a proper D'Orsay curl and possibly restitching the binding to the brim so that the stitches are hidden. If it worked, I also thought about offering it as a service. But then that sounds like too much work, and I pass on the idea. I also wanted to convince Hatco to offer them under the Dobbs name. I think Derbies are going through a minor resurgence.

Brad

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just picked up a new fur felt derby at Wichita Hat Works. It's a "house brand" that appears to have originated with Beaver Brand hats.
It has a nice feel to it ... just the right ratio of brim to crown.
I've already worn it twice this week with shirt and tie and a black golf windbreaker jacket.
I'd missed having one to grab on derby day!

Sam

Good to know. I have kept those under my radar for at least 3 years, but was hesitant. Those BBs seem to be so readily available, it might be worth grabbing one. Did you post pics of that hat yet? I would love to see it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Not that I'm ready to dive in right now, but given the choice in the future, if I were to get a production derby from Beaver Brand (5X) or Biltmore ("fur felt"), which would be the better choice?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
In Bowler news today, Matt Smith, the current Doctor Who (and one of the best, right behind Tom Baker, I dare say), turned up last night on CBS' "The Late Late Show," with Craig Ferguson, sporting a Bowler. It didn't look like a particularly expensive Bowler, but given the high profile of "Doctor Who" now, it's a hopeful sign that a resurgence could occur.

Since I wear Derbies, one of my students and fellow Doctor Who fan was excited to show this to me this morning.

[video=youtube;ub4QijsSZzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4QijsSZzY[/video]

That's two new videos I've posted in less than a week featuring the Bowler/Derby. Promising, indeed!

Brad

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm both inspired and cautious by these recent derbies showing up in the media! I guess I'm learning something about myself here: if an item of apparel becomes "trendy," I tend to escape as quickly as possible. Not that I really want to stand out that much in a crowd, but if I'm doing something everyone else is at "the moment" then something feels wrong!

Viseguy

New in Town
Heartbreak!

I won this Tress & Co. bowler on the 'Bay a few days ago. It arrived today. This is my first vintage bowler, and I must say it met and exceeded all my expectations based on the auction photos and description. It is quite simply a gorgeous hat!

Sadly, it doesn't fit me. It's a 7-1/2, which is my size for fedoras; however, in a bowler, it's just too big. I have a (modern) Christys bowler in 7-3/8, and it's a bit snug (really wind-proof!), so I was hoping I could get by with 7-1/2 this time. It was not to be. I tried putting inserts into the hat band, but it wasn't enough. It seems I'm out of luck! :Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

Oh, how I wish I could find this hat -- in this condition -- in 7-3/8!

tress1.jpg

tress2.jpg

tress3.jpg

Viseguy

New in Town
What a shame! That is a real beauty, there. Just how stingy is that brim, anyway?

Pretty stingy. I'd say it's about an inch from the side of the hat to the curl. Maybe a shade more.

One thing that impressed me is that the hat is light as a feather. Noticeably lighter than my Christys.

Thanks for commiserating.

Last edited:
Crofut & Knapp Derby

A pearl from the derby/homburg cabinet in my wife's costume shop wardrobe:

knapp1.jpg

Great suspension weave between the sweatband and the hat body:

knapp4.jpg

knapp3.jpg

Originally sold from a shop in Buffalo's historic downtown Statler Hilton:

knapp2.jpg

Manufacturing label:

knapp11.jpg

knapp10.jpg

knapp9.jpg

knapp8.jpg

knapp7.jpg

Last edited:

Viseguy

New in Town
Crofut & Knapp Derby

A pearl from the derby/homburg cabinet in my wife's costume shop wardrobe:
Originally sold from a shop in Buffalo's historic downtown Statler Hilton:

Wow, beautiful! Looks to be in pristine condition.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
The list so far:

United Kingdom: Bowler
United States: Derby
Germany: Melone
France: Chapeau mélon
Sweden: Plommonstop
China: 圓頂小檐邊黑色禮帽, 長禮帽

Who else can contribute?

Brad
In Norway:
Bowlerhatt (Hatt = Hat, I guess that was obvious! lol) but more commonly it's just called a "bowler"

And yes, I know that the post I'm quoting is well over a year old :p

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Alan, that derby is magnificent.

I've modified my new Mallory Aristocrat-Cravenette dealie (the ragtop [cr. HatsEnough], the one that arrived having been cut in half) with some duct tape and electrical tape. I hope that won't be damaging, since it's not permanent. I'm thinking of someday sending this to have someone put a subtle decorative cross- stitching on the outside between the crown and brim with a carboard backing or the like, almost a subtle zombification.

031copy.jpg

047copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1