Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

HatsEnough

Banned
By the way, the seller offered to refund $10 of the $25 purchase price because she didn't think mentioning the fact that the sweatband was detached was important. I didn't ask for any refund, she just offered. That's a good seller.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Its also possible that your union label is a counterfeit. If you read thru some of the old (late 1800's - early 1900's) publications on googlebooks, there is discussion of counterfeiting and fakes of union labels, makers labels, etc.

Can you be more specific please? To which publications do you refer?

HatsEnough

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. However, we also must wonder if the reporter was reporting what the unions were telling him to report! After all, American Hatter was the voice of the industry. It might be hard to believe, but "journalism" in those days was even more untrustworthy than today's.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Can you be more specific please? To which publications do you refer?

I haven't kept any detail on where I've seen it. But there have been several references to it. Probably in the "Clothier and Furnisher", the "American Hatter", newspaper articles, etc. Just do a googlebooks search on "counterfeit union hat" or use "fake" and maybe throw in stamp, tag, label, etc.

B

This movie shows nicely that a bowler is the perfect hat for doffing. No muss, no fuss and no worrying whether your fedora crease and snap went back on the way it came off.

Private label derby for Lord & Taylor

This Lord & Taylor branded derby came in even nicer than I had hoped... excellent condition with lovely felt that has some softness to the touch and brim. Upwards angle to the rear of the bow has a frayed edge. 2" sweatband with a rolled edge. $10.00 price label found underneath. I'm guessing 1930's vintage. Unlike any of my other bowlers, this one fits right and feels great on.

L&T1.jpg

L&T2.jpg

L&T3.jpg

L&T4.jpg

L&T5.jpg

Thanks very much! Lord & Taylor is one of the few surviving brands from the great era of NYC department stores... we have a store in Buffalo and it is much favored by my wife and daughters. It was fun to come home and show them what I bought at L&T... even my wife approved.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Was over on Shorpy and found this pic of the Boardwalk in Atlantic City in 1905 and all the Derbies. I noticed that most are worn higher than one wears a Fedora nowdays. Was this the norm back then and if so does one wear a Bowler/Derby lower today? If you wore it high on the head as they seem to, you'd have to get a smaller sized hat correct ?

4a12634a1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Stetson has a YouTube ad with a model ( a very attractive one!) wearing a Derby. First, it's nice to see the Derby getting some fashion recognition, and second - she's rocking that hat! It'd be just fine with me if more women wore Derbies.:D

[video=youtube;tso0MvD4xbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tso0MvD4xbE&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton